Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Well I took my car to the Nissan Dealership again today for my 3rd gear grind. It was in once already for the problem but they couldnt duplicate it. It got incredibly worse so I took it in today and was like if they cant duplicate it I'm gonna take the tech for a ride. Well the tech didnt even get out of the parking lot when he turned the car around took the papers and slapped them on the service guys desk and said yea he needs a new one. So now I have a brand new 05 tranny, clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, you name it in my Z. Cant wait to see how it drives. Just got a call that it was finished. Glad to know it finally got fixed. :irock:

Now I just need to get the 8 inch crack on the outside of my windshield fixed. DOH!!!!! :banghead:

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Originally posted by Burnt350@Jul 13 2005, 04:13 PM
Hey everyone.  Well I took my car to the Nissan Dealership again today for my 3rd gear grind.  It was in once already for the problem but they couldnt duplicate it.  It got incredibly worse so I took it in today and was like if they cant duplicate it I'm gonna take the tech for a ride.  Well the tech didnt even get out of the parking lot when he turned the car around took the papers and slapped them on the service guys desk and said yea he needs a new one.  So now I have a brand new 05 tranny, clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, you name it in my Z.  Cant wait to see how it drives.  Just got a call that it was finished.  Glad to know it finally got fixed.  :irock: 

Now I just need to get the 8 inch crack on the outside of my windshield fixed.  DOH!!!!!  :banghead:
[snapback]131515[/snapback]​

Great news on the new tranny, and I have a horrible crack too, gotta get it fixed soon :OMG:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hope your second transmission lasts longer than mine did :(

Cat, thats such a purdy Z you gots.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Zboy@Jul 13 2005, 02:43 PM

[snapback]131544[/snapback]​

How long did yours last? It better dang last or else Im gonna have a hissy fit. Ok that made me sounds [email protected] :doh: . Im gonna get mad. There thats better. :irock:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Originally posted by Burnt350+Jul 13 2005, 02:49 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Zboy
@Jul 13 2005, 02:43 PM

How long did yours last? It better dang last or else Im gonna have a hissy fit. Ok that made me sounds [email protected] :doh: . Im gonna get mad. There thats better. :irock:
[snapback]131549[/snapback]​

First one went at... according to the reciept 9000 miles ( Ithought it was 7500). Second one started grinding a while ago but its finally bad enough that I brought it in at 15,300 miles.

I know it pisses a lot of people off to hear me complain but I am gonna sell the car. I cant get stuck in a lemon like this. So I have been throwing my hissy fit for a few days now...

but, give yours time, quite a few people had theirs fixed the first time...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Zboy+Jul 13 2005, 02:57 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 13 2005, 02:49 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Zboy
@Jul 13 2005, 02:43 PM

[snapback]131549[/snapback]​

First one went at... according to the reciept 9000 miles ( Ithought it was 7500). Second one started grinding a while ago but its finally bad enough that I brought it in at 15,300 miles.

I know it pisses a lot of people off to hear me complain but I am gonna sell the car. I cant get stuck in a lemon like this. So I have been throwing my hissy fit for a few days now...

but, give yours time, quite a few people had theirs fixed the first time...
[snapback]131556[/snapback]​

Well this got replaced at 28K miles. So far so good. Clutch is a whole lot stiffer cause I have a brand new one also I noticed that 5th-6th gear arent over as far as they were in my 2003 tranny. I like it though. It grabs really good.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Git mine replaced at 31k warrentied. (thanks Nissan) Threw in JWT clutch and flywheel while they were in there no charge for install. (thanks Nissan)

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
congrats! my tranny was replaced at 20k about a year ago and has been working great ever since!

·
Registered
543 Posts
So... what does Nissan do with alll these used bad transmissions? Did they give me a refurb for a second? Or was it a new one with the exact same design?

I have heard about the magic 008 model, but AFAIK having bought mine in Nov 04, I should have had one originally... and then the replacment one would have surely been the newest and best.

Do they have a giant friggin room filled with thousands of bad transmissions? Thats gotta cost nissan so much $$

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by Zboy@Jul 14 2005, 09:11 AM
So... what does Nissan do with alll these used bad transmissions?  Did they give me a refurb for a second?  Or was it a new one with the exact same design?

I have heard about the magic 008 model, but AFAIK having bought mine in Nov 04, I should have had one originally... and then the replacment one would have surely been the newest and best.

Do they have a giant friggin room filled with thousands of bad transmissions?  Thats gotta cost nissan so much $$
[snapback]131774[/snapback]​

The dealership ships the bad transmission to California to have them take it apart and figure out what was wrong with it. My new tranny had a build date of 2005.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Originally posted by Burnt350+Jul 14 2005, 09:55 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Zboy
@Jul 14 2005, 09:11 AM
So... what does Nissan do with alll these used bad transmissions?  Did they give me a refurb for a second?  Or was it a new one with the exact same design?

Do they have a giant friggin room filled with thousands of bad transmissions?  Thats gotta cost nissan so much $$

The dealership ships the bad transmission to California to have them take it apart and figure out what was wrong with it. My new tranny had a build date of 2005.
[snapback]131791[/snapback]​

So after how many thousand transmission disassemblies do they discover what the problem is?

Did you actually LOOK at your transmission? I was told mine is new too, and I dont know whether or not to believe it, but new or not, it failed in exactly the same way... it really makes me suspicious.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by Zboy+Jul 14 2005, 11:57 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 14 2005, 09:55 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Zboy
So... what does Nissan do with alll these used bad transmissions? Did they give me a refurb for a second? Or was it a new one with the exact same design?

Do they have a giant friggin room filled with thousands of bad transmissions? Thats gotta cost nissan so much $$

So after how many thousand transmission disassemblies do they discover what the problem is?

Did you actually LOOK at your transmission? I was told mine is new too, and I dont know whether or not to believe it, but new or not, it failed in exactly the same way... it really makes me suspicious.
[snapback]131864[/snapback]​

I didnt see that actual tranny but I had to go get stuff out of my car and they ahd all the boxes and all out there. tranny, clutch, flywheel, covers, gears, bushing. all in new nissan packaging so I am guess it was new. Plus I was told it was new and not remanufactured. They ahd to call Nissan to get the approval to do it with a brand new one and they got the ok.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Originally posted by Burnt350+Jul 14 2005, 11:55 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Zboy

yep that's what they do w/ it R&D........

·
Registered
543 Posts
Originally posted by jinxxycat+Jul 14 2005, 02:55 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 14 2005, 11:55 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Zboy

[snapback]132044[/snapback]​

Thats what I have heard, but honestly I dont buy that. They have been doing tranny swaps and claiming they will research the tranny since the first few months in 03. I have done enough searches now to have found them. And they have to have done THOUSANDS of swaps.

So it takes them 2 years to figure out the synchros are not strong enough? And it takes thousands of transmissions? I dont think I buy that...

I think thats what the dealer tells you so that you believe the problem is not common.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by Zboy+Jul 14 2005, 03:44 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 14 2005, 02:55 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Zboy

Thats what I have heard, but honestly I dont buy that. They have been doing tranny swaps and claiming they will research the tranny since the first few months in 03. I have done enough searches now to have found them. And they have to have done THOUSANDS of swaps.

So it takes them 2 years to figure out the synchros are not strong enough? And it takes thousands of transmissions? I dont think I buy that...

I think thats what the dealer tells you so that you believe the problem is not common.
[snapback]132063[/snapback]​

My dealership said this is like the 5th one they have done. They told me it is common and they just put new trannys, clutches, flywheels, plates, atc. in to make it easier.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Originally posted by Burnt350+Jul 15 2005, 08:43 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 14 2005, 03:44 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Zboy

My dealership said this is like the 5th one they have done. They told me it is common and they just put new trannys, clutches, flywheels, plates, atc. in to make it easier.
[snapback]132285[/snapback]​

Then you have an honest dealer. I have heard lots of people say that their dealer told them they sent the tranny back for "research". Dont buy it. My dealer did an awesome A+ job.

Its bittersweet getting the Z back... and this is the third time I will have a break in period...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by Zboy+Jul 15 2005, 09:23 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 15 2005, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by [email protected] 14 2005, 03:44 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Zboy

[snapback]132285[/snapback]​

Then you have an honest dealer. I have heard lots of people say that their dealer told them they sent the tranny back for "research". Dont buy it. My dealer did an awesome A+ job.

Its bittersweet getting the Z back... and this is the third time I will have a break in period...
[snapback]132318[/snapback]​

Breakin period. You really dont have to break in a transmission do you. At least I was told you didnt have to because its not like a kevlar clutch or anything like that so you can just drive regular. I have already gotten on mine quite a few times and boy it grabs good. Would it be right to say that the car feels quicker. lol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts