Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a fairly new 350Z owner and this is the first time I have waxed it. I went with Zaino and followed the "Dr. Bonz Zaino Protocol" post for instructions. I put the first coat of wax on and left it over night to dry, came back after about 18 hours and wiped it off, it left a film of what seemed like oil that smears when I touch it with my finger. Now did I do something wrong?
When I spray on Z6 ( I think) should I just spray it on the car or should I spray it on a cloth and apply it that way, the only reason I ask is, the first time used it, I sprayed it on the car and some droplets carried on the air and left spots on the car before I could wipe them off.

Any insight for a rookie like my self would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
I am a fairly new 350Z owner and this is the first time I have waxed it. I went with Zaino and followed the "Dr. Bonz Zaino Protocol" post for instructions. I put the first coat of wax on and left it over night to dry, came back after about 18 hours and wiped it off, it left a film of what seemed like oil that smears when I touch it with my finger. Now did I do something wrong?
When I spray on Z6 ( I think) should I just spray it on the car or should I spray it on a cloth and apply it that way, the only reason I ask is, the first time used it, I sprayed it on the car and some droplets carried on the air and left spots on the car before I could wipe them off.

Any insight for a rookie like my self would be greatly appreciated
Welcome to the forum.

Was the car under cover, in a garage, overnight? If not, morning dew or high humidity may have squirreled up the process.

Did you add ZFX to the Zaino? After 18 hours on the paint, even without ZFX, the product should not smear or have an 'oily' consistency. I am suspecting moisture in the form of dew or too much Zaino absent the ZFX additive was applied to the paint. I am unaware of many detailers that use Zaino without the ZFX flash cure additive anymore. Sal Zaino does not recommend it, although the method does appear in Dr. Bonz protocol.

How much product did you use? Zaino ships with a 2 ounce bottle for mixing. 3/4 of one ounce will cover all the paint on a 350Z easily.

Did you order the Zaino from the website or use some left over from last year. Zaino will break down over time during storage, especially in hot climates.

Spray the Z-6 directly on the paint....one section at a time and wipe/rub it into the paint. The paint should be cool to the touch as Z-6 dries fast.

You can always call Sal if you continue to have problems...he will be happy to answer any questions for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I kept the Z in the garage, but not under a cover so that may have been it.

I have had the zaino products since last fall, but I never got around to using them till now. is that to long a time? they were kept in a closet out of the sun, and in the box they came in.

Ok the paint must have been too hot when I used the z6, I will park the car in the shade next time.

I used one ounce of polish with 3 drops of zfx

Thanks for the quick response.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
I kept the Z in the garage, but not under a cover so that may have been it.

I have had the zaino products since last fall, but I never got around to using them till now. is that to long a time? they were kept in a closet out of the sun, and in the box they came in.

Ok the paint must have been too hot when I used the z6, I will park the car in the shade next time.

I used one ounce of polish with 3 drops of zfx

Thanks for the quick response.
Sorry, I didn't mean that you needed to put a cover on the car. I was trying to make sure that dew or any other form of moisture had not come into contact with the paint at the same time as the Zaino.

I still don't have an explanation for the Zaino being 'oily'.

Make sure you shake up the polish well prior to mixing with ZFX...then shake the polish + ZFX for 90 seconds. You are using about the right amount on the car imo.

Is this a new car or pre-owned?

If pre-owned, it may have had a wax build-up on the paint. If you wash it with Dawn any wax residue will be eliminated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car is pre-owned, but I washed it down with dawn before I started.

I wiped down the car with z6 again, it seemed to clean off the oily wax residue. I applied the second coat of z5, and wiped if off last night, it left no oily residue.

I'm guessing that I did not shake it very well the first time, so it didn't dry well.

You have been very helpful, thanks for all the info.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, that's a great guide, I definitely learned a few things. Thanks for the link.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts