Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Z. As everyone I want to start slow with my first mod for gain of HP. I want to do it right and not cut corners. I don't want to go full blown supercharged, not yet anyway. Looking for intake and exhaust opinions.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Intake and exhaust are more of a personal preference thing. The gains that you get even from this pair of mods are going to be minimal. See what your budget is for this, then surf some sites to see what is out there and then pick one that you like basically. I have the borla TD and the K&N typhoon and i love the combo! But like I said, it's more of a personal preference. The exhaust note that you are looking for should be a start. Good luck and congrats!!!! :clap:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Well seeing as how there is not that much to gain from intake or exhaust and because it is probably best to hear them in person. I recommend your first "mod" be adjusting the headlights. Ok, it's not a mod but it is something you will probably want to do as the factory seems to aim them low.
The next mod I suggest in a shift knob, unless you are fully happy with the stock one, at least it is something you can see and touch every day and wont cost to much money, compared to other mods.
If your heart is set on intake or exhaust, I recommend doing a search for peoples opinions as I know there are probably 2 active threads about them and at least two dozen older ones.
Everybody has their favorites, some of the popular brands for this are Nismo (Intake & Exhaust), AEM (I only and the same as Nismo), Injen (I&E), Borla (E only), K&N (I only), Stillen (I&E), Greddy (E only), Fujitsubo (E Only), HKS (E only), and I am sure many more.

Chris

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by HyperSprite@Jul 19 2005, 08:35 PM
Well seeing as how there is not that much to gain from intake or exhaust and because it is probably best to hear them in person. I recommend your first "mod" be adjusting the headlights. Ok, it's not a mod but it is something you will probably want to do as the factory seems to aim them low.
  The next mod I suggest in a shift knob, unless you are fully happy with the stock one, at least it is something you can see and touch every day and wont cost to much money, compared to other mods.
  If your heart is set on intake or exhaust, I recommend doing a search for peoples opinions as I know there are probably 2 active threads about them and at least two dozen older ones.
  Everybody has their favorites, some of the popular brands for this are Nismo (Intake & Exhaust), AEM (I only and the same as Nismo), Injen (I&E), Borla (E only), K&N (I only), Stillen (I&E), Greddy (E only), Fujitsubo (E Only), HKS (E only), and I am sure many more.

Chris
[snapback]134210[/snapback]​

Thanks. What can I do get some significant hp gain? Is there a middle road?

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Originally posted by tanzjm24@Jul 19 2005, 08:40 PM
Thanks. What can I do get some significant hp gain? Is there a middle road?
[snapback]134213[/snapback]​

What is the budget?

(edit) didn't see you were looking at intake and exhaust.. i was going to suggest final drive mod.. that you will def. feel. :)

Intake/exhaust is a lot of personal prefernce. Listen to as many as you can in person. Video / Audio clips online are okay.. but not perfect.. Live is best.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
my first mod was an intake, the car just sounded too flat for me

i went with K&N Typhoon because i like the polished intake pipe, CF lidded airbox and air pickup scoop. Plus its a short ram with a pod filter, so u get that sucking noise on/off throttle, yet fully legal given the filter is enclosed in its own airbox (important for Aus)

but they all work the same, like everyone says, its personal pref

combining the intake with a plenum spacer could be a good move, more air on both sides of the throttle body

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
I personally see intakes as a waste. You're really not going to notice any difference with them as the stock intake system is already designed well. Exhaust would be good because at least you can hear the difference and get a nice sound out of that VQ.. i'd recommend the Borla TD simply because I like the sound of it. Another option to check out would definitely be either a replacement plenum (crawford, aps, kinetix) or a plenum spacer (motordyne, aam). You can get some decent hp from that. Good luck with your modding... once you start you won't be able to stop!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I searched your profile for the model that you have but couldn't find it. If you have the 35th or track model you may want to rethink the plenum spacers and/or replacement. The 300 horse power version, that is found in both of those models has a revised plenum that addresses the uneven air distribution to the cylinders. I'm sure some have done it, and I guess it certainly won't hurt, but you are using a sledge hammer to swat a fly.

You know the saying, opinion's are like a$$holes, and believe me you will hear plenty of em. I would recommend an intake. Even if you are not benefiting from a surge of power, there has been independent dyno tests showing a 6whp gain from the Jim Wolf Technology Pop Charger (i believe it was sportZ magazine, which is a must if you don't get it already). It's a cinch to install, "only" cost's 125 bones, and it makes her howl when you put your foot in it. It is just a beginning step to the whole free flowing exhaust chase, but thats what you want. Add your exhaust next, and like the guys said, listen to the different tones on this site: everything350z and you are on your way. You will notice greater gains down the road from these, when and if you decide to throw your wallet at your car and go with a FI (forced induction) setup.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I hope it helps. Welcome to the addiction man.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts