Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I dropped my gearbox oil yesterday, and was a little shocked at the amount of brass shavings that there was in the oil tray... my question is, just what bits are brass inside the manual boxes???

Since putting the new oil in (redline MT90) the box feels alot smoother than before, and even with the old oil it never seemed overly rough, and I never have any dramas (well except for the odd grind when changing too quickly between first and second)

Im gonna drop the oil again in another 10000km and see if the is more in there, but until something goes wrong I'm not too worried.

Cheers
Shane.

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
It's actually bronze. It's from your synchros. A litt super-fine dust in the oil is normal. It's when you have bits about the same size as table salt or larger that you need to worry. If you do alot of "power shifting" it won't take long to tear up the synchros.

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
QUOTE (Monk13 @ Jul 12 2008, 07:52 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=543965
Well I dropped my gearbox oil yesterday, and was a little shocked at the amount of brass shavings that there was in the oil tray... my question is, just what bits are brass inside the manual boxes???

Since putting the new oil in (redline MT90) the box feels alot smoother than before, and even with the old oil it never seemed overly rough, and I never have any dramas (well except for the odd grind when changing too quickly between first and second)

Im gonna drop the oil again in another 10000km and see if the is more in there, but until something goes wrong I'm not too worried.

Cheers
Shane.
There is a problem on some cars with these brass syncros going bad. Mine went out on 6th gear and Nissan replaced my transmission under warranty. If when you shift mornally any gear grinds when trying to shift take it to Nissan and have them check it out.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers guys, I figured it may be the synchros, just wanted a second opinion. No trouble yet changing gear normally, but there were some nice sized metal flakes in there, and a few larger slivers. Time to start saving for a gearbox rebuild methinks.

Shane

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah it is. from my understanding of what is posted elsewhere on this site.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Have you thought about getting magnetic drain bolts for the engine and transmission bolts?

I'm thinking bout this after hearing your experience.

The Moonface Mag Drain Bolt prevents costly engine damage through metal particles floating throughout the oil, instead capturing it at the base of the bolt.

Features
Neodymium magnet with the highest magnetic force possible
Coated with nickel for imroved durability
Available for the transmission, differentials and transfer cases
Prevents any metal particles floating around the energy
Improved engine longetivity and reliability in high stress environments
In unique Moonface red for Mitsubishi models

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The previous owner had already installed magnetic plugs. It is one thing, I would of done if they were not installed already.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts