Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have a sad story to tell today. I was driving around town yesterday enjoying the nice fall day when I looked at my oil pressure guage. You can imagine my suprise when it was pegged high past 120! I thought what the ****? The car is driving fine haven't noticed any problems and I have about 1500 miles on my oil. So I pull into Jiffy Lube and have them do an oil change, i figure maybe I have a blocked line or a problem with the filter or something.

As a side note I have a Vortech SC on the car so there is an extra oil supply for the SC and a return line to the engine.

So they didn't find anything at the Jiffy Lube, but I got new oil. From There I drove straight to the Nissan dealer and told them my oil pressure guage was reading high(pegged) and wanted them to take a look at it. This was Thursday afternoon 10/6. Today 10/7 I get a phone call from the Nissan dealer. They said the hooked up their test rig for the oil system and my oil pressure was around 20 psi. They said this is an indication that the main bearings are shot. They also said that I had a ton of fuel in my oil. Remember, I just changed the oil 10 miles ago. They said I need a brand new engine because Nissan doesn't recommend rebuilding that engine. They said parts and labor would be $12000!

So my question to all of you is how did fuel get into my oil in the first place. Then if it did how would so much get in there after changing the oil and driving it for just 10 miles. Also, how would my oil pressure guage read over 120psi and the dealer say their test system only indicated 20 psi. Something is not right with this picture. The car still runs and really gives no indication of a problem.

Also, assuming that my engine is bad and I need to rebuild/replace it. Would any of you recommend putting a completely different engine in there all together? If so, what would it be. If you would keep the same engine, what would you recommend doing with the internals. My thought is you might as well build it strong if your gonna go through all the hassle.

I appreciate all feedback.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
I wouldn't take the car to Nissan if you have Vortech SC. Of course they will say they wouldn't rebuild the engine. They want you to buy a new one. Contact Kenny (KShep) via pm. He just got his engine rebuilt, blown engine w/ GReddy TT.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't take the car to Nissan if you have Vortech SC. Of course they will say they wouldn't rebuild the engine. They want you to buy a new one. Contact Kenny (KShep) via pm. He just got his engine rebuilt, blown engine w/ GReddy TT.

Thanks Jinxxy, I'll send him a message.

·
Registered
598 Posts
check with julian at mrc too, i think they are doing built motors now. if your going to go to all the trouble to have it replaced, might want to replace it with something a bit better. and more reliable for your f/i

2 cents
mdzowner

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PS He may not answer right away, he's usually on very little on the weekends, just a heads up.

Thanks for the info...Isn't Daking with MRC too?? Or is Julian his real name?

And yes I will be upgrading my engine, either with internals or different motor all together.

I am open to suggestions. I have $5K in my vortech, so whatever I do I would like to keep using that. I believe with a new pulley it will push in the neighborhood of 14psi.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What did you find out about the reported problem.. I also had the oil gage go high (it pegged off scale) and had it replaced.. no problem now.. Have you verified gas is in your oil?? The only way they could possibly mix is in the cylinders bad rings but it usually results in exhaust smoke...Oil pressure of 20 psi is normal during idle...Give us an update.. Thanks

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Aloha,
Peg an analog meter, of any type, hard and/or often enough and it will probably get damaged. This may be the cause of the odd readings.

As far as gas mixing with the oil, Blown rings is the only thing I can think of as well. Unless you were hallucinating that you were driving a VW bug and went for a fill up thinking the oil cap was the gas cap?

$12k for an engine? Will it be blueprinted, balanced with ported, polished and CC'd heads? Even then, it seems a bit expensive. Then again, if it's from a dealer.....

A Hui Hou

PaulO

·
Registered
10 Posts
i think the dealer was BS-ing about the fuel... like the last guy said .. the only way fuel would've ended up in the engine is if u pump the gas i the wrong hole... one thing that might've cuased thisproblem is overfilling the engine with oil... but that would take some time to mess up ur engine like dat and an oil change could've solve the problem.. then again idk when u did ur last oil change.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
is there any other dealers you can hit up for a 2nd opinion... what about a performance shop that works on Z's if everything is running fine and you have no smoke, it is posible the guage is broke

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I would get a second opinion. Depending on how much you boosted during hte short time you had the new oil in, you will get blow by and some fuel will get in the oil system. If it is a lot then the rings might be going bad, I would get a compression test at least which is easy to do and a leak down test if possible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts