Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal;

I just bought a 03' touring 350z about a week or so ago. The car has 12k invested in mods, however the engine and transmission are completely stock as far as I know. I received a receipt of all the modifications that were professionally done to this car.

Tonight I took the Z for a spin and noticed I'm getting a flywheel or throwout bearing chatter at idle. It is pretty subtle, but noticable nonetheless.

Here are my questions;

What is the stock specs of a 350z clutch? Size of flywheel and pressure plate?

Does anyone else notice their stock clutch chattering a bit?

If this isn't normal, I guess it's safe to assume the previous owner replaced the factory clutch without notifying me for some odd reason...???

Pic for views, TIA.
screen.width*0.7) {this.resized=true; this.width=screen.width*0.7; this.alt='Click here to open new window';}" onmouseover="if(this.resized) this.style.cursor='hand';" onclick="if(this.resized) {window.open('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/MRballer337/1514141322.jpg');}" />

Adam B.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
::sigh::

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Actually clutch chatter is NOT normal, that signifies a bad throwout bearing. We found many times for some odd reason the throwout bearings from Nissan are not properly lubricated and become rusty.We have seen this on about 3 cars so far.Somehow the moisture got into the bell housing and affected the throwout bearings.A stock clutch should not chatter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Originally posted by Daking350Z@Jul 30 2005, 11:19 AM
Actually clutch chatter is NOT normal, that signifies a bad throwout bearing. We found many times for some odd reason the throwout bearings from Nissan are not properly lubricated and become rusty.We have seen this on about 3 cars so far.Somehow the moisture got  into the bell housing and affected the throwout bearings.A stock clutch should not chatter.
[snapback]139518[/snapback]​

I am getting a similar noise at idle, I wouldn't call it chatter, its more like a rubbing/sliding sound. I had concluded its normal, but if its not....well, at least its a good excuse to upgrade the clutch ;-) What you say would make sense to me, since its been so humid out the past two weeks and I only noticed the noise yesterday.

MRballer350z, nice looking car, but are you sure its "300+Hp" with only an intake and exhaust? :OMG:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MRballer350z, nice looking car, but are you sure its "300+Hp" with only an intake and exhaust? :OMG:
[snapback]139550[/snapback]​
[/quote]

lol no i'm not sure, but it sounds better this way :werd: I mean, if we go with the factory specs and you figure 287hp + intake and exhaust it's technically over 300hp, but in reality it's probably closer to about 287hp with the CAI and exhaust, but my tru-ground kit adds atleast 10hp :rolf2: Doesn't really matter that much that I say that does it? It's all in good fun to say I own a 300hp 350z and a 400hp gti. Close enough ;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Daking350Z@Jul 30 2005, 08:19 AM
Actually clutch chatter is NOT normal, that signifies a bad throwout bearing. We found many times for some odd reason the throwout bearings from Nissan are not properly lubricated and become rusty.We have seen this on about 3 cars so far.Somehow the moisture got into the bell housing and affected the throwout bearings.A stock clutch should not chatter.
[snapback]139518[/snapback]​

Yet another issue to write down for my "dealership fix" list. Will they have to drop the tranny for this? I'd really prefer not to to replace a stock clutch for the same factory one.

·
Registered
92 Posts
that chatter u hear is normal caused by the lighweight flywheel.. I suggest raising the idle and itll help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts