Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into getting the fidanza lightweight flywheel but the problem is I only have enough money for the flywheel and probably not enough to have it installed professionally. Has anyone replaced their flywheel themselves and if so how hard is it and how long am i looking at. If there is a write up on this please point me towards it. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
The install is going to cost you more than you think. For the job to be easier on you, first start by finding a friend or 2 that are knowledgeable in such things. Then you'll need to find a garage with a lift. There is no other way. You need to use a tranny jack stand. You'll need to remove your complete exhaust system from the manifold back.

I would look into buying some better tranny fluid such as Redline or Royal Purple or Amsoil. Might as well since you'll have it apart.

This is going to take the better part of a day if not longer. You'll need metric tools and lots of them. If you think you'll be making several trips to the auto parts store, plan on doubling your time on the project.

Personally, if you know you won't have enough money for the install, then don't frustrate yourself by getting it only to have it sit around. My suggestion is to shop around your area for a garage that will give you a quote in writing or at least tell you what the labor rate is going to be. They should know how long a job like that will take.

I once replaced the flywheel and clutch in my 300ZX with the help of a friend and a relative. We used a garage that belonged to a car club. I was there for 8 hours, and we were all sore after that. It really is not a DIY for 1 person. No way, no how.

Good luck.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I have a few friends that have replaced theirs in hondas but it looks like hondas might be a little easier to drop the transmission. I would personally rather have it done at a shope but I would like to get exhaust too so it is a tough decision.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts