Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i installed test pipes and kept the stock cat-back. very quickly, the exhaust tips got blackened. assuming that it was from the added heat, i just cleaned them with "mother's" as i always did with great results.
the tips would get black again within a day. my plan was to upgrade the muffler in the spring.
while washing the car recently, i noticed that i could wash off the black soot, and becasue of the weather had not gotten a chance to polish them. i didn't give it much thought, but after several days, the soot did not return.
so i figured that it was the Mother's polish burning. the higher temps must burn the polish residue, where before at regular temps it did not.
thinking what was really needed was for the tips to be cleaned completely, making sure there was no residue at all,and at my wifes suggestion, i tried "easy-off". i'll tell you what, it was the easiest cleaning of chrome i've ever done!!
apply (being careful not to get any on the paint), let it sit for 15-20 min, then rinse off. it came out perfect! mirror clean and gleaming!
and they have stayed perfectly clean with no burning at all.
Easy off should package that product for the pupose of cleaning exhuast tips, seriously,

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Awesome! Glad to see that you found something you like and works for you. If you wanted to take it a step further get some isopropyl alcohol and 0000 grade steel wool to clean the insides of the tips. Gets rid of all the built up junk for a perfectly clean tip.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Believe it or not, i used the easy off on the insides with the same results, although i have to think what you suggest would be closer to perfect. i'm going to try it first chance i get.

·
Registered
44 Posts
NeverDull. best stuff to use on anything shiny. rub on and wipe away. Rust, grease, carbon buildup. Gotten everything off my tips so far. Looks like you polished them after.

·
Registered
50 Posts
NeverDull. best stuff to use on anything shiny. rub on and wipe away. Rust, grease, carbon buildup. Gotten everything off my tips so far. Looks like you polished them after.
I love this stuff! I shine up my nismo tips every other week. Stuff works great :biggrin:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts