Nissan 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums banner

Girlfriends / Wives / Husbands / Else?

2K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  mchapman 
#1 ·
Does everyone explain their thoughts and reasons for each modification to your partner? Or have you given up and found its better not to go into detail or let them know the price?

#5 ·
My wife is fine with me putting some money on the car once in a while... but not all the time with the bill like doing up an engine job of course... She would want me to let her know exactly what I am doing to the car instead of hiding the prices from her though. I am sure if I want to go for APS TT kit, she wouldn't mind about that, but just not RIGHT NOW...

I guess you can be open to her as she can do her shoppings on what she would like to spend her hard earning money on too... it is all fair, don't you think so?

cheers,

richie

#7 ·
The g/f doesn't mind the cash outlay for modifications to the Z as long as it doesn't restrict other things I normally do with expendable income or put me in a financial bind. If I was in a situation where I had a wife & children, instead of a g/f, it would be more difficult for me to justify the money spent on modifying a car.

She was against the idea of a reverse camera in the Z...and is not going to be happy when she discovers that one has been installed. So, NO, I don't check with her before modifying the Z, just like she doesn't check with me before buying another dozen pairs of shoes. But if she wants to know what I spent...she knows where the file is located.

#8 ·
My girlfriend is pretty good about it.. she is actually into it. For example, last valentines day she wanted me to install halo-headlights on her Cabrio. She's all about the clean look too, which is why we get along so well ;)

But when I showed her the Stillen SC I was planning on getting, she said somethin like: "Yeah.. $3700 to go fast.. thats money down the drain" lol

#9 ·
lol. I'm up sh** creek. Not only is my wife in medical school with student loans well into the 6 figures :helpsmilie: but she also dislikes the Z (to a degree.... "it's so bumpy" "the seat is uncomfortable" "an 18-wheeler would drive right over us" :blah: ). But she's the one who told me I HAD to test drive it. :headshake:

Since money is tight (**** government loans!) she often plays the car-price card. Her jeep cost us like $10k and my Z was $26k. In a very sarcastic manner, she's say something like "Oh, well my car didn't cost $26k...why do you need to change yours?" :rolleyes:

BTW, she doesn't really nag or anything but with our money situation I have to curtail my mod desires to a degree. I can still sneak in things but I have to pace it a few months apart and in smaller increments.

#10 ·
Hubby has his ups n downs....for instance....he picked out the grille I got, helps me w/ some installs if I have problems, but spend $5 on valve stem caps and he freaks out. I guess it has to do w/ what type of mood he's in.....but I have things shipped to the office so he doesn't see the new packages coming in lol A package at the door that he is not expecting means a long night ahead.....LOL

#12 ·
I am the CIA, my wife is the Senate Finance Committee on Intelligence. I tell her what I'd like and explain it, she approves or disapproves. It's hard to tell her what I want, just like it's hard for the CIA to justify secret projects w/o giving away the secrets. :cry: I just patiently wait, or I spend $$$ on small mods that I can install myself. She's still laughing about my 'brake upgrade' and wondering if my car is any faster with it.

#13 ·
I usually go with the asking forgiveness theory.

I tend to embezzle funds for a few months before purchasing a bigger Mod. She gets more upset with me autox-ing the G than the $50 part here and there. She once saw my desktop of my car sliding through a corner with opposite wheel lock and said,"That looks like your car, Where did you get that picture?" I told her it came from G35Driver.com.

Somethings are harder to explain. Cosidering I had the car for 3 days when this was taken.

Attachments

#14 ·
Wife/gf baiting you to respond:
"Hey honey, where did you get those/that new (insert mod here)?"

Top 10 responses (not necessarily in order):

#1: "Don't ask don't tell, baby (with a giant smile)"
#2: "What that, I've had that for months"
#3: "What are you talking about, it came like that"
#4: "Well honey it's just not safe without that"
#5: "Happy anniversary!"
#6: "Oh that was already there, I just painted it"
#7: "You see the aftermarket part was cheaper than the OEM part, and it was already damaged....."
#8: "I got it thru a special group buy on the 350Z-tech site, it was practically free"
#9: "Oh my god you should see how hot you look in the car now"
#10: "I love you sweetie?"

Ok, maybe that won't work.

#21 ·
My wife wouldn't know a mod unless it wa blatantly obvious, like new wheels. I put the Hi-Tech on and she still doesn't know. Mind you she doesn't drive it so how would she. She gave up asking when I gave her the list of 'requirements' for driving.

1/ Take driveways on an angle, chin spoilers don't like concrete.
2/ Park it away from other cars (no door dings yet in 2 years)
3/ Take speed humps at an angle (we have big b*ggers near us)
4/ You ding it or scratch it, be prepared for WWIII

After that she said it wasn't worth the effort, suits me sir.

Jim

#23 ·
Funny you guys say that about parking.

I park just about anywhere and never got a scratch. I've even parked in narrow back alleys without a problem.

btw Mchapman, the wife wants 4 doors so she has been asking for an Evo. I'll have to decide once the lease is up.

#24 ·
With me it depends on a mod, some are part of the standard maitenance. Other are needed to make the car go faster, or sound better. She will hate me for anything that lowers the car, makes the ride harsher, but I'll just tell her that it was always like that, it must be your memory that's failing :) . Otherwise she's pretty cool with them as long as not all of my money goes into it. And now that I got a job and lock up garage I'm going to be getting a lot more mods in the next few months :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.