Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
has anyone tried the greddy E-Manage ultimate. i have herd its good but i wantd to hear fom someone with a Z who had one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys new to the site, just wondering if any one has heard good or bad things about this site http://www.hopupracing.com/tuxsenmasyni.html looking to pick up the Utec for my Z. One question about the Utec can i find maps for my appilcation on this site or other sites, I will be running the Vortech kit along with Nismo exhuast. I talked to the owner of Turbo XS and he said he doesnt have any maps currently just for that application mostly turbo. You guys are proably wondering why dont i just take it to a shop and get it tuned, well i live in Alaska.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well all in all the most important thing to remember on any system is if it's eaisily tunable, and based on your location.. if anyone near by can tune it.

To the person above me, you could pull a data log by using an OpenECU type of system, although I am not sure if they have released Tactrix cables for the 350Z model. Basically, you plug a cord into your OBDII diagnostic port, hook the other end to a laptop, bring up the logging software.. and go for a drive/pull/whatever. It'll save as a file that will allow your tuner to view data from everything the stock ECU has to offer. The great thing about this is, if you find a tuner who is willing to make you some maps on your UTEC, you could send him your base datalogs, and he could send you the map, you could upload it.. drive and log.. send the data back... etc. It may seem complicated but living that far away from a tuner can present some problems. I know, I have an AWD car and we just got our first AWD dyno within 200miles this summer.

Anyhoo.. umm I decided I'd make a compendium of the available tuning software and some of the pros and cons on running them. Coming from the Subaru world, I had quite a few options available, so I've seen almost all that would be available on Nissan applications.

First up is the UTEC..

-Plug and Play
-Map switching on the fly
-9V power input for logging outside of vehicle (racing applications)
-Optional MAP sensor input. Allows for Speed Density air/fuel metering. Important for BOVs, high airflow etc.
-MAF Air metering under cruising loads, switches to Speed density under load (optional)
-250RPM resolution on Fuel and Ignition Timing.
-MAF signal modulation. Can fool the MAF to read +/- 50% it's realtime reading. Good for maxed out MAFs.
-Security Mode.. locks the ECU down making it impossible to jump/bump started.
-Rev-Limit Control
-Shift Light function
-Solenoid Drivers (Water, Meth, Alky, NOS, etc)
-Online Periodical Software Upgrades

Nice thing about the UTEC is it's speed density metering, which in a nut shell makes it possible (if needed) to run your stock MAF with a boosted application. The MAF sensor will read at off-idle/cruising applications and when you put the pedal down it will switch to Speed Density, allowing for high air-flow rates without pegging the 5v signal on the MAF, making tuning more accurate and there would be no needs for upgraded MAFs.. etc.

Also, switchable maps are nice. I was tuning boost in a friends Subaru with this option and it made driving around town quite a bit eaisier. I wasn't worried about looking like an ass boosting all over the place, I could tone it down through town as long as I switched below a specified RPM. Nice for bad fuels, race/street maps, or if you let your friend/chick/parent drive your car :headshake:

Next up.. Hasegawa, Kitagawa, and Sigma (HKS)'s FCON V Pro.

-Vehicle Specific Harness
-Lots of options (MAP, IAT, Mixture Controller, Twin Injector Driver etc..)
-Load sense can be MAF, MAP, Velocity, TPS
-Self Learning
-Can input any RPM to view
-Shiftlight Function
-Can be spliced with a viewer to read anything available (CTS, TPS, IAT, MAP, etc..) Less gauges!
-Integrated Knock sensor
-Lots more..

A great comprehensive tunable ECU, the FCON V Pro allows the user to not only program quite a few parameters quite quickly, but view them just as eaisily on a readout, which I think is awesome. As far as switchable maps on the fly.. to my knowledge no. However it does seem to be a more in depth tuning software program, which would make this great for build ups with no base maps available, or for those pushing the limits and need more options. It does not however support supplemental injection, so the drivers will have to be on a seperate unit, and then have those parameters logged into the FCON.

I'll continue with this when I have time I suppose, any owners can feel free to lend a couple of comments.

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
Hey guys new to the site, just wondering if any one has heard good or bad things about this site http://www.hopupracing.com/tuxsenmasyni.html looking to pick up the Utec for my Z. One question about the Utec can i find maps for my appilcation on this site or other sites, I will be running the Vortech kit along with Nismo exhuast. I talked to the owner of Turbo XS and he said he doesnt have any maps currently just for that application mostly turbo. You guys are proably wondering why dont i just take it to a shop and get it tuned, well i live in Alaska.
You can find starting maps on this site and others, but I wouldn't just load them up and go. They will need tweaking to your personal setup to be safe.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
:bump:

I'm sure there's more info that some of you guys can share if you recently added this type of mod to your Z in the last few months. I'm still interested in reading up on what everyone has to say.

·
Registered
86 Posts
is it difficult to scale injectors with the UTEC ?
there's the MPS LOGGER, a companion software for the UTEC :
http://www.mpsav.com/MPSUTECLogger/MPS_UTE...er_Download.htm
it really helps you out when tuning.

Oh and btw, i read tons of bad reviews concerning the greddy Emanage.
Almost all F/I ppl are switching to UTEC or FCON...

·
Registered
138 Posts
I don't know if anyone has been monitoring my progress on my ATI Procharger install, but I figured I'd post my "setup and impression" here since I'm finished.

The ATI kit is very responsive. The off-idle boost is really nice to have. There's about a 15rwhp (according to dynojet) jump at 4k rpm on mine which is pretty cool. It pulls hard all the way through the rpm range.

I threw out the Aeromotive FMU that comes with the kit, but kept the fuel pump. I wired a Split Second FTC1-034 (the one that comes with the Vortech supercharger kit) to it for fuel control. It was very astute in its ability to handle everything I needed it to as far as fuel and timing are concerned. I liked the interface in the software. It ranges from 0-8000 rpm in 500rpm intervals and -30 (vac) to +16 (boost) in very small, regular intervals. I think they were less than 1. This was in both maps. The startup fuel map sucked bad. My Z coughed up more black smoke that my gramma's emphazema (spelling?) ridden lungs. But we were able to tune that out of it very quickly. However, the startup timing map was alright. We of course changed it quite a bit to tune some hp into the equation, but we didn't hear a single knock on the dyno or since.

I've done alot of searching for fuel/timing controllers for this kit and this was the one I chose. It is extremely difficult to find information about it online; so if ANYONE wants to know something, just pm me and I'll be happy to help.

I'm gonna go for a drive...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just a few questions about the UTEC....Does it act as a boost controller? How big of injectors can the UTEC scale to?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't know if anyone has been monitoring my progress on my ATI Procharger install, but I figured I'd post my "setup and impression" here since I'm finished.

The ATI kit is very responsive. The off-idle boost is really nice to have. There's about a 15rwhp (according to dynojet) jump at 4k rpm on mine which is pretty cool. It pulls hard all the way through the rpm range.

I threw out the Aeromotive FMU that comes with the kit, but kept the fuel pump. I wired a Split Second FTC1-034 (the one that comes with the Vortech supercharger kit) to it for fuel control. It was very astute in its ability to handle everything I needed it to as far as fuel and timing are concerned. I liked the interface in the software. It ranges from 0-8000 rpm in 500rpm intervals and -30 (vac) to +16 (boost) in very small, regular intervals. I think they were less than 1. This was in both maps. The startup fuel map sucked bad. My Z coughed up more black smoke that my gramma's emphazema (spelling?) ridden lungs. But we were able to tune that out of it very quickly. However, the startup timing map was alright. We of course changed it quite a bit to tune some hp into the equation, but we didn't hear a single knock on the dyno or since.

I've done alot of searching for fuel/timing controllers for this kit and this was the one I chose. It is extremely difficult to find information about it online; so if ANYONE wants to know something, just pm me and I'll be happy to help.

I'm gonna go for a drive...
Good to know.Is there a knock sensor as part of the system ?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts