Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:banghead:

I have a GReddy TT kit that I have been waiting to install but I'm worried about blowing my motor after reading all of the other posts about fallen VQs.

Right now I have the Kinetix V4 Plenum and HF Cats installed as well as a return fuel setup. I am only interested in running the stock 5.6 boost and I will honestly be happy with whatever WHP that gives me. GReddy tells me that if I run it exactly how it comes from them (i.e. no boost controller, ignition harness or any other add ons) then I will be fine. They attribute all of the blown motors to either user error on install or high boost etc. I have asked them about specific problems like the CAS wire, which they say is not the cause of problems. They also tell me to not even attempt the ignition harness...with or without diodes, they say that either way it is not intended for the Z

I've probably read every post I could find related to the GReddy issues but the more I read the more insecure I become.

Can anyone give me some definitive answers? Are there any GReddy reps on this forum?

THANK YOU!

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
There are several resident experts on the Greddy, Kshep being the main one on this board. I am sure he will chime in sooner or later. However, scroll through some of the posts/threads in this section and you might find what you're looking for. I know this subject has been debated numerous times.

Other experts would be Going Deep, gq 626, duflacci, all members who have been there and done that. I'm sure there's more members, but for the moment these are the guys I see a lot of posts from.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would recommend leaving it at the stock Greddy boost levels until you plan on building the engine....just not worth blowing your motor. Cause then you have to buy a new block. Cause I can say been there done that!

·
Registered
182 Posts
This is a cut and paste of one of my previous posts on the subject of a GReddy TT kit out of the box.

Immediate:
>Leave it at the stock boost setting of 5.6psi. You said that you were expecting 7 or 8psi, but the GReddy kit comes with a stock setting of 5.6psi. Someone mentioned to "turn it down", but you cannot turn it down because that is the stock setting. The stock setting is based on the spring capacity in your wastegates. w/o getting to involved into how a waste gate works....you cannot turn it down. DO NOT go past stock boost!
>You need to buy the GReddy timing harness and pull timing. The actual timing harness will require you to get some diodes too, and I will let you know what capacity they should be after I look it up.
>Did you install NGK 1 step colder plugs? You need to have a step colder plugs, because you will now be generating more power and thus more heat. The last thing you want is a spark plug sparking prematurely!
>Always try to get the best gas, at the very minimum I hope you can get 91octane.

Not so immediate:
>I would recommend you get a Walbro fuel pump 255lph. It should only run you about 110 and the install is very simple too. This will be a safty precaution and make sure you are meeting the new fuel requirements.
> I would recommend a wide band gauge. Such as AEM afr. This will tell you exactly what your air/fuel ratio is in real time!
> I would also recommend an egt or exhaust gas temperature gauge too. This will be able to give you another indication of possible lean condition occuring...that would lead to high temps. Although this is not as crucial if you get the AEM wideband.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Going Deep... This is what I have in right now waiting for install:

Areomotive FPR w/ Walbro 255 pump and return setup.
AEM UGEO Wide Band
GReddy EGT Gauge
GReddy Boost Gauge
GReddy Turbo Timer
GReddy RS BOV

I will have the one step colder plugs prior to install

I have the ignition harness but the GReddy Tech told me not to install it, even with diodes???? What capacity diodes did you use? Is there a diagram out there for this?

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
[/quote]
You need 6 three (3) amp .200PIV diodes...Radio Shack part number 276-1143.
If you need a wiring schematic for the e-manage + diodes PM me your e-mail and I'll send you one.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I wouldn't worry about blowing your motor as long as you trust your tuner. 90% of how reliable your turbocharger kit will be is tuning.

Oh and, don't expect any GReddy reps to come on any 350Z forum any time soon. I doubt they'd get any appreciation from their customers. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts