Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i completed my first autocross today.
To put things into perspective the fastest time of the day was a 2.0L S2000 with a time of 40.1 sec. Pretty much tied with a modified early 90's MR2.
My first three (of 6) runs were as follows:
48.8 sec
48.1 sec
46.1 sec
I was careful, i was having problems with understeer and putting the power down.
I saw a modified 350z burning alot of rubber, loud and roudy, with an overwhelmingly aggresive driving technique (drifting, tailout, yadda, yadda) land a raw time of 43 sec. That was with missed gates though.

So i tried to get aggresive for my next two runs thinking getting the tail out will let me keep speed.
My next two runs resulted as follows:
56. somthin' (i ate it big time)

That simply did not work.
So i went back to my old stragegy and tried to keep it clean.
and nailed a 45 sec run on my last.

Now the entire course (forgive the launch) was run in 2nd gear and this car gets tail happy.
I was never fully on the throttle and i was coasting alot. I wish i had more runs because i think i could have squeezed a couple more seconds, but i wasted my runs on aggresiveness.

All in All i had a blast.
Here was the course layout.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To make a short story long...(reference the attachment)
i had my particular troubles entering gate 12 with understeer (got over that only by run 5). Cured with throttle of course.

i never mustered the confidence in gunning through 18,19,20 (which could be acomplished in a straight line) which left me accelerating lightly in 21, 22, and 23. which had me biting the brakes for gate 25. In contrast the S2000 that ran best time accerated through 18, 19, 20 and coasted through until 25.

Then i had trouble planting the car in gate 30 (that 56 second time was me hitting the outside cone and spinning there).

All in all it was fun.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Too Late i'm hooked, i can't wait till next month. The South Texas Border Region SCCA hosted the event. I am probably going to join the Club. At practice day on saturday there was 33 cars for the untimed runs. On competition day on saturday there was about 25 cars.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Practice makes perfect. Keep your eyes ahead and try slowing down earlier in the areas where you had bad understeer. Go slower and turn less. Also check your tire pressures; test and adjust for different sections.

What tires were you running? PSI?

Nice track. Looks fun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts