Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get one of the add on xm units, the kind you can bring in the house if you want to. See to me my bose system is ok i'm not radio crazy Ü I just dodn't have any good stations here to listen to while I drive to work. Has anyone installed one of these if so can you answer these questions for me.
1- i don't want to use the tape part to play the xm I want to use the wireless fm modulator, do they sound ok, does it sound just as good as a standard radio signal?
2 - Where did you put the magnet antenna, I would like to keep it inside the car some where in the hatch if it would pick up i'm not going to stick it out side the car that to me would look wrong. I had a nissan spec v and I borrowed my buddys xm for a trip and i put the antenna in the back glass hatch and it picked up good, so can i do it in the z?

3 - I guess I would want to mount it in the console above the radio but when it is open the door is huge , where can I get one of the nav cubbys everyone has and is it hard to instal?

I also saw this and im not sure if i could go this route???
http://performancenissanparts.com/catalog/...roducts_id=2519

Thanks to anyone for their help i'm not to smart on radio stuff..

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've got a Roady2 mounted in my nav cubby running through the auxiliary input on my Bose head unit with a plug-in interface and a hardwired power supply. This type of installation only works on a 2004 or later with a head unit that has a "RADIO" button, not an "AM/FM" button.

I don't know what year you have, but here's a link to the thread on 350z Motoring where I discussed how I set it up: Roady 2 Link

If you have any questions after reading the thread, PM me and I'll try to help you out.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2005 350z, it has the bose system with the radio button.
I was looking at getting the roday 2 like you have. How did you plu it up to the auxiliary input ??? and does it sound good? did you put the antenna under the rear strut bar?

Do you have a standard consloe where the nav should be, I do and the door is huge when it is open any way to change it?

Thanx for the help...

·
Registered
15 Posts
[/quote]

I just modified my post above - forgot the link the first time.

I have a roadster, so I mounted the antenna on top of the dash between the vents.
The PAC AAI-NIS interface plugs into the wiring harness between the Roady2 and the head unit. You have to remove the console and get to the back of the radio to do it. You also need a 6 volt power supply. If you try to run the Roady2 on 12 volts, you'll fry it.

I have the standard console. The Roady2 fits into it and leaves a little room to put other small items beside it.

Here's the link with the details again: http://www.350zmotoring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22842

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so once you hook this inpout adapter up the roady will play through the bose, how do you select it?? do you hit the radio buttoin and it goes to it, what does the radio say when you select it??? how hard is the PAC AAI-NIS plug-in interface to install?
thanx for answering my questions..

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just PM'd you with more info. The radio button will have SAT1 and SAT2 inputs in addition to AM and FM after the interface is installed. You have to remove the console to do the installation. There are links to where to get the parts and to dash removal in the thread I mentioned above.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I read the thread man, thanks a bunch I really mean it. I am going to get this set up and the roady 2 this week when I get paid. Is the sound good on the sat, better than fm ? I only have one good fm station here and I drive like 40 minutes to work every day.. I found a link to get the 6volt converter will this work? http://www.myradiostore.us/power-accessori...er-adapter.html
I would like to get a nav cubby now so the lid opens up farther than the stock one I got but im not sure where to get one.
Thank you again...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since it is supposed to be satellite ready will this kit work? I guess the bose would controll the xm if you add this kit? If so I may go this route instead of buying the PAC AAI NIS auxillary input adapter, and a roady 2 , then having to get the nav door so it will look good open. Heres the link, i guess it comes with the antenna and everything??
http://performancenissanparts.com/catalog/...roducts_id=2519

oh yeah is resecption good with the antenna under the rear strut bar?

Thanks for any help...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here's a pictue of the Roady2 Antenna in my Roadster:

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here's a picture of the power supply mounted under the lighter socket on the passenger side. It's strapped to a tab on the dash with a big cable tie:

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here's a shot of the Roady2 in the cubby. I used the swivel base that came with the Roady2 and mounted it straight against the back of the cubby. I had to sand the fuzzy stuff off the cubby to get the adhesive to stick. You can angle the Roady2 toward you to see it better while you're driving.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
[/quote]

Hey Borg! I had a Roady2 in my 350Z and used the PAC auxillary interface. I listen to Sirius now so have no need for the Roady2. Anyway, there's no need to buy the hardwire adapter because all you need to do is wire a separate cig lighter receiver and plug the XM power cord to that. I hate extra wires. The cig lighter receiver can be gotten from Radio Shack for about $10. It's easy to wire (you can put the 'hot' wire for the plug into the fuse panel by the driver's door) and then ground the black wire to the car...there's a spot under the dash that's easy to get to.

If you need more details, contact me and I'll help as best I can. Hey, if I can do it, you can do it too. You'll also need some wires for the PAC interface (2 phone plugs into 1 stereo plug), Radio Shack has them in stock too. Oh, I have my current antenna on the dash by the window attached via velcro on the ledge between the defroster vents. I get great signal from there and the tiny antenna is barely noticeable.

I know this is out of the blue and sounds silly, but I still have a Roady2 that I don't use anymore. I have the teeny tiny antenna as well as the power plug and a vent clip. There's not a scratch on the unit or the screen as I had a PDA screen protector on it. Anyway, if you'd want it, I'd sell this stuff to you for $50, if you'd want it. It's just sitting around here anyway and it would save you a couple of bucks to put toward the PAC interface.

Either way, if I can help, let me know. You're gonna be hooked on satellite radio. :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought a roady2 today at sears so I am one step closer to having my xm system. now i need to order the PAC AAI-NIS aux input connector, what type of cable will I need to get it to plug up to the roady 2? or to the car any??

I think you might need this cable but im unsure can somone check it out for me?
http://www.myradiostore.us/audio-cables/6-...-y-adapter.html

·
Registered
15 Posts
[/quote]

That's the type of cable you need to plug the Roady2 into the PAC box. The PAC comes with it's own wiring harness, and plugs between the Bose and the wiring harness on the car.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I decided to put it here and I stood it up on the open door of the coin holder. This way you can see it. I have not permantly fixed it to anything I am waiting on my harness to the radio to come in, but i think i'm gonna just attach it with velcro and make sure you cant see it. I didn't want to put it in my cubby because the door is huge when its open.. I have not ran the cables yet so don't pay any atention to them Ü
Take a look and tell me what you think..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts