Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago, I bought a can of 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner at a huge car show. They swore by it, and seeing that it's a local Fortune 500 company, I figured why not.

A little history, though...If you guys ever notice after you wash the car and you're drying it, there are tiny brown spots that are hard as **** to get out. At first, I thought it was rust or something else that caked on the surface. When I pressed hard to rub it out, it smeared. The most likely culprit is tar that gets picked up off a freshly laid road or something.

Anyway, there are too many spots. So when I sprayed this stuff on, the spots actually started to run down the panel. It even pulled unseen stuff out of the pores of the paint, if that's possible. So I just wipe it off, and the car is cleaner, shinier and smoother after an application of this cleaner.

In case you wanted to read up on it, or if you wanted to order it, here's the link: 3M cleaner

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess it would work for any car. The reason I was specific about white is because it's so noticable. Of course, I think any car can pick up that crap from the road. You can actually feel them, too.

Anyway, I'm going to order a bunch of stuff from them in the near future. Maybe I'll ask them to sponser me...

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
i got a bad habit of accidentaly scuffing the driver's side panel with my combat boots when i get in and out of the car. I usually just use scratch x to take it out but this stuff seems it is less harsh on the paint. might have to try it out

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Originally posted by Steve350Z@Jul 11 2004, 07:34 AM
i got a bad habit of accidentaly scuffing the driver's side panel with my combat boots when i get in and out of the car.  I usually just use scratch x to take it out but this stuff seems it is less harsh on the paint.  might have to try it out

well i dont have combat boots but this happens to me as well and i was wondering how i could get it out

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The can I have states that it is suitable for vinyl or glass surfaces. Solvents listed are: Naphtha (petroleum), aliphatic, xylene, propane, and ethylbenzene. Uh...yeah, that's the ticket. I have a little shoe scuff mark on the door left by last week's visit to the dealer. I'll try it on there and let you know.

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Originally posted by SmoothZ@Jul 11 2004, 09:46 AM
The can I have states that it is suitable for vinyl or glass surfaces.  Solvents listed are:  Naphtha (petroleum), aliphatic, xylene, propane, and ethylbenzene.  Uh...yeah, that's the ticket.  I have a little shoe scuff mark on the door left by last week's visit to the dealer.  I'll try it on there and let you know.

yea i really cant wait until i hear how it goes b/c it just looks nasty. Everytime i get out i look at it and it just gets really annoying to look at!

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
excellent.. i use mequiars fine cut polishing compount and gloss polish to remove scuffs and tar/marks etc.. but i might try this stuff as well.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just tried the spray on some scuff marks that I haven't been able to take out completely. It works! I have never seen these products sold in a regular store. Try a boat dealer or specialty store or go online. The 20oz can costs $8.88, and it looks like they don't charge for shipping.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Thanks Smooth for the advice, the bugs are what annoy me....

And for the scuff marks, try the Mr. Clean magic eraser, it's just that, magic, takes all kinds of stuff off. I don't use it on the paint but on the interior it works GREAT!!!! I burned thru 2 erasers doing my spring all out detail inside!!!

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finished detailing the Z this afternoon. Wow! What a difference that cleaner makes. I sprayed all the way around, and stuff I couldn't even see was streaking down the sides. Came right off with a detail cloth. I need to buy more cans. I'm almost out, but I did discover that I didn't use that much to get most of the car.

Oh, Jinxxy...4" heels with a skirt? That's a show!

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It ends up making the surface super dry and slick. Almost like waxing with a spray. Here's a quote: "Specially blended solvent for removal of light paint overspray, adhesive residue, wax, grease, tree sap, dirt, road tar, oil and bugs in aerosol form."

Also:
Will not harm most thoroughly cured automotive paint, vinyls, or fabrics when properly used."

I'm usually hesitant about using anything unconventional. I don't even like using a spray wheel cleaner. But I like the way this cleaner gets rid of those tar spots, some as small as pin points.

Try it sometime. After you wash and dry your Z, look closely at the panel and find some perfectly round spots you thought should have come off during the wash. If you use a fingernail to 'scrape' it off, it will smudge. The cleaner eats that stuff up!

David

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ordering for the car show...

Quantity Product Name Extended Price
3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner, PN 08984, Quart $12.64
3M Perfect-It™ Show Car Detailing Cloth, PN 39016 Yellow, 12 in x 14 in, 1 ea $5.99
3M Car Wash Shampoo, PN 39000, 16 oz $6.71
3M Tire and Wheel Cleaner, PN 39036, 16 oz $10.21
3M Glass Cleaner, PN 08888, 19 oz Aerosol $3.27

Total $38.82

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
3M!

I'm very disappointed in their service. I can't imagine that a Fortune 500 company doesn't have a full inventory. Here's the story:

Aug 6, I order the stuff as shown above in the previous post.

Aug 11, I get an email saying they are experiencing an inventory shortage, but that it will only delay shipping for 1-2 days.

Aug 16, I call them directly and ask why I STILL haven't received my shipment. They tell me that the car wash soap is out of stock and holding up the rest of my shipment. I tell them to cancel that item and send the rest. Okay then. I ask how long it will be this time. Since they are local and use UPS, 1-2 days (by Thursday, yesterday).

Aug 19 (late afternoon), I know it's too late so I call them again.
By this time, I'm
pissed. I call them, and they tell me it STILL hasn't shipped out. WTF!
Why? Duh, I don't know...Then you can cancel my whole order. Good bye!

I can't believe it. I guess I'll have to rely on myself next time and find a retail outlet that sells the stuff. I still want the adhesive cleaner, but I don't think I'll be ordering online from them again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can you buy this stuff at some place like Auto Zone or O'Reilly's? Or does it HAVE to be ordered from 3M?

Thanks!
Lesliek1

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Hi Leslie!
Glad you came over to check it out! I would think that you might be able to get it at a crafts store, I found the 3M adhesive at a craft store, just seems likely that they might have the adhesive cleaner there too. Make a few calls!

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Actually for cleaning bugs off your front bumper a wet dryer sheet works very well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts