Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice my left exhaust tip is hanging lower than my right one, is this normal? Before I installed my Nismo the stock ones looked the same, is there a way to fix it? or should I just leave as is?

Ed.

·
Registered
728 Posts
pull down on the on the right tip a bit. if that doesn't solve it, get the car up in the air and loosen the connecting flanges, and see if the muffler section had stress on causing it to sit at an angle and then retighten

·
Registered
146 Posts
This may not be related, but I was on a Nissan dealer lot on Sunday looking at some Z's and I noticed that on 4 of the 5 I looked at (2003, 2004, and 2005 models per the window stickers) the left exhaust tip hung slightly lower than the right tip. I may not have noticed it if I wasn't a stickler for that type of detail (I struggled to get the magnaflow exhaust tips even on my mazda6), but I did notice it and it would be one of my first modifications if I buy the car!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have the same issue....but a slightly different scenario. My left exhaust tip seems to stick 1 inch "farther out" past the rear bumper than does the right. I told the dealership about this the day I bought the car, but I was told they would have to take the entire exhaust system off to see what the problem was.

I hope that someone has a quick fix to this. Has Nissan said anything about this problem? Any recalls or anything of that nature?

·
Registered
232 Posts
pull down on the on the right tip a bit. if that doesn't solve it, get the car up in the air and loosen the connecting flanges, and see if the muffler section had stress on causing it to sit at an angle and then retighten
This usually solves it....another thing is to check the rubber hangers, sometimes they have premature fatigue and tend to sag.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have the same issue....but a slightly different scenario. My left exhaust tip seems to stick 1 inch "farther out" past the rear bumper than does the right. I told the dealership about this the day I bought the car, but I was told they would have to take the entire exhaust system off to see what the problem was.

I hope that someone has a quick fix to this. Has Nissan said anything about this problem? Any recalls or anything of that nature?

I am reading these posts in amazement. We have some very anal owners here. You all realize the exhaust is held up by rubber hangers that can move and shift and that the exhaust can sit an infinite amount of ways based on the way the flanges were tightened?

This is not a problem, not a cause for a recall or even a TSB. it is just a situation. Like I posted above, just attempt to push the exhaust in, in the direction you feel it needs to be corrected. If that doesn't solve it, just loosen the flange bolts up and let the exhaust situate itself and retighten

·
Registered
360 Posts
I didn't post on this thread because I am incredibley worried about my exhaust being 1 inch farther out. It was just something I noticed the day I bought my Z, and have subsequently noticed on other Z's in my area. Given that, I thought a dealership or Nissan itself may have addressed this issue/circumstance/technicality of the car.

Since this is my first major investment in a vehicle, I am going to be concerned about miniscule things like this...it's not a matter of being anal, but rather asking questions or wondering about things I do not have expertise on. I have no access to a lift or to tools to remedy the situation, so I personally would have no way to fix it outside of using my own hands. I am also not an expert on how the Z exhaust is mounted or how it could be adjusted. I guess my underlying thought would be to consider this before assuming that myself or others would know about critical aspects of the exhaust. But thanks for your input on how to adjust it...I will keep that in consideration for future alterations.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Matt noticed mine the other day. One was a little bit further out than the other.

Weird thing... next morning, went outside, they were magically aligned. Spooky.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts