Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure I've seen some comparison of aftermarket exhaust weight but can't find them anymore. Would anyone have a link to some useful information on it?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
James

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
James i wouldnt bother with the weight comparos, nor would i choose an exhaust because its x kg lighter than another

shaving 3-4kgs at the bottom rear of the car will have absolutely zero effect on handling. Remove half a kg from the roof if u really want to feel an improvement in handling

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Heh ... there just MIGHT be a diff reason for getting lighter components. I was chatting with Toykilla yesterday after he started posting his Exhasut Install Tutorial. He talks about "... After pushing, pulling, screaming, cussing and other things .." .. of course THAT was just getting the stock exhaust off. After all that .. I guess a lighter system would be welcome (or.. don't do the entire thing by yourself like Toykilla did .. get a friend to help!)

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
From what I rememeber, there's a fair bit of weight to be saved by replacing the exhaust as the OEM one is pretty heavy. If I remember correctly, BM have listed the OEM exhaust at closr to 40kg. They also listed the Titanium Amuze exhaust at around 9kg.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
There is significant weight to be saved from the stock exhaust. And quite honestly none of the exhaust systems on the market really offer much power and all are about the same performance wise. So choosing the lightest exhaust (that sounds good) is probably the best thing to do if you have the cash.

The Y-back titanium exhausts weigh in about 4-10 lbs. The stock is around 40 not counting the y pipe. There is very few titanium systems that replace the y pipe. The only one I know of is HKS, and it is so much money that I didnt bother even looking into it.

Get this. Stillen dual exhaust is actually heavier than the stock exhaust. So any potential power gains from it are countered by the additional weight.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
James i wouldnt bother with the weight comparos, nor would i choose an exhaust because its x kg lighter than another

shaving 3-4kgs at the bottom rear of the car will have absolutely zero effect on handling. Remove half a kg from the roof if u really want to feel an improvement in handling
What are you basing your comments on?

There is alot of weight to saved be replacing the stock exhaust with a lighter weight item ~30kgs+.

Also the differences in weight between exhaust systems are huge, weight is a very good reason to pick one over another. One could save you 30kgs while another could make you gain 10kgs, that would be a 40kg weight difference between the two.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
What are you basing your comments on?

There is alot of weight to saved be replacing the stock exhaust with a lighter weight item ~30kgs+.

Also the differences in weight between exhaust systems are huge, weight is a very good reason to pick one over another. One could save you 30kgs while another could make you gain 10kgs, that would be a 40kg weight difference between the two.
let me clarify then

im not comparing stock to aftermarket, but aftermarket to aftermarket

most aftermarket exhausts are already a fair bit lighter than the stock item. The difference bw them is only going to be under 10kg, and i doubt that difference is worth paying twice as much or worth getting a chubby over thinking it will improve handling. Id get a boner over a 1kg lighter roof though

·
Registered
889 Posts
If you stick with a NA then go with the lightest possible. If you go Fi who gives a f%^k as you will have more power then you will know what to do with.

My 2c ex GST

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
In the last sentence of my post I compare aftermarket exhaust to aftermarket ending up with a larger difference possible then comparing stock to aftermarket.

Even if we ignore the Titanium exhausts a huge difference still exists, with the stainless HiTech saving something like ~25kgs and the APS stainless exhaust gaining weight, even if it only gained ~5kg that’s a possible ~30kg difference between two exhausts in a similar price range putting out similar power while in NA form. It’s the same with some US made exhausts and some Japanese made stainless exhausts.

I can’t think how we will be able to loose any weight off the roof but there is a lot to lose by getting a lighter exhaust. Of course you still need to cosider everything else when making your choice as weight isnt the only factor.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
ok fair enough, but can you seriously say that you will FEEL an improvement in handling by shaving 20kg off the rear of the car? unless of course you're an F1 driver with scalpel driving skills and frequent race tracks.......im talking on the road

i noticed sweet f.a difference with my stereo installed, nor with spacers on the rear wheels or the Fuji exhaust

if it were a 900kg Elise, then id say yeah ill believe 20kg will make a difference

sorry guys for harping on this, but i just see this weight saving marketing pure wank factor for road cars

end rant :)

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Feeling the difference with any mod depends alot on the individual.

I doubt most can feel half the power mods they've done. Some mods say they give a 5hp gain? Can you feel 5hp into 240hp? Thats a 2% increase in power. If you take 28kgs from 1400kgs thats a 2% reduction in weight. But the 2% reduction in weight doesnt just make you accelerate quicker, it also makes you stop and turn quicker. So if one exhaust gives you 20hp and weighs the same as stock while the other gives you 20hp and is 28kgs lighter then your car may its potentially accelerate better than a car with a 25hp exhaust. By itself you might not notice it but its still a good thing to consider as it will eventually give you a better all round car.

If you want to notice any mod you need to do enough of it, so you would need to consider doing a few weight saving measures together. Same with power mods.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
My 2c ex GST
Rizk - first the "sports bra" now this - you're cracking me up :rolf2:
You'd better consider posting your ABN if you're not charging GST, otherwise I'll have to withhold 47.5%. I'm going to get richer 1c at a time from your posts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts