Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it safe to run the greddy tt on stock internals. And is this kit complete. Or do you need to buy more crap for it.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Is it safe to run the greddy tt on stock internals. And is this kit complete. Or do you need to buy more crap for it.
Yes, with a safe tune, right parts, and proper install it is entirely possible to achieve around 420 RWHP.

No, you will also need a BOV and either a GReddy ignition timing harness (for the eManage) or swapping to a new engine management system (TurboXS UTEC is my favorite right now).

I recommend a fuel pump upgrade at around 380-400 RWHP, and a fuel return system at around 400-420+ RWHP.

So yes, you need to buy more crap for it.

BTW, you are going to get the GReddy FMIC with it, right?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I would get the kit with the intercooler. I was just tempted cause I can get it dirt cheap, but if I have to get all the other stuff just to make it run safe I don't know then.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
You might want to look into the Turbonetics single turbo. It appears to be a little more simple than the TT installs and tunes. Instead of tuning, most are just getting an ECU reflash.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
go with APS , they are the safest so far, and most complete kit out there.
they are not the cheapest though.
but its worth it

·
Registered
14 Posts
go with APS , they are the safest so far, and most complete kit out there.
they are not the cheapest though.
but its worth it
Everyone thought the APS was the safest, a lot of cars are burning oil (and some engines have blown up) and afaik you're not able to turn the boost up very much, sounds like a deal only $7,900!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Yes it is so far 17k miles and almost 18 months and I am not gentle with her I have my fun. But as mentioned you need to address some thing before turning up the boost. I am at 401 and added a fuel pump and J&S Safeguard to address the timing I would suggest that route as the ignition harness is still a crapshoot as some still blow coils. I am at the limits of the fuel delivery system and to go further I need a fuel return system.

Everyone thought the APS was the safest, a lot of cars are burning oil (and some engines have blown up) and afaik you're not able to turn the boost up very much, sounds like a deal only $7,900!
That is a misconception so far no engines have blown up directly due to the APS kit but from install and attempts at tuning it, stock out of the box it has been safe and so far the burning oil has been attributed to install and mainly with the Single turbos.

When you add up what I have spent on my Greddy to get it even with the APS out of the box it is almost the same:
Greddy Kit approx 5,500.00
e01 controller 500.00
J&S Safeguard 400.00
Wabro Fuel pump 100.00
Autosport Harness 300.00
Tunning 400.00
Total 7,200.00

Add anther 200-300 for a fuel return system closer to the APS one to be able to go higher in boost than 8.5 or so which the APS already has and you are at the same price.

So as you can see pretty close to the APS cost out of the box and much cleaner install both inside and engine bay. And if you go for the Single APS then it is even cheaper.

As for turning up the boost the APS comes at around 8.5 and with test pipes and dual exhaust puts out around 400 RWHP.

·
Registered
728 Posts

On stock internals, with the right exhaust, you can easily aproach 500 whp with nothing more than a tune on the APS TT kit. IMO, the biggest issue with the APS kit is the smoke. Beyond that, it is golden. Want more power, you are going to have to pull your motor and build your lower end. For a couple hundred bucks, just upgrade the actuators while it's out and you will make all the boost you want.

·
Registered
728 Posts
i think the smoke issue is with the Greddy TT as well. not only with APS.

I have only heard of one issue with smoking on the greddy kit. There are at least a dozen, if not many more with the aps kit

·
Registered
728 Posts
wow
but what causes the smoke to come out like that?
what is the main reason its on one kit and not the other.

many potential causes:
excess oil
improper oil returns - not installed properly
kinked returns
bad seals on the turbos

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Yes it is so far 17k miles and almost 18 months and I am not gentle with her I have my fun. But as mentioned you need to address some thing before turning up the boost. I am at 401 and added a fuel pump and J&S Safeguard to address the timing I would suggest that route as the ignition harness is still a crapshoot as some still blow coils. I am at the limits of the fuel delivery system and to go further I need a fuel return system.
That is a misconception so far no engines have blown up directly due to the APS kit but from install and attempts at tuning it, stock out of the box it has been safe and so far the burning oil has been attributed to install and mainly with the Single turbos.

When you add up what I have spent on my Greddy to get it even with the APS out of the box it is almost the same:
Greddy Kit approx 5,500.00
e01 controller 500.00
J&S Safeguard 400.00
Wabro Fuel pump 100.00
Autosport Harness 300.00
Tunning 400.00
Total 7,200.00

Add anther 200-300 for a fuel return system closer to the APS one to be able to go higher in boost than 8.5 or so which the APS already has and you are at the same price.

So as you can see pretty close to the APS cost out of the box and much cleaner install both inside and engine bay. And if you go for the Single APS then it is even cheaper.

As for turning up the boost the APS comes at around 8.5 and with test pipes and dual exhaust puts out around 400 RWHP.
The tuning is a little expensive + the Autosport harness is definitely not a requirement, but a good extra part to get, especially if you plan on selling.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
The tuning is a little expensive + the Autosport harness is definitely not a requirement, but a good extra part to get, especially if you plan on selling.
Well the tuning was noa single step process, it was original tune with base kit then a couple of tuning sessions as I added parts and stepped up in boost.

The harness not a necessity but nice to have specially if you do not do all things at once.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The basic upgrades for the Greddy kit as as follows

Return Fuel System
Walbro 255
Timing Harness
Boost controller

The timing harness does not blow coils, if diodes are used, and the key is never left in the on position while the motor is not running.

Guys, none of the kits are perfect out the box, and at the end of the day, you are going to spend equal amount of money, regardless of which kit you decide on.

The APS kits tend to bleed boost at high RPM.....probably due to the boost actuators.

The Turbonetics and APS kits tend to run pig rich

And the Greddy kit is more of a tuner kit.

Once they are all dialed in....all the kits perform great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi guys....very old thread ..but i have been reading aroung a little... im going to install a Greddy TT kit myself.. and im wondering why i NEED a fuel return system??

im just going to have way under 400whp

1 - 19 of 19 Posts