Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fastidious about the presentation of my car but the front bumper is looking very second hand from stone chips after just 20,000 kms. Being black certainly doesn't help.

I spoke to the panel shop yesterday and the owner advised that it is not possible to sand the bumper back, respray and get it looking like new. He said that the plastic itself will be damaged and, to cover this, it will need a heavy undercoat which will then chip even worse. He would use a new technology ceramic clear coat over the top, but even this will not stop the increased chipping.

In the end he recommended a new bumper bar ($700) and then respray using ceramic clear over the top to try and minimise chips (another $700). Now this panel shop is very good (does top end cars) and he appreciates the level to which I maintain my car, but this seems over the top to me.

I know some of the members have had their front bars resprayed and I would appreciate feedback on their experience.

cheers
coatsie

·
Registered
352 Posts
I had mine resprayed and the front emblem taken off, cost me from memory about $400

No problems at all.

As always

H

·
Registered
297 Posts
Respraying your front bumper properly (which is what your repairer is detailing) will make it more chip resistant. The problem however will be that any chips that do occur will be bigger than if you were to purchase a new front bumper.

I had mine done about 18 months ago and have very few chips and am extremely happy with the result.

·
Registered
528 Posts
i have had my Z for about 3500Km now and just today while i was cleaning it i notice not stone chips but bloody bug crap that wont come off...

should i respray or is there anything else out there that can get it off?

i was also thinking maybe waxing it off?? any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
take it another panel shop

ive had my bumper and bonnet resprayed already after only around 7000kms

my bumper had a tow bar tap in it, and the repairer managed to push it back out without having to use any bog/filler......which is a big no no on urethane parts as it causes shrinkage under the paint

my bumper and bonnet is alot more resistant to chips now that the paint has been put on quite thick, but there is still no much foolproof prevention to stone chips, even 3m doesnt stop them all. Also the low front of the Z makes is prone to chipping. Just drive the car, and get it repainted every now and then

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
i have had my Z for about 3500Km now and just today while i was cleaning it i notice not stone chips but bloody bug crap that wont come off...

should i respray or is there anything else out there that can get it off?

i was also thinking maybe waxing it off?? any suggestions?
a clay bar will get the bug splatter off the paint, i recommend the Clay Magic Blue clay bar

if your Z is a dark color, id follow with a very light swirl remover or light abbrassive cutter, as the clay bar will leave very very very minor scratches, depends how fussy you are. Then put a wax on top to finish off

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks folks.

I tend to agree with the general sentiment about getting the existing bar resprayed with a "wait and see" attitude. I remember when Harry commented some time ago on getting his bar resprayed and note his satisfaction since (thanks Harry). Replacing the front bar every 12 to 18 months is a bit extreme!

The surprising thing is that the chips are not that deep and, whilst there must be 100 plus chips. they only seem to go just through the black paint. I can't see that a good sanding back and quality spray putty wouldn't cover them. Ceramic clear coat should add further resistance.

Anyway, I'll talk to another top painter that I know in Brisbane and see how I get on.

This is obviously a major issue because of the design of the car and will keep you posted.

cheers and thanks
coatsie

·
Registered
528 Posts
a clay bar will get the bug splatter off the paint, i recommend the Clay Magic Blue clay bar

if your Z is a dark color, id follow with a very light swirl remover or light abbrassive cutter, as the clay bar will leave very very very minor scratches, depends how fussy you are. Then put a wax on top to finish off
Thanks TPIACE,

i will head to autobarn tomorrow after my headunit install thanks for the info!!

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
autobarn dont stock premium car care products dude, only meguairs, armaoil, mothers.....that kind of stuff

try this site, alot more convenient to buy online with next day delivery

http://waxit.com.au/products.asp?cat=3

you will need a quick detailer as lubricant for the clay bar. The cheapest one will do, so grab the meguairs quick detailer, and a good quality microfibre clothe so as to not scratch the paint

·
Registered
528 Posts
autobarn dont stock premium car care products dude, only meguairs, armaoil, mothers.....that kind of stuff

try this site, alot more convenient to buy online with next day delivery

http://waxit.com.au/products.asp?cat=3

you will need a quick detailer as lubricant for the clay bar. The cheapest one will do, so grab the meguairs quick detailer, and a good quality microfibre clothe so as to not scratch the paint
thanks again...!!

now i know why people want bra's on their cars.... LoL im a rapper can u tell?? haha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts