Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

Which application does your car fall under?

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
FI... it's like sex once you have it you just want more and more and more! I dont road race and I dont drag race, but I do appreciate a quick car, and that's what I was after, or am still after. I still need to get away from my stock exhaust, and get a better fuel system. Maybe in the near future I'll be done w/ my car enough to enjoy what it's capable of :) If I could do it all over again I'd of just saved for FI and kept the car stock till the time came to boost it. N/A is such a waste of time and effort for a slow car *IMO. That's what I think now after going thru all the N/A mods as they were released, and finally going boosted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Gee I wonder why your na efforts were a waste of money? Perhaps living in Denver at >5k above sea level had something to do with that?

It's going to be fun/interesting to see what happens to these high boost tt's a few years from now. I think the s/c and n/a guys are going to have the last laugh on that one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't own a new Z(yet), so I will not vote, however I guess I will share my opinion. IMO the Z has the advantage of using either and performing on a level with cars that would be considered superior. My current car is turbo'd because it has to be, however my route for my Z when I buy it will be NA. A good suspension, weight reduction (100lbs+), and 20-30hp in NA bolt ons will leave me with a great track car, for autox/time trials/whatever other events I can find. I love boost, I am driving my 2nd turbo'd car and the experience is great, but with 4 cylinder cars turbo is really the only way to go. With the Z NA mods do not harm the cars power delivery and they don't wear on engine parts near as hard as FI (more specifically turbo's), plus the Z's baseline horsepower numbers are pretty stout considering it is NA. If I were building a racecar and rules permitted I would lean more towards boost simply for the ability to adjust power settings for track conditions, track length, and other conditions. I know on my current car I was able to improve my lap times at a track event(Mid-Ohio) by backing off the boost due to a slick track, and upping the boost when the track dried. It is a matter of personal preference, but I prefer smooth predictable power delivery and good handling over sheer power and muscling the car (then again RWD is more fun than FWD so what do I know)

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I like how NA is ahead of FI.

The nagging thought in my mind is that NA will last longer than FI and will have less maintenance issues. Like someone stated, I'd rather be reassured that I have a car I can start at anytime and drive it anytime. Too often, I read about someone who turbo'd their Z and is now asking for help from the forum.

·
Premium Member
2,562 Posts
I honestly like both. Most day I want to stay N/A, other I want to F/I. I think all said in done I'll most likely stay N/A. It comes donw to your goals with the car and your monsy situation.

·
Registered
143 Posts
so, I guess everyone's saying is just get every bolt-on and then tune and call it a day? That's probably what I'll end up doing and leaving it that way. :shoot:

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
My 2 cents...I've never had so much fun as I've had with my FI Z...having said that, DO NOT try to ball on a budget or you will regret it. You must have the cash to back up the boost, and she will treat you well...

·
Registered
6 Posts
To shock many, I've done a complete "engine rebuilt". Decided that it would be best that way in terms of longtivity. As many before me have said, I've heard to many nightmares of FI engines and the probable mistakes that may/can happen.

I've Done the following to the engine:

HC Pistons marked 11.1:1 with .5mm overbore
Cams
Plenum
Full system Exhaust including headers - elminating the caty
Spark plugs - Iridium based
Ligher forged rods
Underdrive Pulley set - Unorthadox
Lighter Fly wheel w/clutch system
Valve spring with rollers kit
Ported and pollished heads - 5 angle
CPU - UTEC
K/N Intake System
Currently Dyno'd at 290HP at the Wheel.

Not to bad but yes... it costed me something around 10k. For the same amount yes I could of gone F/I. I was really focused and concerned with 2 things. Immediate power at lower RPM levels and a longer engine life without and possible engine blow. The power is great and I love it... "different strokes for different folks". I chose N/A.

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
A daily driver? NA.
A weekend extravagance? FI

THIS older thread gives hope to the NA folk....an accomplished driver?.

IMO, FI will shorten the life of the motor without internals and will obviously cost more along the way. But if one has the dough to play at that level, why not?

Personally, my Z is my daily driver and I put WAY too many miles on it to F with it FI.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Is this poll over yet? LOL

·
Registered
610 Posts
For those of you that voted for NA, you guys don't know what your missing. Most of you likely have never experienced the sound of hearing the blow off valve release pressure, and hear the exhaust roar in anger. FI is like crack once you try it, you can never go back.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
For those of you that voted for NA, you guys don't know what your missing. Most of you likely have never experienced the sound of hearing the blow off valve release pressure, and hear the exhaust roar in anger. FI is like crack once you try it, you can never go back.
I voted NA. :wavey:

And while I agree, they are very fun. There is also something to say for a nice NA machine.

Once you have owned a few turbochared cars, you don't quite get as excited as you did the first time.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Is this poll over yet? LOL
NEVAR!

I voted NA, but I've driven FI cars.

·
Registered
610 Posts

And while I agree, they are very fun. There is also something to say for a nice NA machine.

Once you have owned a few turbochared cars, you don't quite get as excited as you did the first time.
I guess so, since I'm on my first turbocharged car, all my previous ones have been NA, so im biased.

N

·
0 Posts

You do when you kick the **** out of a EVO or STI or Corvette. :shiftdrive:

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
You do when you kick the **** out of a EVO or STI or Corvette. :shiftdrive:
It's even better when you kick the **** out of an EVO or STI when your Z is NA. :shiftdrive: Me and my measly 250whp had no trouble putting down others with 350whp+ last season. It's all about how you use the power you have.

Lee, I have 3 turbocharged cars here at the moment. And I'll be supercharging the iSt if I ever get around to it this season. I've had plenty of fun with Forced Induction. Again, there really is something to be said for a fine NA machine. Take it FWIW.

Nothing for nothing. I Love lots of cars. FI and NA. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
I guess so, since I'm on my first turbocharged car, all my previous ones have been NA, so im biased.
FI rocks. I just think sometimes the giggle factor puts people over the edge.

If you drove a Z with 350hp+.. you'd go ape over it too I believe. It's all in how the power is delivered.. Since it easy to make gobs of power with FI; people do it. But, it would be equally as fun (if not more) when you deliver that power on an NA slope. It's more predictable and easier to manage.

But then again, it's all top end power. FI has that nice midrange push going for it. And that's what people love.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Don't get me wrong, those people that go all motor and can put out high HP figures get my props over some guy that just bolted a turbo and called it a day. The effort put into the car is what matters, if your pushing 350hp NA, your a badass, simply put.

·
Registered
145 Posts
my first car was turbocharged, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to miss it, I enjoyed the surge of power that came with the lag and laughing at the person sitting in the passenger seat even though it wasn't that fast...stock Z will be faster, and NA/engine longevity (totally butchered that word) was a factor when i decided on this car

·
Registered
213 Posts
Either way you got NA or FI you need both of them to achieve the highest output gains!

41 - 60 of 128 Posts