Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The One-Percenters - Roger Ebert's Journal

"The upper 1 percent of Americans are now taking in nearly a quarter of the nation's income every year. In terms of wealth rather than income, the top 1 percent control 40 percent. "Their lot in life has improved considerably. Twenty-five years ago, the corresponding figures were 12 percent and 33 percent."

So I discover in a piece by Joseph E. Stiglitz in the new issue of Vanity Fair. These facts confirm my impression that greed is now seen as a virtue in America. I'm not surprised by the greed of the One-Percenters. I'm mystified by the lack of indignation from so many of the rest of us.
Day after day I read stories that make me angry. Wanton consumption is glorified. Corruption is rewarded. Ordinary people see their real income dropping, their houses sold out from under them, their pensions plundered, their unions legislated against, their health care still under attack. Yes, people in Wisconsin and Ohio have risen up to protest these realities, but why has there not been more outrage?

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Smoke and mirrors thrown up by the media cloud the big picture from view while constantly shifting focus to and fro on a myiad of 'hot button' psudeo issues.

The voting populace is easily polarized and focus groups/pollsters know how to perpetuate this polarization.

Thinking is hard and time consuming...not a popular passtime for the instant gratification generation. Where's that EASY button?

The 1% -ers hire the brightest minds and control the most valuable natural resources. I wonder if they are going to allow a doubling of the population to 14 billion?

More people in the USA now....wealth doesn't spead as far as it used to.

(just thoughts to mull over, i hope these folks who are overburdened by capital are working on good things to benefit humankind, and some probably are, shame on the others)

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just wanted to say that Donald Trump is not one of those nice guys that would benefit mankind. It's people like him that dumb down the nation. He should stick with being in an office running a business, not being a celebrity.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Trumps latest blast of hot air is nothing more than a publicity gambit.

And attacking Obamas birth place? Com'on...there are sooo many other options for mounting an offensive. It's silly to dig that crap up again. Trump won't make a serious run.

After being islolated in the wealth bubble for so long I doubt he has any idea just how poor an excuse of a human being he really is.

·
Registered
722 Posts
If someone breaks the law, throw them in jail. Otherwise get your hand out of their pocket.

Ordinary people see their real income dropping, their houses sold out from under them, [when they don't pay their mortgages, duh] their pensions plundered, [plundered?] their unions legislated against, [the unions don't represent "the people" they represent themselves at the expense of those who pay them. In Wisconsin, that's the taxpayers....AKA "the people"] their health care still under attack. [from the federal government, no less] Yes, people [ union special interests] in Wisconsin and Ohio have risen up to protest these realities, but why has there not been more outrage? [because we are happy about it]
I'll be in town all week. Don't forget to tip your waitress.

·
4,328 Posts
If someone breaks the law, throw them in jail. Otherwise get your hand out of their pocket.

Ordinary people see their real income dropping, their houses sold out from under them, [when they don't pay their mortgages, duh] their pensions plundered, [plundered?] their unions legislated against, [the unions don't represent "the people" they represent themselves at the expense of those who pay them. In Wisconsin, that's the taxpayers....AKA "the people"] their health care still under attack. [from the federal government, no less] Yes, people [ union special interests] in Wisconsin and Ohio have risen up to protest these realities, but why has there not been more outrage? [because we are happy about it]
I'll be in town all week. Don't forget to tip your waitress.
That was sorta weak...

-Ronin Z

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
The article is little more than petty, jealous drivel.
I agree completely. Honestly, I don't even understand why we are having this conversation. On "the other site" they are talking about a fucking revolution to solve the "problem". They have elevated this to the point of a conspiracy theory; bunch of Glenn Becks over there in that thread...

What is happening to America?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't care how much money my neighbor has.

The article is little more than petty, jealous drivel.
I disagree.
Equal opportunity or equal outcomes.

Pick one.
The problem with that concept is this: You have a lot of people out there willing to bend the laws, skirt the legal to illegal fence, push a little extra because they have little or no morals, or downright walk all over people to get ahead and be better than everyone else.

There are so many independently wealthy people, which is great, but a lot of those people are the cheapest, meanest, rudest people I've ever met. They really don't care about others. It's all about themselves and how they can compare to their neighbors.

I really don't know why that's so hard for some people to understand. I am all for opportunity and making a better life, but not at the price of being a douchebag.

·
Registered
722 Posts
It's all about themselves and how they can compare to their neighbors.
Isn't it the OP article that's making the comparison?

I really don't know why that's so hard for some people to understand. I am all for opportunity and making a better life, but not at the price of being a douchebag.
Part of allowing people to be free, is allowing them to be unlikeable.

If they break laws, throw them in jail. If they are just (legal) douchebags, don't invite them to your parties.

I don't understand why we care how much money other people have. (other than old-fashioned envy)

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The debate has evolved from the original article in this thread. It's impossible to discuss anything w/o it evolving. That's easy to understand.

I don't care how much money others have, either. I make good money, but I'm not an ******* and I didn't get to this point by being one or taking advantage of a system.

The point that I'm trying to make, which you are obviously ignoring or being obtuse about, is that we are talking about the huge disparity that seems to be happening in this country and how little attention it's getting. I consider myself middle class. I can't stand it when someone in a higher class bitches and moans about their lot in life because they think they deserve better.

And I don't invite them to my parties. :lol:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll have to come back to this thread later. Suffice it to say that nothing will change my mind about how I feel regarding those 1 percenters. Occasionally, I'll see a story about someone extraordinary, which I applaud and am happy to see. Those stories are uplifting.

·
Registered
722 Posts
The point that I'm trying to make, which you are obviously ignoring or being obtuse about, is that we are talking about the huge disparity that seems to be happening in this country and how little attention it's getting.
I see no reason that a "huge disparity" in income should matter to anyone.... other than envy.

Everyone has different interests and tallents. Unequall outcomes are byproducts of free people chasing different dreams with different levels of success.

The fact that some are douchebags, doesn't really matter until they do something illegal.

Douchebags are not limited to any particular income level, anyway.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I disagree.

The problem with that concept is this: You have a lot of people out there willing to bend the laws, skirt the legal to illegal fence, push a little extra because they have little or no morals, or downright walk all over people to get ahead and be better than everyone else.

There are so many independently wealthy people, which is great, but a lot of those people are the cheapest, meanest, rudest people I've ever met. They really don't care about others. It's all about themselves and how they can compare to their neighbors.

None of this matters though, Smooth. If they are breaking laws then, sure, I think we will all agree that something needs to change. So you don't like them because they are wealthy, rude, and cheap. Ok, great, so what do we do, make laws to make it illegal to be wealthy beyond a certain point? Make laws about being a douche bag?

The debate has evolved from the original article in this thread. It's impossible to discuss anything w/o it evolving. That's easy to understand.

I don't care how much money others have, either. I make good money, but I'm not an ******* and I didn't get to this point by being one or taking advantage of a system.

The point that I'm trying to make, which you are obviously ignoring or being obtuse about, is that we are talking about the huge disparity that seems to be happening in this country and how little attention it's getting. I consider myself middle class. I can't stand it when someone in a higher class bitches and moans about their lot in life because they think they deserve better.

Smooth, you sound like an economic and class 'racist'. You hate a group of people based on stereotypes that you think are true of all of them.

He's not ignoring your point or being obtuse, it just isn't relevant to the conversation. You're not making an argument based on facts or law that explains to me why it's okay to limit wealth or take it away. You're just giving us your feelings about rich people. You hate rich people, we get it.

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts

To be honest, I can't stand it when anyone bitches and moans about their lot in life. There will always be someone else with more, and someone else with less. Many with more got it through hard work and perseverance and many with less got there through lack of the same. Some fall into a pile of **** and come out smelling like a rose, and others come out smelling like dung. I can't stand rude obnoxious people whether they are rich or poor - their financial standing has no bearing on it at all. I just think it is a total waste of my time and resources to become indignant about the super-rich, and I have to agree with Z1ONLY - the money doesn't make the ******* even if the ******* has the money. Of course I don't know any billionaires so maybe I am all wet on this. :dunno:

1 - 20 of 71 Posts