Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove an is300 and an exhaust, race pipe, and intake all made the car sound nice but there was no noticable power gain? Is it about the same thing on the Z? If not, what exhausts and intakes are most popular and yield the most gains?

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Most any car that's n/a , unless it has huge displacement or very restrictive equipment stock, isn't going to add that much power.

I love my exhaust, small gains but I shed 40lb with just the tail section. Which has contributed to me saving almost 150lb. total weight in the long run. And that I can feel.

Let alone the exhaust sounds incredible. Every where I go, people stop and stare. Maybe it's more than the exhaust. :)

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Originally posted by ayman350z@Sep 17 2005, 02:46 PM
yeah...its true
real gains will be with FI
unless is engine directs such as plenum, headers and so.....
[snapback]155863[/snapback]​

"engine directs" as you call them will still not make any significant power.

I picked up 25whp and 29ft. lb of torque from every modification that I have.

Intake
Exhaust
Plenum spacer
Headers
HF cats , y pipe
ECU flash

The most coming from the headers and ECU flash.

So if you are looking to pick up more, save up and go with some sort of Forced Induction. There are a TON of companies now that offer either a supercharger in various forms and single and twin turbo charging kits. Expect to spend $5000 and up for these.

Or you can make the car feel faster by going on a diet.

Or if you want to be different, add some nice brakes and suspension.. Handling is where Z shines in stock form. So you can compliment this easiest IMHO.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I having been doing a little bit of research at on ECU reflashes, at technosquare.
technosquare
The reflash L-spec or F-spec seem like they are what my 03 Z needs. Are the reflashes reliable? Do they last or do you have to keep reflashing the ECU b/c the car over rides the setting to the stock spec ECU?
Also, I remember reading that the 2005 or anniverary edition (7100 rpm redline)had slower track times than the 2003 (less hp, but more torque).
Any input would be helpful.

Thank-you :shiftdrive:

Originally posted by illz33+Sep 17 2005, 01:51 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-ayman350z
@Sep 17 2005, 02:46 PM
yeah...its true
real gains will be with FI
unless is engine directs such as plenum, headers and so.....
[snapback]155863[/snapback]​

"engine directs" as you call them will still not make any significant power.

I picked up 25whp and 29ft. lb of torque from every modification that I have.

Intake
Exhaust
Plenum spacer
Headers
HF cats , y pipe
ECU flash

The most coming from the headers and ECU flash.

So if you are looking to pick up more, save up and go with some sort of Forced Induction. There are a TON of companies now that offer either a supercharger in various forms and single and twin turbo charging kits. Expect to spend $5000 and up for these.

Or you can make the car feel faster by going on a diet.

Or if you want to be different, add some nice brakes and suspension.. Handling is where Z shines in stock form. So you can compliment this easiest IMHO.
[snapback]155865[/snapback]​

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I found a place in the Chicagoland area so I think I will give them a call and see if I can bring my car in for the reflash. I'm hoping that they can do it while I wait b/c my Z is my only mode of transportation.
Originally posted by illz33@Sep 17 2005, 02:46 PM
on a personal note... I don't like mail order ecu flashes.. Just doesn't sit with me..  How can you tune with the car not there?
[snapback]155873[/snapback]​

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Originally posted by Hue+Sep 17 2005, 03:53 PM-->
Thanks for the advice.  I found a place in the Chicagoland area so I think I will give them a call and see if I can bring my car in for the reflash.  I'm hoping that they can do it while I wait b/c my Z is my only mode of transportation.
<!--QuoteBegin-illz33
@Sep 17 2005, 02:46 PM
on a personal note... I don't like mail order ecu flashes.. Just doesn't sit with me..  How can you tune with the car not there?
[snapback]155873[/snapback]​

[snapback]155877[/snapback]​

Sweet. Rock on. The ECU flash does help, don't misunderstand me and think all N/A mods are a waste.. (just most.) :)

They will be able to do it the same day unless they are swamped..

Should get at LEAST 5 pulls in on the dyno for them to SLOWLY tune.

Good luck! Let us know what happens.

Where in Chitown are you?? My friend lives there now and I was thinking about checking out the city.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
There is a guy named Tuan from that area.. Very good tuner..

Check with the bigger parts/ tuning companies in your area.. I can't think of names off hand.. but maybe Shariff at Forged Internals or Fhunk at CJ Motorsports. (i guess i could think of names)

later.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Having been through entire 350Z N/A modifications (everything except the stroker kit), I would say the answer to the original questions is NO. Intake and exhaust are not a waste of $$$. They are simply the first logical mods in a quest for more power. The 350Z is an expensive car to mod, in contrast to say, the EVO, which is what I drive now. You can make more power in a 350Z without forced induction, but is going to cost you a pretty penny.

If I was going to mod a Z for more power now, I wouldn't go N/A. Depending on budget, I'd go supercharger or TT.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Originally posted by illz33@Sep 17 2005, 04:02 PM
There is a guy named Tuan from that area.. Very good tuner..

Check with the bigger parts/ tuning companies in your area.. I can't think of names off hand.. but maybe Shariff at Forged Internals or Fhunk at CJ Motorsports. (i guess i could think of names)

later.
[snapback]155882[/snapback]​

Funny you should say Tuan b/c that is the expert tuner I'm talking to on Mon. What Luck! The guy on the phone made it sound like you get 15 WHP, but said Master Tuan would give me better details. Sounds pretty good. I good use 15WHP.
I Realize FI and TT are the economical way to go for Hp and Torque, but the inital cost keeps me away from that option. There is no way I will save for that long while my Z gets nothing forever. I like the N/A option because you can peck away at hp on a budget and get the satisfaction of improving your power. I swear I feel like I'm eight years old and it's X-mas morning. My first mod was the JWT pop charger and then it started. The sound was great and I swear I felt the Hp, it didn't matter (psychologically it was there). Nismo Catback was next and now I thought I was one mean mother. I sounded and felt faster. A couple of weeks ago I purchased pulleys and noticed an increase in power (I recommend bigtime). Respect this! Last week, I bought the Kinetix plenum for $215 w/shipping from a cool guy on this site. The plenum is enroute. The anticipation is killing me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
def. not a waste of money. i went through 3 intakes and 2 exhausts as well as test pipes on stock exhaust. they are easy things to tweek and relatively inexpensive as well as being fun. whats better than hearing the performance of your car. i have a nismo intake for sale. better than new on car for less then 300 miles and not a mark scratch or even scuff on it. comes with all hardware and by-pass valve. pm me if interested.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts