Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I donno about you guys, but I hate it when other people driving wimpy Civics or Ford Focuses with huge exhausts try and beat a Z. I also can't stand when you are at a stop sign or something and another one of the aforementioned cars sitting across the intersection decides to rev the engine and go as fast as possible past you...I'm not even going in the same direction! Do they hope to prove that their car is some how superior? I just don't understand the logic I guess. If they really want me to turn around, close on them fast, and show them who is boss, I guess I should!

But, I did have a fun time messing with a "tuned" Ford Focus hatchback the other day. This guy's car had plenty of "Turbo" and "Joe Blow's Tune Shop" (I really didnt recognize the name of the place where he got it "tuned," if he did at all) stickers. Anyways, we were going about 35 in a 30 when I pulled up next to him in the left lane...I wasn't even looking to run or anything since it was a Focus, after all. But, I see the guy check his mirrors about 4 times before I rolled up, so I figured he was curios. Anyways, as I pull even he gives his best rev and pulls away. at about 55 mph...I follow suit and close fast (went from 10 car lengths to about 1 in 3 seconds). Unfortunately, I reached the turn I was looking for and was unable to go any further, otherwise I would have just owned him. But, I was wondering how many other people get annoyed when people burn out or pull away just to do it in front of a Z...I was turning and he was in the far right lane two lanes to my right...needless to say he felt the urge to "burn" whatever rubber he had. But, I am sure I will see him again.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Its funny to see people out on the highway that just have to be alongside the Z or always feel like they have to race our car to try and show off. For me personally, I laugh everytime because I know for one it is a waste of time unless you are feeling like it and two it will always happen so sometimes it is just better to let them go. But yea it does happen alot.

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
i think a lot of z owners do the same thing and think they're the **** because they own a z. whenever i used to drive the z (before i sold it)...i would get people trying to do the same thing (in any car...civic, accord, minivan, old wagons, etc). but, then again...i can be driving the 4runner and get people to do the same thing (someone did it to me in an accord the other day). it happened more in the z...but, it even happens when i used to drive my old civic. i think people are stupid in general. haha.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Okay - here's an example. Wifey and I were out in her station wagon - Volvo station wagon (not the R). Stoplight. Up pulls a F-150 Lightening. (Sweet - all white) Just for giggles, I power brake a bit and look over. He smiles. Green light - he lets it rip! Man - that truck hauled some AZZ. Not sure how we'd have made out with the Z - but he was a good sport. :cheers:

·
Registered
798 Posts
I feel your annoyance!!! It happens to me all the time. As a previous civic owner I used to think I was the **** all the time trying to take on any car I thought was fast just to prove my car was equal or more. But when I got the z I now know different. I dont even waste my time with the civics or any other car that I think is below the z. I do give in every once in a while though since I hardly drive the z anymore and want to feel that rush of high speeds and think of the reasons why I got the z. :irock:

·
Registered
467 Posts
For me, if I see a sweet car and I just want to hear how incredible it sounds, I'll mess with it to see if it'll take off. Doesn't matter what vehicle I'm in...maybe that's what these other people are doing: just appreciating a great car.

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
Ricer fly-bys are hilarious, I bust out laughing every time I hear the fart can go flying by as im braking. The majority of the time when a civic revs on me I just laugh, or I act like im gonna run him and then just drive normally, its just not worth burning the gas. Every once in a while though I give in and show them the 3.5.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
What they hate worst of all is being ignored.

What I hate is being 'noticed'.

Comes with the territory, though, & as I've said in other posts, I didn't buy this car just because it's fast.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
What I like to do is take of at 1/2 or 3/4 throttle and wind it out a little to decieve them that i'm giving it all i got.
then i push the pedal to the floor and do a fly by.

You know let them thing that u r barley faster and then nail it.

easy to fool people in a 6 speed.

watch out though some of these civics are really fast. there are numerous 11-13 sec civics that roam the streets where i live and iv'e ben smoked a few times, but only by guys that have put 10-12 g's into there cars.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Yesterday I saw something cool: A Civic LX Si-R. Yes, a super rare LX Si-R.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I used to blow past them in my wifes A4 (trade-in). Now i don't pay attention to them, that seems to pi$$ them off. :rolf2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts