Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - Here goes:

I have aranged a Group Buy for Forged Pistons & Rods. Need a minimum of 10 folks that want to upgrade for this deal otherwise it gets real expensive - Real Fast!!

Contact Person is Buff
Payment Arangements are to be made with Kevin Murphy of Fred Martin Nissan (330) 644-8888

Prices:
Complete Rod & Piston combo (8.5:1) $1,362
Manley Rods Only $862.50
Ross Pistons Only $499.50 (if we get more than 14 piston orders the price drops another $30)
The rods will be extra beefy for F/I usage -

When speaking with Mr. Murphy he will want The Board Name as well as your user name so I can keep tabs on where we're at with the numbers.

We are looking to get this done by 9/15, but we may be able to extend it if needed.

Now Let the questions & ordering BEGIN!!!

I know that some of you don't know me, cause I spend most of my time over at Motoring & the "evil" board, but Jinxy can vouch for me :D

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know what you mean - I'm going to jump on this now even though I won't be going F/I until sometime late next year at the earliest. I've been shopping this kind of stuff for some time & believe me this is way to good to pass up! I've been quoted as much as 4,500 for the same parts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
1. Do the forged pistons run stock compression? If not, what compression ratio?

2. Do you use the stock rings?

3. Is there anything to be gained from installing the forged pistons/rods in an N/A car?

4. How many hours labor to install pistons and rods?

5. What other work should be done while the bottom end is opened up?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Stock CR is 10.3:1 this drops it to 8.5:1...which is f/i c/r...I'd buy the piston mfr's rings to assure fitment.

While the motor's apart....change oil pump to high vol. timing chain...they don't make a gear drive for the VQ...?...(I wish!)

Isn't the block also a 'problem' with big HP mods?...change to a sleeved block, at which point we might as well be doing a gp on stroker kits...

It's my ambition to build a HP motor while I'm wearing this one out...but I still have a lot of homework to do 1st...a stroked TT would be sweet...but would need to be carefully planned & masterfully executed...It's no fun finding toasted parts in the oilpan of a 'fresh' motor.

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lionkiller - you would be correct that the pistons will drop the compression to 8.5:1. Main reason that F/I would want lower compression is to lower the risk of detonation (the BOOM effect)

This is a complete set up: meaning that there are no other parts required to be purchased (other than gaskets) in order to install the rods & pistons.

You are also correct that they do NOT have a gear drive available for the VQ at this time. Would be nice but no-one has tackeled that one yet.

It is my understanding that the VQ block is sleeved & is able to support better than 1000hp (at least that is what the crank can handle)

Yes a strokered up TTkit on a Z would be nice, but you're talking about a TON of $'s to do that.

Since I plan on going F/I in the not too distant future I decided to put this GB together. I'm not making any $'s off of it, but will be reaping the benefits of saving @ $1,500. on these parts.

More than likely I will be doing this install over the winter while my Z is "sleeping". So I'm not sure what the $'s would be to have this installed. I'm also thinking that while I've got the motor stripped down this far maybe do Cams & possibly Heads as well. Might as well do it all at once rather than pay for having it done time after time. Oil pump would be a nice addition, but I'm thinking that an upgraded Fuel system would be more adventageous.

·
Registered
470 Posts
im interested i just bought a vortech super charger and nitrous i need internals im in!!

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
i take it this group buy has been over for a while. if not just PM me and i will reopen

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.