Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A reasonable indicator of engine condition/wear is the amount of oil used.

WHAT'S YOUR FIGURE?

I don't have a totally reliable figure as yet - but assuming that the service guys filled the thing right up last service,

I'm using 160ml/1000k.

FRIZZLE

·
Registered
303 Posts
Dunno! But i'm due for a service sson so i'll ask Peter how much I lost if any.

·
Registered
20 Posts
They seem to use a bit of oil. I use Mobil1 and change oil at around 8000 - 9000k's, and find that I am down close to the min mark on the dip-stick which is about a litre, so probably use around the same as you.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'm due for service in a month or so, I'll let you know then.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used a full quart during one moderate track day this past wekend. This was my fourth track event and I don't think I have pushed the car that hard. The car only has 28,000 miles and this is a little concerning!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mine was waaayy low last time I checked, 9000km after the last service. I actually had the oil indicator light come on, scared the bejeezus out of me.

I had it serviced since and Nissan put me on a 4000km check up to see what the consumption is during this period. I'm due to go back next week so I will add my stats then.

Jim

·
Registered
785 Posts
Will post my oil usage when I get the first 10K service. The amount of k's I'm doing, that won't be too long.
Any excuse to go for a blat???
What, the milk looks like it has just been opened, better go for a run to the shop before we run out........
Love the Zed

·
Registered
562 Posts
Any updates on how much oil you guys have used? I've changed my oil today and used Nulon oil flush, which I don't recommend because when I drained the oil it smelled like a strong solvent. Apparently Wynns oil flush is good and it uses detergents not solvents, I'm going to use that next time if I can find it.

Anyway, I've used Motul Chrono V300 10W-40 oil last time and after 10,000km I drained 4l (that excludes the 300ml of the Nulon flush), so that's 700ml per 10,000km. This time around I've used the new double ester version (the previous one was the older single ester version) of Motul Power Racing V300 5W-30, I think it will use more of it since it's a thinner oil. Also I've poured in 5.2l of oil this time, since I've used a lot bigger oil filter.

As for my first impression of the oil, well the engine runs a lot quiet and smoother during idle (and the previous one was quieter then Mobile 1) and it revs up a lot quicker. I've also took it for a quick spin around my neighbourhood and while cursing at 80km/h on a mostly flat stretch of road with couple of small hills I got a fuel economy of 16.4km/l which is around 6l/100km. That's over 20km distance by the way. So I've to say that the bigger more free flowing oil filter and this oil frees up a bit of power. By the way, before I could never get better fuel economy then 13.8 on that stretch of road.

That's it for my unscientific test. By the way, now my oil pressure is around 2.5 at idle when the engine is hot and it's been running for a while, before it was around 3.2-3.5 I think. It's quiet hard to get an acurate reading with our oil guage.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I had my car oil change at 5K but forgot to ask Nismopete how much came out. I doubt I am using too much oil though, 5K just not enough.
I am planning on changing oil at every 5K anyways!
Will try to pay attention next time to see if it is excessive!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Geez, Nuff - that's thin oil - will it be ok when stinkin' hot and under load?

wouldn't put that in me missus' sewing machine!

Just checked my level - 8000+ k and it's 5mm down from the full mark.

I use 10-50 mobil - "attributes of 10 in the cold and startup, 50 hot and on the noise" - what's wrong with that? (got 2 commodores 'way over 500,000k now and not a puff of smoke!

FROZZLER

·
Registered
562 Posts
5w-30 is the recommended oil for our cars, also this one is better then usual and it costs an arm and a leg in the first place. Here's the oil by the way, since they advertise 0% shear loss I would think that it's better then 10w-50. You also have to remember that our cars are designed with thin oil, they are not holdens or fords with pushrods. Also when I told Peter that I'm running 10w-40 in my car he said that it's way to think and I should be running 5w-30, so I've switched now. Also the our engine oil ducts (or whatever they are called) are not as big as in those old engines which would cause your engine to get less oil where it needs it.

One last thing, I've read the oil pressure guage wrong (like I've said it's quiet hard to read). It was around 1.7 before the oil change and now it's around 1.3 after the car has been driven for more then 30min.

EDIT: for everything that you ever wanted to know about oil this is the place to go http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm in the middle of some work with Nissan over my oil consumption. I commented on the last service (40k) that it was down to triggering the warning a few weeks before and I had to refill it with almost 3 litres. They put me on the 4k oil test and I took it back after 5k usage last weekend and had used 500ml in that time. The dip stick also ready just above the low marker prior to that.

Nissan have asked me to do the 4k test one more time (annoyingly) and my dealer has asked Nissan HQ what they should do if it comes back low again. I am hanging out to find out what the answer is. I doubt it will be anything that needs the engine opened up. Should be interesting.

They haven't made any comment on the Hi-Tech exhaust as yet, my gut tells me they will blame the kit and say my engine is running rich & hot and burning the oil as a result.

Jim

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds good, Nuff - they also make a range for bikes - I saw it at the bikeshop today.

$70 for a drum - same as the Mobil 1 synthetic for bikes.

FRIZZ

·
Registered
562 Posts
Is that the motorbike oil or car oil? And how big is the drum?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well I have been back to Nissan twice doing the grand 'Nissan oil consumption test'. I'm beginning to think this is the big waste-the-customers-time-so-he-gives-up routine. I've had two 4000 oil check ups and in both cases I was a 1.25 litres down on where it should be for that sort of distance.

I had the second one today, it confirmed the dealers findings but Nissan want me to do yet another 4000 test, thats three in total. They say that three is normal to confirm patterns.

Then they dropped the bombshell, "Oh BTW", the mechanic said, "Because you've been using M1 instead of Valvoline all the previous tests may be invalidated if Nissan say so".

WTF!!! Why didn't they tell me that the first time when they filled it up (at my request with M1) after the first test??? Jeez Louise, if I've wasted 8 months of testing because they neglected to inform me of the test parameters then I will be ropable.

So anyone else thinking of the oil usage test, ask about the fine print first.

On another matter, checked out one of the 35th Ann. Z's on the dealer floor. Nice looking 5 spoke 18'ers on the new model and a gear box that's as slick as sh*t, **** it all to ****, there goes my resale.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NUFF - heaps of apologies - didn't notice the post.

Answer - 5l. It's top of the tree racing oil. !00% synthetic, of course.

SUNDOG - they're jerking your chain. Although there's different parameters USA/AUS, basically if you're been using an accredited oil Tell 'em to suck their nose. Go to your consumer's association, or a lawyer or something.

BTW - how did you run the thing in?
(Pertinent thread elsewhere.)

FRIZZLE

NISSHIT:
:blah:

·
Registered
77 Posts
very interested in this thread, we are using around 4l per 5000klm, sounds like we need to talk to Nissan about an oil consumption test ;)

We do a fair few track days etc but this is still outrageous consumption, I bought a Nissan not a Holden v8

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Duncan - I read in another test that you were using 4L in 5000km. Now this is totaly rediculous oil consumption, so much so that when I first read your previous oil consumption post, I misunderstood it to mean that you changes 4L of oil every 5000km.
You seem to have a serious oil consumption problem that you should get Nissan to look at.
Also, how did you run in this motor - gentle or hard?

·
Registered
77 Posts
hard....

But yes it is time we got this looked at...we have just gone thru Nissan's oil from the 20,000klm service at 26,000 klm.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm with you Jim, go and sort that **** out. There's no way known you should be using that much oil,unless you have an LS2 in the Z????

As always

H

1 - 20 of 22 Posts