Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a customer who blew his motor with his APS TT set up on his car. This is the first one we have seen and are suspecting it was an oil starvation issue.When we got the car we had to add almost 3qts of oil and dont know if it was the cause or effect of the motor blowing. He managed to spin the #6 cylinder rod end bearing pulley, thrashing the crank shaft in the process. We are in the process of building the motor up for him with stronger internals. We dont know at this time if he damaged the turbos in the process,but are keeping our fingers crossed.Here are some pics of the bad rod.Notice the blueish color from heating up and the egg shape to the end of the connecting rod. We also do not know if the turbos had the smoking issue prior to the failure.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nasty, that really saw some temps. Any other info like shop install or self install, time/miles since kit install and before install, last oil change any related history of oil consumption? How did the rings look?
The kit was sourced from a non authorised APS dealer for a discounted price,since the kid contacted our shop initially looking for a deal,he ultimately purchased it from another vendor for much less money than list.The kit was installed by his mechanic friends,the install was pretty good,however we found several small mistakes but nothing to warrant engine failure. The oil had not been changed in about 5000 miles according to him. :headshake: The car was tuned 1000 miles prior to failure by a shop that tunes uni-chip. There are no visible signs of any detonation playing a role in the failure.We believe it was oil starvation to the bearings caused either by lack of oil from burning excess oil through the turbos,or high oil temps...
At any rate we are concearned for his turbos at this point,seeing how they are the very last piece of the puzzle to recieve lubrication from the engine's oil...

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmmmm interesting timing........especially with the bitching going on with Peter in the Aus section
Actually its been on the other forums for a while now,and the guy posted it not me...I felt by not posting it here that it would take away from this site as a whole and witholding information is not good for anyone now is it. APS makes a great product and this thread is to show the people that even with the greatest of products there is a chance of failure...We feel that no matter what form of F/I this kid chose,he would have blown his motor under the same conditions. Hope this clears it up..

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well i dont see the reason why we are blaming APS, maybe we should blame the installer as well as the owner

it seems like the mistakes came from them
Not one is blaming APS.Where exactly did you read that? Im simply saying that proper maintainance is key on any FI car.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
+1..

Julian has been very professional about his business choices in my opinion.
Was it leaking ? What do you believe at this time , J?
Well, the APs turbos are known for smoking,I still can not get my left one to stop,despite doing all the reccomended fixes by APS.We feel he lost oil and simply neglected to check or change it and that was the end of his #6 rod bearing. As far as the smoking issues,we feel APs sent out a batch of faulty turbos and refuse to take responsability for it.This is one reason why we no longer carry their products.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well, the APs turbos are known for smoking,I still can not get my left one to stop,despite doing all the reccomended fixes by APS.We feel he lost oil and simply neglected to check or change it and that was the end of his #6 rod bearing. As far as the smoking issues,we feel APs sent out a batch of faulty turbos and refuse to take responsability for it.This is one reason why we no longer carry their products.
I was told that the APS oil pan might be a cause of the turbo smoking problems. At least that was a suggestion from the guys at AAM. I have the APS oil pan since the greddy pan that came with my kit had a bunch of pin holes in the cast. Which greddy refused to replace! But mike said something to me about the oil not being able to return properly or something along that line....and thats causing some turbos to have issues. Just repeating what I was told.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts