Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
long story short I have the greddy tt kit that I bought from Intense motorsports. After they were installed I had about 5000 miles on them I noticed smoke coming from the exhaust it was minor so I thought nothing of it. I hit 6000mi and I looked like the mosquito truck going down the street. I removed the piping to see what was going on and the right turbo was blowing oil like crazy. All the piping and IC were full of oil. I asked around and everyone said the kit was installed wrong and greddy wont fix it. well I knew there was nothing wrong with the install. So I removed the turbo's and sent them to Intense and had them sent off anyway. I bugged Intense about every two weeks and i'm sure they got sick of me calling but they kept checking for me.

Well after 3 1/2 months haun calls me and says hey your turbo's are on their way. I asked well how much is the repair and he was like well its free there was a defect with the turbo. I don't know if it has to do with being one of the first kits or not but they are fixed. So when I get home in a few weeks I can get my Z back on the road. Thanks Intense...

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
This should be moved to the Good Guys/Bad Guys section.

Very cool. :clap:

·
Registered
583 Posts
Isn't 3.5 months a little too long to wait on a replacement part? Congrats on getting it back on the road soon though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought the wait was long because I love to drive her. Thank god I had another car to drive or it would have been worse for me. I just hope I havent forgotten how to drive her by the time she's back on the road.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I need a few questions answered...cause I have the greddy kit and am having some smoking issues and I have about the same amount of miles on the turbos as you claim. I notice smoke coming from the exhaust and notice it to be oil smoke. Now I really can make my car smoke when I compression brake my car(ride fourth gear out to about 3-4 grand, then let my foot off of the gas and let the engine brake the car) and my car is pulling 25 in/hg of vacuum. And i will have a smoke cloud behind to the point where I can't see anymore. I sorta believe this to be the turbo seals going bad on me. But wasn't really sure...so im really looking for some input on this. Thanks james

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by boostd350z@Sep 21 2005, 06:11 PM
I need a few questions answered...cause I have the greddy kit and am having some smoking issues and I have about the same amount of miles on the turbos as you claim. I notice smoke coming from the exhaust and notice it to be oil smoke. Now I really can make my car smoke when I compression brake my car(ride fourth gear out to about 3-4 grand, then let my foot off of the gas and let the engine brake the car)  and my car is pulling 25 in/hg of vacuum. And i will have a smoke cloud behind to the point where I can't see anymore. I sorta believe this to be the turbo seals going bad on me. But wasn't really sure...so im really looking for some input on this. Thanks james
[snapback]157160[/snapback]​

Thats about what mine was doing at first. then I had people tell me that it was still smoking when I was stopped. pull your intake tubes off and check for oil next to the turbo. there was oil with mine. then if there is then I would pull the compressor side off and start the car and see if you have oil spurting out the hole of the turbo. I would recommend that you put some type of cloth or covering around your fenders and stuff so you don't get oil everywhere if they are bad. I found out the hard way and had a hard time cleaning up. If yours is bad enough you might just check you IC piping where its 2 in and check for oil. there shouldn't be any oil there so if there is your turbo or turbos are needing rebuilding.

If they are less than a year old they should still be under warranty. one thing I have been told is if you didn't change you oil like you should or if you got debris in your oil that caused the wear down that they will charge you for the repairs.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Originally posted by tleclipse+Sep 21 2005, 06:57 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-boostd350z
@Sep 21 2005, 06:11 PM
I need a few questions answered...cause I have the greddy kit and am having some smoking issues and I have about the same amount of miles on the turbos as you claim. I notice smoke coming from the exhaust and notice it to be oil smoke. Now I really can make my car smoke when I compression brake my car(ride fourth gear out to about 3-4 grand, then let my foot off of the gas and let the engine brake the car) and my car is pulling 25 in/hg of vacuum. And i will have a smoke cloud behind to the point where I can't see anymore. I sorta believe this to be the turbo seals going bad on me. But wasn't really sure...so im really looking for some input on this. Thanks james
[snapback]157160[/snapback]​

Thats about what mine was doing at first. then I had people tell me that it was still smoking when I was stopped. pull your intake tubes off and check for oil next to the turbo. there was oil with mine. then if there is then I would pull the compressor side off and start the car and see if you have oil spurting out the hole of the turbo. I would recommend that you put some type of cloth or covering around your fenders and stuff so you don't get oil everywhere if they are bad. I found out the hard way and had a hard time cleaning up. If yours is bad enough you might just check you IC piping where its 2 in and check for oil. there shouldn't be any oil there so if there is your turbo or turbos are needing rebuilding.

If they are less than a year old they should still be under warranty. one thing I have been told is if you didn't change you oil like you should or if you got debris in your oil that caused the wear down that they will charge you for the repairs.
[snapback]157168[/snapback]​

Well they got installed around the end of august last year. I drove on them for about 4,000 miles and then tore the car apart in november last year in preperation for a built motor. And didn't really get the car finalized and done until about a month ago and they now have about maybe 7,000 miles on the turbos. And the car is smoking like a chimney! So I guess I will have to put some things apart this weekend and see what I can find out about the oil in the intake pipes and such. It truely sucks cause I don't deal with the shop anymore that bought the turbo kit and did the install for me. So this should be interesting to see how greddy goes about it if this is in fact the problem. I know the shop ordered my kit and stuff from Avalon Raacing and it was one of the first kits in production cause I also had problems with the Greddy oil pan with pin holes in the casting. And the shop tried to weld some of them up and then there were still holes and Greddy refused to fix it because we tried to fix the problem already! Thats BS if you ask me! But im considering taking my car to Altered Atmosphere cause I certainly think that they can manage to take care of my car and get it running right for me! I really appreciate the info man thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey Boosted,

If you cant wait that long for the turbos there is a turbo repair shop in houston texas that repairs the greddy turbos for $300 a turbo plus parts. I know its expensive but its another route if you need it.

If you cut out your grill like I did then you should be able to remove the lower ic pipe and check for oil there and the way you say your smokin there should be plenty there in that pipe.

Call Avalon or e-mail them on this forum. They should be able to get your turbos to greddy for you. I have bought stuff from Avalon before and those guys are very helpful.

·
Registered
171 Posts
hey tleclipse,

Whats the name of the shop in texas that repairs the turbos...its not jo-tech is it?! Either way I wouldn't mind it if you could give me the name of the place and how I might be able to contact them in the future. Cause im about to take some of my baby apart tomorrow morning and that should probably tell the story. Thanks, James

1 - 11 of 11 Posts