Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM's sales are down 1 billion for the first quarter of this year. :OMG:

Did you know that they account for 1% of the U.S.A.'s yearly economy? (not just auto industry, everything) :OMG:

They bring in over 250 billion (I believe) per year. (at least I think I saw that on the T.V. correct) :OMG:

I think they have had the most recalls of any company too. That comes with selling so many vehicles though, I guess. :OMG:

Just some interesting facts about them, I knew they were huge, but not that huge. :OMG:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Canada owes us so much for creating jobs for them with the Big Three.

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
[/quote]

that's what i heard. they've been talking about that for a few months now. they predicted this whole "slump".

i wonder what's going to happen???

(i foresee THOUSANDS of layoffs)

·
Registered
598 Posts
i think i thought someone tell me that they might give pontiac the axe. i know its under gm but they are supposedly downsizing some of there lines.and i think olds mobile where going to go too. gonna be a lot of pissed old people.
mdzowner

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think Pontiac will get the axe...I know Oldsmobile is supposed to though. They were going to end it in 2003 and still haven't done it yet.

If anything, they'll get rid of GMC and just introduce some new cars through Chevrolet or Pontiac.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
[/quote]
If I'm not mistaken, Oldsmobile is no more. I don't believe they made any 05 models. I wouldn't be all that surprised to see Buick gone in a few years

Or they could always start selling pimped out Hummers and Escalades. Cut out the middle man and put the profit right in their own pocket

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
This is what happens when you put out [email protected]

All my chevys are OLD chevys.

A truck or a 'vette, & that's about it.

They lost the 'mullet vote' when they discontinued the F-body platform. Now what've they got?

Cavalier?

Saturd? (If not exciting, at least more reliable than their other marques...)

Saab (Sob!)

& the SSR? what a FLOP. So ugly the dealers are overstocked on these everywhere....(Blind people don't buy many cars.)

·
Registered
300 Posts
GM - also known as Oldsmobuiponticadrolet. And yes I even left a few.

That is the problem. The company has no focus and is spread all over the place and is out of touch with the marketplace. They are way too big.

It is a shame though as to how much they could hurt the economy if they start closing plants down. A lot of people could be hurt in the short term. That sucks. But we all know GM has sucked for years (please forgive me Corvette fans - that is perhaps an exception).

The new GTO was a nice try but not many people will buy a car that powerful (and relatively expensive) when it looks like a Grand Am. Duhhhhhhhh.

Look at the Z. It is not the most poweful car out there but it is drop dead gorgeous - and see how popular it is. GM is out in left field and has been for years. Too bad though.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The new GTO was designed the same as the old GTO...based off of their family sedan, so I wouldn't think Pontiac fans would expect something different. However, I think it is way too expensive for what you get.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
[/quote]
Back then, dropping a huge engine into a Tempest was enough to be successful. The market is so different today though. Bulking up a Cavalier and dropping a huge engine into it just isn't enough.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
I really thought GM was back on the right track with the Aztec..

screen.width*0.7) {this.resized=true; this.width=screen.width*0.7; this.alt='Click here to open new window';}" onmouseover="if(this.resized) this.style.cursor='hand';" onclick="if(this.resized) {window.open('http://db.theautochannel.com//db/images/2001431301.jpg');}" />

·
Registered
300 Posts
I agree Dirn. It is not enough, not today, that is the point. GM is out of touch and living on an old marque and an old marketing strategy.

Surely you are joking about the Aztec Toykilla, right :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
LOL... Ass tek

Seriously though, I think gas prices are hurting them. Most of GMs sales come from trucks and SUVs, which are down (most likely because of hyper inflated gas prices). They made the decision to continue pressing forward with the money making SUVs, even though they arent selling well... big mistake IMO.

Funny how the president can wave a magic wand and prices skyrocket, but he cant wave the same wand to drop those prices.

Costs me 35+ dollars to fill up, and IMO we got it good in TX.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
YEh. with top sellers like Escalade & Humjob...$3/gal. gas kills 'em, but, IMHO, it's whay they deserve for pimpin that sort of shortsighted automotive crap. who the fxxk needs a military transport to safeway?...Look at every other manufacturer...hybrids, fuel efficient powertrains. GM is waay outta line/touch/sync. All they had to do was look at the 'Prius premuim'. People were paying thousands above sticker to drive an ugly POS...not as ugly as the 'ass tek', but butt ugly anyway.

I think without Saturn, they'd a flushed themselves down the crapper long ago. & they want to blame healthcare costs? WTF kinda union busting is that?

BTW Z-boy. Dubba you waved his wand & look what happened: All his buddies in the oil biz had banner profits! (Valero CEO took a $44 mil bonus this year). Then, he has da ballz to ask the Saudis for a break?...WTF? It's a hummer bummer!

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
[/quote]
:werd: I'm with you on that. It's all :bs: coming out of corporate HQs and DC... :F-you:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Gm needs to trim the fat, and badly.

No one wants a frigging staurn, stop trying to make it work, pour the money into pontiac, the only brand with a viable performacne history.

Screw Buick, Give the money to Caddy and Pontiac. Both of those at least appeal to people, no one wants a buick, well, no one that will live long enough to pay it off.

Concentrate on your car lineup, Loom at the Chrysler 300 and Dodge magnum, and rip it off. RWD sedans sell, well.

If they kill pontiac they will have lost me forever, I can't fund a company that would keep staurn over pontiac.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Last I heard they were having severe problems getting 300C's off the lot...

·
Registered
51 Posts
[/quote]

Not out here, last I checked they were running 4k premiums and could barely keep them on the lots.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts