Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a chat to my service guy at my dealer, and he told me the oil they use is Castrol Magnatec S 10-W30. I was wandering is that the case for all Z in AU, is that a Nissan stock oil, or does it vary from Dealer to Dealer. Also do any of you use different type of oil???

·
Registered
562 Posts
[/quote]

I run motul, since nismo pete uses this in his race car. I've seen his engine apart and it was very clean and it looked brand new. A lot of people in usa use mobil 1, but I've found it to be very noise at idle so I've switched. By the way, the recommended oil is 5W-30.

Here's an old thread you might want to read through.

http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3769

·
Registered
303 Posts
Same...motul serviced by Pete!

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I'm running Mobil 1 at the moment, as fitted by my dealer's service centre.

I am going to switch to Motul at the next service and give that stuff a go. Aside from the Pilkingtons running it in their GT-P car, the JGTC cars run Motul as well ;)

I'll probably visit ProConcept to have a look, since the car club I'm a member of has a good working relationship with the guys there. Although they're more familiar with 200SX's, they did do work on Mike Fitzgerald's Z33 too.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Royal Purple 5W-30. Works very well. :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
785 Posts
I heard canola oil is pretty good, but it may cause cancer in the long run!
I don't want the zed to suffer too much in the years to come.

HAHAHA
sorry just bored.....

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I also get my car serviced by Peter and he put Motul synthetic in just recently.
Please note that the Motul is probably no better than Mobil1 (and visa versa), its just that Peter and the JGTC Z33 are sponsored by Motul, hence they use this oil.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I was using mobil 1 5w/30 before..... it was really nice and the engine ran smoothly..... right now after the engine was built, they put in mobil 1 0w/40... cannot really feel much of the difference though... and I don't know why they didn't put in 5w/30...

cheers,

richie

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Has any1 used Castrol Synth R 5w/30 ??

Also do most of you change oil at dealer scheduled services (6 moths/10 000km) or do you do it every 5000Km ???

Also is any1 doing the work themself ?? How difficult is it to get to the release valve? Do you use jacks to lift the car up or have other way??

·
Registered
562 Posts
[/quote]

I do it myself since I like working on cars myself, the hardest part is getting the front diffuser off. Once you do that for the first time the rest is easy. I use a hydraulic jack to get the car up and leave it on 2 stands. After that it's easy.

EDIT: I change my oil every 10,000km since most of it are hwy km with a bit of city driving. I also might get a chance to push my car hard once every 2 weeks. If you go to http://bobistheoilguy.com you'll be surprised how long the modern oils last. If you are really worried and drive your car very hard and also drive short distances around city, I would change the oil filter every 5,000km and top up the oil.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I think Amsoil claims this (rightfully or wrong, it's up to you to decide), because their oil is 100% Ester base. For example redline and few others are only like 40-60% ester based. The only other oil which is 100% ester based are the Motul 300V oils, I use it in my car and i'm very happy with it. I'm not sure which one Peter uses in the car he services, Motul 8100 maybe? That oil is similar to redline that it's not 100% ester based.

By the way, Motul 300V isn't cheap. I got mine from Autobarn since Peter was away on his holiday, I'm going to see if he can get it for me next time I do my oil change.

·
Registered
80 Posts
FWIW I know of no oil that is truly 100% synthetic. With motor oils when something is labelled as a full synth it only refers to the base oil product. The DI additive package (which averages around 18% by weight) is always mixed in a mineral oil as there are many components that are only soluable in mineral oil. Therefore there's always some amount of mineral oil in these "full synthetics" unless they're using no additives in which case they're probably an inferior product anyway. Now having said that I haven't been in the industry for a few years so it's possible they've made some big leaps in the additives and can now use 100% synth base but I doubt it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Well, the oil filter that I use isn't probably every ones cup of tea and it isn't cheap either. I decided to get it after the idiots at ryde nissan quoted me $22 (or something like that) for the shitty oem filter.

This is what I use, it isn't cheap http://cmfilters.com/spin-on.cfm
You'll have to order it from USA if you want to use it. The replacment element costs under US$14, it's about AU$20 landed in australia. I got the 6 1/4 inch version which supposed to last 20,000km before it needs to be changed, the filter is about 2 and half times bigger then the OEM, it filter better down to 8micron (i'm not sure if it's pure marketing or not). It also has very high flow rate, big enough not to need a by pass, which means the oil is filtered all the time no matter what rpm the engine is running at.

Was it worth the extra cost? Well, after installing it my fuel economy went up a lot, lately i've been gunning my car around the city and trip meter is around 8km/l, before it would have been around 7.2 or 6.5. I think it has freed some hp, probably a bigger gain then the popcharger.

EDIT: I've forgot to mention that this filter is mostly used in race cars. There are some poeple who use it on http://bobistheoilguy.com and they are very happy with it. I've also seen the oil analysis of a guy who used it on and audi a4 turbo and it looked good.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"the filter is about 2 and half times bigger then the OEM"

So what is the OEM standard size??

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
[/quote]

Although I do work on my Z myself read: intake, exhaust etc....I buy my own oil and get a local to do the work, it's worth to me the $16 USD that I pay them to change it....no lift at home = tough oil change and not worth my time.....I'd rather pay someone the sixteen bucks than to go thru an hours worth of pain if ya know what I mean...and I change it btwn 3000 and 4000 miles just for peace of mind...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts