Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is set up to answer a few of the most common asked questions and done for a quick resource. THis will also help minimize repetitive posts asking the same questions over and over. I borrowed a majority of these FAQ from Club 3G since most of them seem to be the common questions asked for any car.

Q: Will my warranty be void if i modify my car

A: SEMA has a really good write up on this subject. also refer to the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act. Essentially, what the law says is that the manufacturer must proof that an aftermarket part caused a particular problem in the vehicle to refuse waranty service.

That's what the law says. However, some dealerships are slippery eel like entities and try to slip out/shift blame/flat out refuse to uphold their end of the waranty if you changed anything on the car.

I'd suggest you ask one of the techs at your dealership their perspective on it, to determine if you'll have any headaches by performing modifications to your car. Then you can decide if 1) you think you'll have a problem with your car during the waranty period and 2) if it'd be worth fighting your dealership tooth and nail over if they're the slimey type

·
Premium Member
5,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Q: Which mod should i do first?

A: This is probably the most common newbie question. Of all of the mods currently available, there are three very good beginner mods available. If you are looking to increase engine performance, an aftermarket air intake is the best way to go (it doesn't really matter which one; all yield near identical performance gains). If you want to improve handing, swaybars or coilovers are very good modifications to make. And the third modification is adding aftermarket rims/tires. All of these modifications are low to moderate expensive, the first two can be installed in a weekend afternoon by a novice, and yield some noticable changes. Wheels and tires are best left to the tire gurus since they have the proper balancing and mounting equipment.

·
Premium Member
5,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Q: Will removing the A/C system increase HP?

A: No. While the AC compressor is a belt operated device, when it is off it is not robbing the engine of any power. The AC compressor is controlled via a clutch like device; when the clutch is not engaged, the pulley spins freely -- while it does take energy to spin it, the amount is immesurable. The clutch is engaged when the AC turns on, and only then does it rob power from the engine

·
Premium Member
5,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Q: Why doesn't 1+1 equal 2 when adding horsepower gains?

A: A common misconception is that horsepower numbers add together. If you've got an air intake that adds 9hp, and a pulley which adds 4hp, then you should have gained 13hp.

It seems like a reasonable statement to make. Unfortunately, it's wrong.

If you add an air intake that has been dyno proven to increase horsepower by 9hp to the wheels, you do get an increase of 9hp. The problem is that you aren't getting 9 peak horsepower. That 9 horsepower increase is not at the point where the car was making it's most power. That 9hp gain may be a 4000rpm, instead of 5500rpm. At 5500 rpm, you may actually be making 174whp instead of 179whp. You may even change the point where the car is making it's peak horsepower.

Now, when you add that pulley, it adds it's power to a different range in the powerband than the intake does.

Hopefully I've sufficiently demonstrated why the numbers can't just be added together.

(the numbers used in this example are hypothetical, and any resemblence to real life numbers was the result of a lucky guess)

·
Premium Member
5,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Q: Which exhaust/muffler sounds better?

A: What sounds "good" is very subjective. It will vary from one person to another. Some people like an exhaust that outright roars, some just like a deep tone, some like their car to sound like a bumblebee. The line between sounding good and bad can be very fine between some people. For example, what's the difference between loud and too loud?

This means a recommendation can't really be made.

·
Premium Member
5,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Q: what are the technical specs of my 350Z?

A: Those answers can be found Here. There is new information out for the 2005 models and those wil lbe integrated into that thread as well.

·
Premium Member
5,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Q: What bodykit would look the best on my Z?

A: Again this question is all a matter of opinion and there is no real answer at all. Body kits and other visual modifications are all a matter of persona taste. What looks good to you may not look good to others.

·
Premium Member
5,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Q: Which is better, replica or brand name bodykits?

A: This goes to what you want to spend. Also replica bodykits have molds made from the original kit and can be made very cheap, but you may suffer from poor fit and quality of material. That $300 kit you see on ebay may end up costing close to $1000 for prep, paint, and modification to make it fit.

·
Premium Member
5,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Q: Are there any recalls or TSB (Techical Service Bulletins) out for my Z?

A: There have been a few TSB's put ot for our car, most of them early model 2003. Check our TSB thread and see if there is one listed for your car.

350Z TSB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.