Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HAs any one come up with the reason for the nasty tinny sound between 2,500 and 3,500 rpm's ? Seems like the only guys that dont have it after installing cats and exhaust are the ones running the Borla exhaust Im running headers , RT cats, Stillen dual exhaust .I dont want to start changing things with out some assurance that its going to get rid of that dam tinny sound...ANY HELP ?

·
Premium Member
5,137 Posts
only time i ever heard of wierd sounds coming from the exaust system is from a bad flex joint. Damaged or cheaply made ones give a rasp when the car is revved. Not quite sure what to make of this though

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I dont think....Headers, RT cats, and Stillen exhaust are cheaply made .Like I said the only ones that havent complained about it are the ones running cat and Borla exhaust

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
I have the RT's and they get raspy around the 3500-5000 range. Thinking about selling them and going with resonated test pipes.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats what I thought about doing also . But several people said they still have the tinny rasp after getting rid of there cats .I also thought of hollowing out the RT's

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Originally posted by booger@May 31 2004, 06:30 AM
Thats what I thought about doing also . But several people said they still have the tinny rasp after getting rid of there cats .I also thought of hollowing out the RT's

I have also thought about doing this too with mine. They would just be a very expensive pair of test pipes.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You are just hearing more than before before the factory manifolds and cats are double walled. We have installed many sets of Borla headers, straight pipes, and even the XERD full length headers on my car and the all have the tinny, raspy sound when accelerating and decelerating... It is one thing you will have to live with if you want to change them... I will be on the dyno today or tomorrow to see what kind of power we made by adding the XERD headers....
Jason
MRC Motorsports

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to let every one know . My RT cats collapsed as is alot of guys running them .If your running headers they more than likely will fail .I called Stillen and they wanted me to send them back to them and they would send them to RT . All this would take for ever. I called around the day I took them off but every one was out of cats or never got back to me so I gutted the RT's and put them back on .I wanted to put something else on and sell the RT's when I got them back .But it would mean the car would be down for 3 to 5 days. RT need to do something about the problem .Way to many are collapsing .It seems they want you to prove that its there fault they are no good .And when they do replace them they said they will not warrenty the new ones. thats bull. So the **** with RT

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
I am thinking about either gutting my RT's and making them a very expensive pair of test pipes or selling them and getting the kinetix resonated. I dont have headers or anything so there shouldnt be any kind of problem with them, just selling them anyway.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The sound is a little louder and a littlle deeper .They are still raspy .I hate that sound ...so sooner or later I will get pipes with resonators

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Originally posted by dank311@Jun 13 2004, 07:16 PM
Does anyone get a raspy sound with a TT and cats/test pipes?
Jon

With TT I believe you have to run test pipes not cats. I could be wrong though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts