Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

Which application does your car fall under?

• Total voters
101 - 120 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello everybody, im new to this site but just wanted to add my two cents on this touchy subject....i bought my 350z last year its an 03 track and i loved it...yup loved as in past tense, i say this because within three months of learning the car and its limits i enjoyed driving it very much, but it was at that three month mark that i met another 350z owner, a proud FI 350z owner after getting to know him and driving his FI(well thought out, tuned, and gorgeous sounding) 350z i was in love... three months later my z was FI courtesy of an APS TTkit and a very smart well trained NISSAN tech and myself... now as far as NA i love the 350z for what it is. its a great car for the money, good looking, fast, and reliable, but sometimes a huge mod like FI should be looked at more like a whole different car. You need to treat the car differently and keep a close eye on it. I can honestly say that FI is the way to go if you want a car that can outperform most other cars on the street, and i occasionally take mine to the track too... so think it out before you jump straight in and make a rash decision...drive a FI 350Z then you can really appreciate the differences...
btw...my local dyno reads over 425hp and 383ft/lbs running at 7.3
and as far as reliability goes, shes as reliable as ever....eating vettes and mustangs day and night :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
hello everybody, im new to this site but just wanted to add my two cents on this touchy subject....i bought my 350z last year its an 03 track and i loved it...yup loved as in past tense, i say this because within three months of learning the car and its limits i enjoyed driving it very much, but it was at that three month mark that i met another 350z owner, a proud FI 350z owner after getting to know him and driving his FI(well thought out, tuned, and gorgeous sounding) 350z i was in love... three months later my z was FI courtesy of an APS TTkit and a very smart well trained NISSAN tech and myself... now as far as NA i love the 350z for what it is. its a great car for the money, good looking, fast, and reliable, but sometimes a huge mod like FI should be looked at more like a whole different car. You need to treat the car differently and keep a close eye on it. I can honestly say that FI is the way to go if you want a car that can outperform most other cars on the street, and i occasionally take mine to the track too... so think it out before you jump straight in and make a rash decision...drive a FI 350Z then you can really appreciate the differences...
btw...my local dyno reads over 425hp and 383ft/lbs running at 7.3
and as far as reliability goes, shes as reliable as ever....eating vettes and mustangs day and night :shiftdrive:
Congrats

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Supercharger won't give you as much HP as a Twin Turbo kit. Nowhere near the maximum potential of a TT kit actually. It all depends on what you're looking for. That said a TT kit can be mild as well. If you're doing a Supercharger kit take a look at the new HKS Supecharger coming out, also the Vortech can be a good choice.

Or you can do a mild Turbo like the STS rear-mount or the APS single turbo.

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
Supercharger won't give you as much HP as a Twin Turbo kit. Nowhere near the maximum potential of a TT kit actually. It all depends on what you're looking for. That said a TT kit can be mild as well. If you're doing a Supercharger kit take a look at the new HKS Supecharger coming out, also the Vortech can be a good choice.

Just a question Devilz. Do you have the first two sentences of the above statement saved so you can just past in on nearly every thread you participate in?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts

I had the Vortech and didn't get near the money's worth. I have the STS rear mount with 380+ to the wheels. Granted, this is not a 500HP twin set up...but I would def not call the APS or STS mild. With that said....If FI is desire I would turbo (single or double) or stay NA and do a build like Matt..He is very happy with his new power.

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
Well like everyone always says it depends on what your after. I just figure I can spend a little (in comparison to a fi kit) on na mods, and spend a bunch on stuff to make it handle and stop better, or I can get a fi kit. So basically for the money I want to spend on the car I could have bought a kit and bragged to everyone and tell them how i could kill corvettes on the street, or I could try to build a well balanced car for the track and autox. I choose to do the latter. Now if you have tons of money you can do what Jim did and have your cake and eat it to. Just don't expect it to be cheap.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Well like everyone always says it depends on what your after. I just figure I can spend a little (in comparison to a fi kit) on na mods, and spend a bunch on stuff to make it handle and stop better, or I can get a fi kit. So basically for the money I want to spend on the car I could have bought a kit and bragged to everyone and tell them how i could kill corvettes on the street, or I could try to build a well balanced car for the track and autox. I choose to do the latter. Now if you have tons of money you can do what Jim did and have your cake and eat it to. Just don't expect it to be cheap.

+1. it aint cheap.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts

Sure you can. The kits out there right now might not put down that kinda power, but that doesn't need to be a limiting factor. Use an M90 or M112 supercharger, or a big displacement Rotrex unit, or a custom Autorotor unit. The options are out there, they're just not boil and bag like most people on here seem to like.

~Pat

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Sure you can. The kits out there right now might not put down that kinda power, but that doesn't need to be a limiting factor. Use an M90 or M112 supercharger, or a big displacement Rotrex unit, or a custom Autorotor unit. The options are out there, they're just not boil and bag like most people on here seem to like.

~Pat
They're more expensive as well. Although that M90 sounds nice. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone, I’m new to the forum but not new to cars of course :)

I think the Z is a good overall package like everyone says, Looks, power, handling and price...I don't think the Z needs a lot more power, I’m sure with a little weight reduction, suspesion, brake, wheels, tires, and some nice bolt ones and tuning to try to be at 330-350 you can have a good overall car (street, track, etc.) Something that can be driven hard and of course be controlled, why have power when you can’t control or put down on the ground. Of course this is where the question comes in as to "what you want to do?" Drag? Well FI is defiantly the way to go for power gains, Auto cross? Well a nice NA with basic bolt ones and tuning would be great for response but a supercharger could help as well, but that’s not part of the question to this topic I guess… but with suspension, brakes and a wheel tire combo it would be the choice. I mean a stock 13 sec car isn't too bad if you ask me (for the price). But of course to his, his own. I think the questions shouldn’t be what’s better NA or FI…it’s more of a “What do I want to do with my car, and how much do I have to spend?”

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Hello everyone, I’m new to the forum but not new to cars of course :)

I think the Z is a good overall package like everyone says, Looks, power, handling and price...I don't think the Z needs a lot more power, I’m sure with a little weight reduction, suspesion, brake, wheels, tires, and some nice bolt ones and tuning to try to be at 330-350 you can have a good overall car (street, track, etc.) Something that can be driven hard and of course be controlled, why have power when you can’t control or put down on the ground. Of course this is where the question comes in as to "what you want to do?" Drag? Well FI is defiantly the way to go for power gains, Auto cross? Well a nice NA with basic bolt ones and tuning would be great for response but a supercharger could help as well, but that’s not part of the question to this topic I guess… but with suspension, brakes and a wheel tire combo it would be the choice. I mean a stock 13 sec car isn't too bad if you ask me (for the price). But of course to his, his own. I think the questions shouldn’t be what’s better NA or FI…it’s more of a “What do I want to do with my car, and how much do I have to spend?”
I would be totally happy with a reliable street car that puts down 330-350 hp, whether it's NA or FI. And like you said, I wouldn't want to put down a lot of money for it, either.

With time and money working against most of us who use the Z as a daily driver, it's hard to experiment with bolt ons and tuning sessions to get over 300hp at the wheels.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
They're more expensive as well. Although that M90 sounds nice. :)
Fast costs money, how much do you want to spend?
That said, if fast is your goal, a custom m90 probably wouldn't be that expensive. I can't find a new unit anywhere online, so price wise on that, I'm not sure. However, after that, its mostly an issue of creating a custom plenum. Cerebus and I discussed it one night, and it looks like it may actually fit better under the hood. If memory serves me right, its not quite as tall as the stock m62. The other issue was feeding air in, as the unit would sit further back.

If only every owner/member thought of it like that. :cheers:
:welcome: to Tech.
+1

~Pat

·
Premium Member
2,562 Posts
OK... Now that I've gone Twin Turbo I'm gonna say this...
1) If you have the cash ($10k+) and want 375+whp F/I is the only route.
2) I have zero regrets about going F/I. I enjoy my powerband 100%
3) I have 100% confidence in my tuner therefore I have zero worries about the motor
4) If I had the cash and another Z I would like to take a new challenage and do a N/A build
5) Both N/A & F/I have there pluses and minues. N/A; a lot cheaper and less stress. F/I; Crazy power gains & fun factor is a lot higher.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I say FI, but with the money you can achieve the same horse power in a NA format. With a faster and smoother response time, I have a question. With the improvements of fuel injection and engine management with the improvements to turbo's upcoming could you achieve the same response as NA?

·
Premium Member
2,562 Posts
QUOTE (Jones @ Jun 6 2008, 08:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=533966
I say FI, but with the money you can achieve the same horse power in a NA format. With a faster and smoother response time, I have a question. With the improvements of fuel injection and engine management with the improvements to turbo's upcoming could you achieve the same response as NA?
Hate to tell you this but with the VQ35DE if you spent the same money on both a F/I & N/A build, the F/I build will see larger gains. Not saying a N/A is bad, wrong, or pointless. Just you won't net the same gains. Now I have yet to see a VQ35HR N/A build but the Greddy HR TT build I beleive was in the mid/high 400whp range.

101 - 120 of 128 Posts