Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to replace my Tilton Semi-Street clutch and flywheel and need some opinions. I am going to go with either the Exedy Hyper Carbon clutch/flywheel or the Jwt flywheel and Nismo clutch. I know exedy is nice for the carbon clutch and the Jwt/Nismo is one of the lighter combos in this area. I am looking at these for an EASY to drive daily clutch. Sick and tired of the pain in the @$$ tilton. thanks everyone.

·
Registered
230 Posts
[/quote]

I've got the Nismo/JWT combo, and it's great for daily driving. I was trying to decide between several combos, one being the Exedy but I was worried about daily driveability. I couldn't find any good reviews on other combos besides the Nismo/JWT so I went the safe route. I'm not disappointed with what I got but sometimes I think I wish I would have went with something a bit stronger for future mods.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand what you are saying. The JWT/Nismo is good for NA, the exedy will work for FI. But from what I understand, the JWT/Nismo combo is about 30 pounds, and For more holding power, there is the JWT clutch and flywheel which I beleive is 3 pounds more. The exedy is I think still a little heavier I think. But compared to the stock being 54 pounds, Lighter is still lighter. But not like my 16 pound Tilton.

·
Registered
182 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
[/quote]

If you intend to stay NA , I would recommend the ATS "single Carbon".
The dual would be "huge" over kill for ya.

·
Registered
56 Posts
[/quote]

If you intend to stay NA , I would recommend the ATS "single Carbon".
The dual would be "huge" over kill for ya.
<div align="right">[snapback]89342[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hmm , I don't see a single disk pro-spec in the ATS listing for the VQ35. They may still make one though?

·
Registered
288 Posts
[/quote]

I have the ATS Triple Plate Clutch/Flywheel Combo and know where your coming from, this clutch is great for the track and maybe street driving if you can put up with the noise and chatter, it drives like stock in regards to the pedal pressure and engages smoothly while not in stop go traffic but can be a bit grabby when hot ie in heavy stop go traffic. The main problem is the weight of this combo for daily driving or the lack of weight, it's too light great for track or high spirited driving. The chatter is the main problem for me, it's right in the daily driving rpm range for cruising around ie 2000 - 2500rpm in 4th 5th and 6th so unless you are above this or accelerating hard it causes chatter in this range, so on a light to medium thottle with the engine near or below this rpm range and on load ie: climbing a small hill, I have to drop it down a cog or two to bring the rpm above 2500rpm. You may think its a small price to pay for a high performance clutch but it does spoil the driving/cruising pleasure that the 350Z is (I don't drive like I've stolen it all the time). Anyway ATS has seen fit to fix this problem with a heavy flywheel option with it's weight closer to the stock flywheel's weight (4.4lbs lighter than stock) and will be available sometime in May 05 which I'll be trying before giving this setup the flick. If your keeping your power below 400whp then I think the Nismo or Jun flywheel with the JWT or ACT clutch is the way to go for a daily drive up to this power range plus I think above this power the Exedy carbon twin would be a better bet than the ATS, it's has dampen friction plates.

Cheers :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
42 Posts
ATS i've heard very good reviews.. nothing bad... tilton i heard had some good mostly bad because of daily driving issues... jwt and rps clutch has good reviews... is the tilton setup really that much of a pain in the ass to drive? i wanted to go with it but soooo many people i have negative things about the tilton driveability. i am probably going with the jwt and rps setup or maybe even the rps flywheel and clutch setup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts