Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys notice a drop in voltage(like to 11v from 14.4) when your idling with your amp pushing hard.. Im only pushing one 10 in @ 1 ohm with A kicker kx300... Guess I need to install my Capacitor. Also I heard your ground wire should be 2 gauges thicker than your pwr any input?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Is the voltage drop continuous or only when the amp is maxing out? if it is continuous there may be a different problem, I had 450 watts of amplification and noticed very little voltage drop under normal situations. how is your power and ground wiring configured?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Like fillup and Toykilla said. If you do need a cap you should only need a .5 in size. Besides that check all your wire and make sure you have a solid ground and power (nothing is lose). I have seen where the fuse was the wrong size in the amp and causing everything to short out.

Hope this helps

John

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IM using 8 gauge pwr and grounding wire.. also have my remote turn on jacked into the fuse box where the 12v fuse is. havnt blown any fuses. I may need to go to 6 gauge I have a 1 farad capacitor its about 3 yrs old but it should still work ok

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
I think 8 gauge wire is too small for a 10", but I don't see how that would mess with your voltage.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive been in car audio sense before i could drive I have done all my installs myself. I know I should have used a lower gauge pwr wire but it doesnt matter what size your sub is its the amp im only pushing 400-- or so certified watts but its pushing a 1 ohm which stresses the amp moreso than running in 4ohms or higher. I just guess the alternator cant keep up with the amp unless the car is moving. and its only when im bump it up on some hard DB's that it varies to 10 volts on the meter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts