Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the discussion topic for the wiki article: <A HREF=http://350z-tech.com/zwiki/Engine_Modification_Guide_-_Naturally_Aspirated>Engine Modification Guide - Naturally Aspirated</A>

<iframe width="100%" height="600" src="http://350z-tech.com/w/index.php?title=Engine_Modification_Guide_-_Naturally_Aspirated&action=render"></iframe>

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am wanting to develop this guide into a solid reference for newcomers. It should list all NA mods broken down into stages based on need and cost, as well as explain what each mod does, what it may costs, etc...

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I don't know if those stages (or the mods therein) are something I can agree with. That's a huge jump to stage 2 from stage 1. Just my opinion.

Then again, I'm sure that there will always be a difference of opinions and personal experiences to base each stage.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
There's so much info it's hard to figure out where to start. I'll try to help out with some of your projects when I can Josh, you're doing a great job of getting them up on the Wiki.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
There's so much info it's hard to figure out where to start. I'll try to help out with some of your projects when I can Josh, you're doing a great job of getting them up on the Wiki.
True dat. The possibilities are endless, which is a good thing for us consumers.

Personally, I consider myself at Stage 1 if not a bit more due to my suspension and brake mods. All I need now is a catback exhaust system. I spent all weekend checking out single exhausts made of titanium. I just don't know how I'm going to pay for it.

Edit: I guess I should start by listing the mods and costs. Did you want us to do it in the wiki?

N

·
0 Posts
A couple of 300+ HP NA set ups
Yashio Factory 300.1 HP
Nismo Spec 2 Head, Camshafts, Titanium Valves, 0.7mm Head Gasket, Forged Pistons, H-Beam Connecting Rods, Rod Bearings, Crank Bearings, Sports Air Filter, Intake Pipe / Yashio Factory Exhaust Manifold, Muffler, ECU / Kouki Stock Intake Manifold (intake manifold off of the rev up engine) these mods produced 241whp with engine tuning, 50 extra horses with just the ECU tuning alone, to bring it up to 300.1HP

Nismo 340HP
NISMO Spec2 Cylinder Head, Spec 2 Camshafts, Titanium Valves, 0.7mm Head Gasket, Forged Pistons, H-beam Connecting Rods, Crankshaft, Main Bearings, Sport Air Filter, Suction Pipe, Prototype Throttle Body, Prototype Exhaust Manifold, Weldina Main Pipe + Stock OP Rear End, fuel pump, Prototype ECU / Anniversary Edition Intake Manifold

Tomei 350hp
NISMO Spec 2 Cylinder Head (Ported, Modified Combustion Chamber), Titanium Valves, 0.7mm Head Gaskets, Forged Pistons, Rod bearings, main bearings, Oil Pump, Sports Air Filter, S1 Spec Intake Pipe, Fuel Pump / Tomei Pro Camshafts, Valve Springs, H-beam Connecting Rods, Prototype Baffle Plate, Expreme Exhaust Manifold, ECU / RB25DET Stock Injectors / ARC High Capacity Oil Pan, Full Dual Super Titanium Silencer 370cc injectors were also added for safety and well as high lift cams to support the 13:1 compression ratio.

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The idea is to give a newbie a place to look and follow a guide. The more experience people probably already know what they want and/or need.

Exact pricing is taken care of throughout the wiki. My thoughts were to break it down into "flexible" stages or just some type of guidelines. Each could have further information such as:

Cold air intake
Cost range: XXX to XXX
Installation time: XX hours
What it is and why you would want it.
Expected gains: XX hp

Of course this is not an exact science, but it is a start and will help many of the same questions from appearing over and over.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Josh this is a great idea. Let me know how i can help. Ill fill in everything that i can for the exhaust that you dont pluss the coil overs the upper plenum the CAI and anything else

·
Premium Member
2,562 Posts
I don't know if I agree with everything in each "stage." Not everyone has the $$$ for certian parts. IE: Look how I gained 17whp from $800 of parts than went to an EMS and gained another 10 in the mid-range. I don't have a cat-back exhaust or after-market LSD. I also hate ECU flashes! I don't agree with them at all! Sorry you won't change my mind on them. I think new owners just need to do research and choose mods to what they are wanting & can afford for their car.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
From the look of it, its been done a couple times before. In Ninja's post Nismo and Tomei were both well over 300hp, and I think someone in that thread mentioned another person. However, this is an awesome build. Now the trick is to start doing it cheaper and easier. I think that Nismo and Tomei showed that new heads were pretty important, so I think the secret to mid 300hp may just be heads and a compression bump. Not exactly something everyone would be wild about, but I like the idea and I'm sure there are others out there that do as well.

As far as stages, I'd say go with:

Stage 1 - Intake ($150), headers($??), cat deletes (optional) ($??), exhaust($1000), and UTEC ($800) or similar. Won't give much power here, but probably will later on (Probably $2-3000)

Stage 2 - New heads ($2500) and cams ($1500), now we're starting to see some power (About $4000)

Stage 3 - High compression 12:1-15:1 built engine/ stroked engine($???). No idea what this would be putting down, probably 350 like Nismo and Tomei, but a stroker might be a nice power adder too. (Price is gonna be pretty high here

Just my $0.02, but stages 1 and 2 aren't rediculous, granted a supercharger for the same price will put out higher figures, but thats going to be a pretty solid engine at least I'd think. Labor might be higher for thie route as setting up the heads probably isn't as common or easy as setting up a supercharger or single turbo. I also have no idea what the power band would look like on this.

Pat

·
Registered
14 Posts
No offense, but stages aren't always the best unless there's a lot of activity going on. It may help to make stages according to price (ie, 1-1500, 2500, 5,000).

IMO you're much better off saving up the extra cash and buying a 2nd motor or taking the one you have out and doing a bottom-to-top build. You actually end up saving more money that way since you won't have to pull the motor a 2nd time to replace the pistons should you decide later on you wanted to add something but have conflicting parts. Something like what Ninja350z mentioned is sweet cuz you bang out everything in 1 shot.

Good write up. I can see you've put a lot of hard work into it and I appreciate it! Keep it up!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'll probably add an edit then.. :biggrin:

Ninja edit: Urhmmm.. says it's locked for modification. Am I an artard and just can't figure out how or is it locked down?

Pirate edit: Yeah it's locked. Weak sauce.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have spent thousands od $ on NA and I agree with many that they really just make it sound better.....hi flow cats or test pipes cheapest best mod in my book....intake plenum second....exhasut system....pop charger just made it sound cool at WOT.....exhaust didnt do much 'cept for the cats..intake gives nice mid range and up pull and growl.....

i will go TT and quit farting around..only ten grand for a TT/ ha! think again...10k for turbo only, then 10 more for lower end rebuil..heads brakes intsall etc..I figure 30-50 grand and the car can be bad with good brakes susoension etc....

my opinion only...and we all know everyone has one of those....

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't know if I agree with everything in each "stage." Not everyone has the $$$ for certian parts. IE: Look how I gained 17whp from $800 of parts than went to an EMS and gained another 10 in the mid-range. I don't have a cat-back exhaust or after-market LSD. I also hate ECU flashes! I don't agree with them at all! Sorry you won't change my mind on them. I think new owners just need to do research and choose mods to what they are wanting & can afford for their car.
+1 if you have all this money to go and build an NA car then just do FI its cheaper and you'll wee more gains for the price of all these NA mods to even hit 300whp you can buy a Vortech SC kit and be throwing down 340whp for cheaper do reaserch.... bottom line

1 - 20 of 32 Posts