Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone!
So I've had my heart set on getting myself a Z for awhile and I'm about ready to make my purchase. I've done a lot of research but I was really hoping to get some feedback from the diehard owners to help me make a decision on what model and what year I should focus on. I'd really appreciate any input that you all have!!

Some background on what I'm looking for:

• This will be a very minor project car. By that I mean I plan on doing some relatively minor mods - cosmetic stuff (interior and exterior) and some relatively minor mechanical/performance mods. Likely an intake, exhaust, probably headers, suspension, etc. (Any suggestions/input on go-to mods is much appreciated). This will not be a car where I'm rebuilding the engine, adding a turbo kit, or other big or expensive changes.
  • I'm not looking to build a race car and I'm not going to be putting A LOT of money into mods. I know "a lot" is a relative term lol. Let's just say I will not be Doubling the cost of the car with mods. I'm looking to take an affordable, nice looking, fun to drive car and make it a little nicer looking and a little more fun to drive!
  • I will be using the car on a regular basis. It might not always be my daily driver, but it'll certainly be semi-daily depending on the time of year. It's not a project/race car that's going to be sitting for long periods of time. So whatever I buy, reliability is important to me and, like I said, I'm not going to be rebuilding the engine so that needs to be factored in when deciding on the model/year and mileage
  • I'm not going to be giving myself a huge budget for the car. That was a big reason why I eventually settled on the Z as what I wanted to get for my "fun car" - The fact that on top of the endless customization options, for a car that's pretty strong from its base, the used market for them is very affordable.
  • How are the 350 and 370 engines (and the rest of the car for that matter) as far a reliability and mileage. Should I be avoiding cars much over 100k miles? I know most of it has to do with how it was maintained and if it was abused and beat on but unfortunately aside from getting a feel of the person you're buying it from, it's hard to know for sure how it was driven so I'm talking in the most general sense. Is this an engine/Tranny there you really want to stay away from higher mileage? I've always loved my Civics because you can hit 120k and it'll still run like it's a couple years old and feels like it's got another 200k in it. I don't expect it to be on the level of a civic in that sense. Those civics are designed for longevity not nessesarily for sport. The Z engines are built much more powerfully and it's just a completely different animal. Generally speaking, assuming it was taken care of and not beat to ****, can I get a Z with over 100k and not have to worry about everything breaking down in the semi-near future
  • When it comes to how much I spend on the car; first I need to settle on a year and model I'm looking for but then it's going to come down to bang for buck and what kind I've deal I've found. I.e. (and I'm just making these prices to make an example) If I happened to come across an older 350 (say 04-05ish) but with really low miles for the year and in good condition for its age than I'd be ok spending less for the older car and have more money to play with after. Likewise if I find a newer 370 that's a really good deal, I'm fine spending more. I could be looking to 6k or I could be looking to spend more like 12k. Thus why I'm looking for feedback to narrow down what I'm looking for because I'm budget and what I'm willing to spend on the car itself.

SO, with that being said, does anyone have any suggestions as far as what car they would recommend. I do want it to be reliable once I purchase it, so if I went with the 350 I doubt I would go any older than 07ish, unless I happen to come across something older that happens to have really low miles and be in good shape.

As owners, what do you recommend? Should I be looking for newer 350s or older 370s?

Any feedback would be a huge help! I'm new to the forum so mods, if i picked the wrong category for this post please move this thread to a different area where it'll be seen.

Thanks!!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,612 Posts
Welcome- I'd suggest looking for a track or NISMO 350Z with complete service records. You're wise not to mod the engine/powertrain as they are generally very reliable and capable of 250K+ if maintained properly. You don't mention whether you can drive a manual tranny, but they are a joy if you can find one. Both the 07-08 350Z and the 370Z use concentric slave cylinders (CSC) in the six speed trannys that are known to fail. I'd convert those to an aftermarket external slave cylinder for greater reliability.

If you find a high mileage Z on the original suspension, I'd suggest swapping out the shocks for high quality units from Bilstein or Koni for a better ride. The Zs are sensitive to camber settings, so get them properly aligned on a laser rack. Be sure to change all the fluids (engine, tranny, brake and radiator) with products known to work well (search or ask here) with these systems. Hope this helps and again, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome- I'd suggest looking for a track or NISMO 350Z with complete service records. You're wise not to mod the engine/powertrain as they are generally very reliable and capable of 250K+ if maintained properly. You don't mention whether you can drive a manual tranny, but they are a joy if you can find one. Both the 07-08 350Z and the 370Z use concentric slave cylinders (CSC) in the six speed trannys that are known to fail. I'd convert those to an aftermarket external slave cylinder for greater reliability.

If you find a high mileage Z on the original suspension, I'd suggest swapping out the shocks for high quality units from Bilstein or Koni for a better ride. The Zs are sensitive to camber settings, so get them properly aligned on a laser rack. Be sure to change all the fluids (engine, tranny, brake and radiator) with products known to work well (search or ask here) with these systems. Hope this helps and again, welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the reply!
I forgot to mention that I'm only interested in a manual. Part of the reason for me settling on a Z, this will be my first manual for. I know how to drive stick, although I haven't done so very much as every car I've owned has been automatic and even though I know how, I'm most definitely inexperienced. I wouldn't dare do any mod to upgrade the clutch/shifter early on because I'm anticipating I may be a little rough on the clutch early on until I'm a more experienced manual driver. I've read in a couple places that the Z can be a little tricky as far as manual cars go.

I've been doing a lot of window shopping lately and it looks like finding the right car is going to take longer than I expected. It doesn't look like there are many 350s available in my area (within 100 miles of me. And of whats available, 90% are automatic and/or convertible. I'm not at all interested in a convertible. Just my personally preference, there are very few cars I think look good in a soft top and the Z definitely isn't one of them. For the 370s, I'm mostly finding 2017 and newer for 25-30K+ plus and that's just more than I'm looking to spend. As tempted as I am to go that route, I just can't justify that price tag for a 2 seater weekend car lol
You mentioned changing out the shocks. The suspension is likely one of the mods I'd focus on early on. I've seen a lot of YouTube videos about the big difference that mod makes and I'd most likely put in coilovers and lower it slightly but not much, I'm not looking to deal with bottoming out constantly or having to baby it in and out of the driveway

Thanks again for the input!
Also, I just noticed your a mod. Would you suggest moving this post to a different area maybe for more views/replies? I know any forum on I'm I rarely look through the new members section lol

·
Super Moderator
1,612 Posts
You're welcome and since the traffic here isn't large, I think your post will get as much attention here as any other forum I might move you to. Since you mention this is your first manual car, I'd also suggest paying for a full mechanical assessment done to evaluate any potential purchase, including remaining life of the clutch. If the tranny is notchy, consider changing out the clutch fluid to Redline MT85, as that synthetic tranny lube is formulated with enough friction to allow the syncros to work properly.

Also, a word about coilovers, they are useful for racing, but require you to do a realignment every time you raise or lower the ride height. That's OK for the track, but I'd rather use a OEM type replacement like the Bilstein B9 or Koni Sport 8241 shock that allows you to set the alignment once, and then leave it alone for a street car.

It may take awhile to find the right Z, but you're on the right track. Be patient and keep looking- there's the right one at the right price out there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're welcome and since the traffic here isn't large, I think your post will get as much attention here as any other forum I might move you to. Since you mention this is your first manual car, I'd also suggest paying for a full mechanical assessment done to evaluate any potential purchase, including remaining life of the clutch. If the tranny is notchy, consider changing out the clutch fluid to Redline MT85, as that synthetic tranny lube is formulated with enough friction to allow the syncros to work properly.

Also, a word about coilovers, they are useful for racing, but require you to do a realignment every time you raise or lower the ride height. That's OK for the track, but I'd rather use a OEM type replacement like the Bilstein B9 or Koni Sport 8241 shock that allows you to set the alignment once, and then leave it alone for a street car.

It may take awhile to find the right Z, but you're on the right track. Be patient and keep looking- there's the right one at the right price out there.
Thank you very much! I'll remember that about the suspension. Whenever I'm able to get it, it most definitely isn't going to be a track car, or street racing for that matter. Just looking for a fun ride. So I'll definitely keep that in mind.

I have no problem paying for a mechanic to look over the car, it just might be tough because it looks like I'm probably not likely to find one that's local and easy to get to my shop. Private sellers are usually okay with bringing it by your shop if they are local. Dealerships are usually less accommodating with having a car leave their lot to go get looked over at a customer's shop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts