Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

Which application does your car fall under?

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 128 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Different strokes for different folks. Terri did a good job of explaining herself. For her needs, she wants to stay NA. That's kind of what I wanted this poll to reflect. How many are NA and stay that way, and how many are now FI and like it.

Let's keep the discussions going! :thumbsup:

Lee, 100+hp gains are fine for serious racers or people who have the time to go out to track events or meets. But there are those who don't mind staying NA and paying a few thousand dollars for bolt ons for a gain of say 20-30 hp but also a better suspension and handling capabilities.
What about 100hp gains plus the suspension? makes for one helluva ride :shiftdrive: my car only has 353 hp and 328TQ......its not hard to manage at auto X, plus I think that is pretty safe on the stock block. Now the 240 I seriously doubt you could drive in auto X without spinning out, but it was not built for that.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
I'm happy with the NA power I'm putting down. A few more would be nice for track work. But I honestly doubt most people are using their FI Z to the most of their abilities.

Simply put. It's very difficult to use 300hp on the street.. Let alone 400, 500, etc.. Don't misunderstand. That much power IS a blast. But it gets old quick when you don't have a balanced machine.

Being able to use that power is what's important to me. Yes, you get better gains with FI. Yes, it does make more power per dollar. BUT, you DO have to spend MORE dollars to get there and imo, get there safely.

I see it on the track almost every time out. Someone in a Turbocharged this or that, can't handle it worth a ****. They putz around the turns, then all of a sudden ... 5 seconds down the striaght, they are pulling on me. Only to be braking waaay too early and never carrying the proper amount of speed on turn exit. Why? Because they can't handle the power.

So unless you are flat footed in your FI car, tossing it around corner to corner; I'd bet that the avg. person buying a Z, certainly cannot handle FI. Let alone the hp the car has stock.

It's a growing trend to Turbo/SC the Z. It's the Hot thing to do. Import car of the year this and that.. And now that Tokyo Drift has been seen by most street racers.. it'll only get more popular.

It usually sounds like this every time:

"This car isn't fast enough.. I need more power!"

Translation: "I'm not fast enough with this car, I better add more power to hide my poor driving skills."

Again, I'm not saying EVERYONE is like this and no body can handle the power. I just doubt that even 1% of those people need or use it to it's potential.

To summarize. If you don't have loads of money to spend. Stay away from your FI "project".

:soapbox: over.

:shiftdrive:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
:rolf2: Awesome writeup, Chris. Well said. That makes a lot of sense for road course applications. Of course, the Japanese are pretty good at driving those FI machines around the track, as are other professional drivers who have a team budget and loads of experience.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
:rolf2: Awesome writeup, Chris. Well said. That makes a lot of sense for road course applications. Of course, the Japanese are pretty good at driving those FI machines around the track, as are other professional drivers who have a team budget and loads of experience.

Not just for road course applications. In pretty much sums up everything from street driving to motorsports. It only gets worse on the street.

There are lots of people that are pretty good with those FI machines... But as you mention they are professional drivers. Who can handle the extra power. And here's the kicker... they NEED it. :)

I'm not siding against FI in general. I love it. I use it. Just not on this Z.

N

·
0 Posts
Not just for road course applications. In pretty much sums up everything from street driving to motorsports. It only gets worse on the street.

There are lots of people that are pretty good with those FI machines... But as you mention they are professional drivers. Who can handle the extra power. And here's the kicker... they NEED it. :)

I'm not siding against FI in general. I love it. I use it. Just not on this Z.

If one does not adapt their driving habits to leverage the new-found power, then yes.. it would be a waste of time. However, FI'ing a vehicle that I am already well acquainted with, including it's already inherent deficiencies, adaptation is not all that hard... IMHO if you learned the cars shortcomings when you were N/A it would make it easier to handle your new found FI power. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
IMHO if you learned the cars shortcomings when you were N/A it would make it easier to handle your new found FI power. :cheers:

I don't follow you. :helpsmilie: I'm not sure what you meant, but I am by no means saying that none of our members can handle FI.

Simply put; the avg. person that buys a Z, wants TT or T or SC right off the bat.. And haven't even learned what the car can do in it's current form.

Typical hiding of flaws with more power.

N

·
0 Posts
Simply put; the avg. person that buys a Z, wants TT or T or SC right off the bat.. And haven't even learned what the car can do in it's current form.
I agree with you 100%.....the point that I was trying to convey, was learn the car, learn the tendencies of the car, play with the setting on your coilovers and sways, set it to your driving style. Then when you go FI, it should make it easier for you harness the power and make good use of it.

I understand 100% what you are saying, that is the exact reason I did not go overboard on power, I wanted the car to be a good all around car, the HP I have gives you nice acceleration out of the corners, but not too much that would hinder you, or make you have to work really hard to keep the rear from getting away. FI is like alot of other vices done in moderation (of HP) it can be a fun.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
I agree with you 100%.....the point that I was trying to convey, was learn the car, learn the tendencies of the car, play with the setting on your coilovers and sways, set it to your driving style. Then when you go FI, it should make it easier for you harness the power and make good use of it.

I understand 100% what you are saying, that is the exact reason I did not go overboard on power, I wanted the car to be a good all around car, the HP I have gives you nice acceleration out of the corners, but not too much that would hinder you, or make you have to work really hard to keep the rear from getting away. FI is like alot of other vices done in moderation (of HP) it can be a fun.

:cheers: I understand what you said now.

welcome back

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
:banghead: I was at a local weekly meet last night and someone mentioned how they like the Stillen SC for the Z. Got me thinking...

·
Registered
756 Posts
hmm.. stillen.. hmm.. haha ok ya it is a nice setup and reliable i just dont like the available hoods and u need to replace the strut bar. personally i like f/i, depending of course. like what has been said, do not, i repeat do NOT do f/i without plenty of money to put into the car. it is one thing that i would never cut corners with or not do the proper way.. i feel sorry for any z with an owner that would do this.

the way that i think f/i should be done isnt necesarily the "right" way to do it but imo with a moderate to low boost s/c or something just to get a nice little boost on the low end torque and such paired with a nice clutch, flywheel, etc, the correct tuning, and a good suspension setup then u not only have a fun street car that is reliable but something that is impressive on a road course. personally i say screw the drag, if drag is what u want go for a big block chevy or something, u know those tanks of cars that dont turn but freaking launch

·
Premium Member
5,627 Posts
First, with that thread title, I had feared the worst. Glad to see this is actually a technical *car* conversation. :nana:

Well, let's see it. With all the talk about how one side is better than the other (based on personal preference), we should just do some data collection.

If you want to participate, do so with all honesty. For those that like NA and want to stay that way, vote NA. Same goes for FI, but you must have a FI car to vote that way.
Before I get into my thoughts on the topic, your poll is faulty. By the rules you invoke, the NA folks cannot vote FI since "you must have a FI car to vote that way". therefore if an NA person votes, they must vote NA. While an FI person can vote either NA or FI. Couple that with the fact there are probably 20 NA owners (or more) for every FI owner and you are setting up this poll for very skewed results. To be more accurate, you should have only those who can provide a valid basis for comparison between FI and NA vote and let those with NA only knowledge weigh in with their thoughts, but not vote.

Okay, poll issues aside, my .02 worth having driven an FI Z for 2.5yrs+ and having used it on the street, in the mountains, on road courses, and on the drag strip...

As others have alluded to, it all depends on what you want. FI is great for cost efficient power gains and can definitely be a blast to drive... but is it overkill? Can you have as much or more fun with NA? I think the answer is yes and no depending on what you want.

If you mainly want to toss around on the twisties and track days, I think staying NA is the best course to take (no pun intended). A fast car does not not make for a good driver, and a good driver is what it takes to be fast at the track. Unless you are tracking at least once a month, you probably fall under the veil of amateur track enthusiast and will be pressed to get 100% out of your mostly stock NA car, let alone a 400hp/400ftlb turbo monster. In fact, more power without adequate experience probably makes you more *unsafe* on the track or a mountain road. For me, I don't think having the additional power enhanced my track or mountain drive experiences, it just makes me work harder since I have to constantly adjust to maintain control. I think Matthew (Bini2) would second this. He has expressed several times his regret in going TT as it related to having a fun track car.

Now, if you mainly want to drag race your car and you don't care about the twisties... grab all the power you can, but make sure you also upgrade your clutch and your differential. Oh, and be sure to invest in some drag tires. Of course, my opinion is if you want a drag car you should have bought something other than a Z anyway. If this is the course you want, TT is the best option... lots of power and lots of torque makes for fast 1/4 miles times when you learn how to hook up all that power.

Now, if your the average Joe, you probably want a car that is fun to drive all the time and that you may occasionally throw on a track. To this end, and I am biased, I think a centrifugal supercharger is the way to go. it pumps out lots of fun power for when you want to show off or go fast in a straight line, BUT it is also mostly manageable on the track because the power gain is linear. At low RPMs it responds a lot like an NA car, unlike a Turbo which builds a lot of torque early. Its not until you hit high RPMs that you get gobs of power and then for only short bursts. In my car, typically 4500-6500rpm is very strong... the rest of the time it feels only a little stronger than an NA car. And I think this is easily demonstrated as when I 'race' with an NA car, often they will hang with me for a few seconds but once the power band is hit I easily pull away.

No matter what, I think anything over 400hp (this includes me and my car) is a waste unless you are an exceptional driver. If you need a power fix, add FI, but expect to have to adjust your driving technique a lot for tight twisty driving. If you want a fun car to throw around, keep it NA and tweak the suspension OR buy a dedicated track car like a Miata or Datsun Roadster (sounds goofy, but I bet you have more fun throwing one of those easily around than trying to manhandle your 300hp or 400+hp FI Z around the track.

Sorry, this by no means answers the question, just my thoughts.

Oh, and for the record, I did not vote in the poll. I like FI over NA, but if I did it again, I'd save my FI money and drop a few extra dollars to have a dedicated track car.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
First, with that thread title, I had feared the worst. Glad to see this is actually a technical *car* conversation. :nana:
Glad to hear that.

Before I get into my thoughts on the topic, your poll is faulty. By the rules you invoke, the NA folks cannot vote FI since "you must have a FI car to vote that way". therefore if an NA person votes, they must vote NA. While an FI person can vote either NA or FI. Couple that with the fact there are probably 20 NA owners (or more) for every FI owner and you are setting up this poll for very skewed results. To be more accurate, you should have only those who can provide a valid basis for comparison between FI and NA vote and let those with NA only knowledge weigh in with their thoughts, but not vote.
:nana: NA folks shouldn't be voting FI. It's meant for people who like NA and want to stay that way or vice versa. In reality, if either 'camp' would rather be the other, then they shouldn't vote but add comments or enjoy the posts. :dunno:

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Glad to hear that.
:nana: NA folks shouldn't be voting FI. It's meant for people who like NA and want to stay that way or vice versa. In reality, if either 'camp' would rather be the other, then they shouldn't vote but add comments or enjoy the posts. :dunno:
+1...I'm waiting until Saturday to vote : )

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
400whp is my goal. I like to turn . . . . apexing is fun. Which is why I am waiting for a-certain-centrifugal-supercharger . . . . ONLY IF HE WOULD HURRY HIS ASS UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!

RAWR!!!

:D

J/K

Keep up the good work man . . . . you know where to find me if you want a test car someone for the first wave of customers.

Peace

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
400whp is my goal. I like to turn . . . . apexing is fun. Which is why I am waiting for a-certain-centrifugal-supercharger . . . . ONLY IF HE WOULD HURRY HIS ASS UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!

gee.. I wonder who you could be talking about. :)

Let's hope his focus isn't swayed to a certain GT-R.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
BOOSTED!!!!!!!!!

...man I've been waiting a long time for that...

21 - 40 of 128 Posts