Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Well I've never waxed my Z... a crime really. I have been too scared of doing a HORRIBLE job, and hate paying people to even touch my car. My dad has offered his buffer, no idea of make or material on it if it matters.

HELP! I'm heading to hooters in Portland and seeing my cousin whom I haven't seen in a few years. Is there a retard wiki for waxing your Z? Brand of wax, buffer, how to, the works!

Haven't taken alot of time to read up on it and have just made plans to go see my cousin (who is attractive and may have some hot friends, mmm titties).

Thanks for any help people!

One of the reasons I've kind of frayed from waxing it is because when I got it from the nissan dealer it looked horrendously bad, like someone took a **** brillow pad to it. I didn't want to make the same mistake....
If you are worried about doing a horrible job stay away from the random orbital buffers until you have practiced on someone else's vehicle or better yet a junker. UNless you are removing swirls or repairing scratches a buffer is not needed on a small car like the the Z imo. Better to do the job by hand.

You'll be ahead of the game if you clay bar the paint first. Clay bar will remove surface contaminants that regular washing will not. Also great for safely removing bug spatter and avian suprises. Mix up some car wash soap (no dishwashing liquid) and water 50/50 in a 12~16 oz. spray bottle. Use this mixture as a lubricant for the clay bar. Clay bar is available at most auto parts stores, as are many popular brands of wax.

Follow the directions provided in the link at the end of this post for Clay Bar use.

After claying the car wash it again to remove any clay bar residue. Rinse the paint with a gentle flow of water from the hose....this will aid drying. Dry with a Micro Fiber waffle weave towel. If you own a leaf blower it is useful for removing water from inside the cracks and crevices of the Z....door handles, emblems, etc. Don't forget to dry the inside of the hatch, fuel cap, doors and engine bay.

Dry thoroughly.

Waffle weave towel link /
http://www.pakshak.com/waffle-weave-micro-...el-25x36-1.html

If you don't....water will seep out of these places while you wax and cause a mess.

After drying the paint apply whatever brand of wax/sealant you choose. Less is more with many of these products and over application can make removal a difficult task. Follow the product directions for application.

Buff out the wax or sealant. After the product has cured, buff it out with a clean MF towel. Do not trust lables on towels that claim the fabric is %100 cotton....most are NOT and they will damage your paint. Excellent MF buffing towels available online at /
http://www.dftowel.com

Follow up with a spritzing of detail spray and you're done. :)

Depending on your climate waxes will last 3~8 weeks. Sealants typically last longer as they form a molecular bond with the paint. More info on this at /
http://www.autopia.org

Link for Clay Bar use...and Zaino application /
http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/Dr-Bonz-Za...ocol-t6275.html

hth

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
hey everyone, its going into fall here in pittsburgh Pa, I am getting ready to wax and everything, I was just curious and has a few questions, since I have not waxed my Z yet, and dont want to mess it up either...

1) I heard some people put multiple coats of wax on the car, for better protection, is it really neccassry? In the past I didnt care as much (I owned eclipse GT previously) but now I want to get the Z as much protection as possible...

2) I heard someone on here say they wax the rims to keep the finish nice, and keep the salt off during the winter, do u just wax them like the car? Is there any type of special wax for rims??

BTW garage my car to, so its not sitting outside all the time, its only out when I am out...so that is another reason I am trying to keep it as nice as possible, the battle is not as hard for me as others... :)
Multiple coats of wax during the same session should not be necessary if the paint is properly prepped. Wax can build up an look dull over time.

There is a product called "WheelWax'. I have no experience with it but have used Zaino on my clearcoated centers. If you wheels are clearcoated or painted you can treat them as you would the paint on your car. Polished lips require metal polishes like Wenol or NXT All Metal polish....there are many others.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Thanks KShep, noted and will go for my first full waxing on saturday.
You're welcome...good luck and be sure to post up some pics of your Z when you're done.

Just one more thing...rocker panels and wheels/tires get filthy. Use two buckets of water + car wash soap...one for the top part of the car and another for the lower sections. Separate wash mitts are a good idea...failing that just make sure to rinse all the debris out of the mitt/sponge/cloth after you use it on the lower sections. I usually do the top section first then tackle the wheels/tires/undercarriage last.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts