Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as subject states. I've got a project I want to try and make work, but I'd like some insight from anyone who may know a little more about electronics, power and switches before I get started. Post up a AIM screen name or let me know and I will drop a PM on what I want to do.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
785 Posts
I will try and help, shoot me a pm. For the record I am not a guru, but I have done a bit of electrical work.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You can reach me on aim at Aggiez45. I'm an electrical engineer and have done some electrical work and automotive wiring also.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys...

I am going to try and get some pictures together before I send out some text that may be a little difficult to visualize.

Thanks again. I am hoping this turns out to be a pretty neat idea.

Chris

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I decided to just post it out in the open, so I might get a better group.

Here is what I would like to do.

I just bought a reverse camera, and intend on hooking it up to my reverse lights, so that when I go in reverse and my reverse lights light up it provide power to the camera, the camera will turn on. However I would like to also have the ability to turn it on and off at will. Meaning, when I turn it "on" via the switch it'll turn on even though I'm not in reverse, and then when I shut it "off" via the switch it makes it so it's only on when the reverse lights come on.

How I would like to do this is to modify the Map Lamp Assembly and add a second switch from a additional Map Lamp Assembly that I purchased from a junked Z.

So... how do I do this?

I am an electronics newbie, so please feel free to modify this drawing (below) and show me where I should add fuses if any, and so on. I hope I've made it somewhat understandable.

Also, the camera pictured is the exact camera I have. It's got a 12V plug, do I just snip the end of it off and attach wire to it? What about a ground?

Thanks guys, I am just totally lost on how to even proceed.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am a electronic Technician in the U.S Coast guard but if anyone would like to add or change feel free:

First a ground for the camera should be necessary. Finding a place behind the rear bumper should be a place to attach one but make sure the metal is clean...(no Paint, dirt, grease) Then use an anti seize to cover it if you want this will help keep it working longer and will help protect from rain and humidity.

Now as far as a switch to manually give power to the camera and have it come on when in reverse....(PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD OR MODIFY) I would use a DVM (digital volt meter) in the fuse box and locate a fuse position that receives power once the IGNITION KEY IS TURNED....if you wire it to a fuse that is hot all the time I.E. Dome lights or Alarm....the camera will have a draw on the battery all the time. Once you find a fuse that turns on when the key is turned I would put a inline fuse not to big a 2a/250v fuse is MORE than enough get one that has the least amperage this will save the fuse that you are tapping into.

Next a switch you will want a single poll double throw switch (you can get these at any hardware store) on that simply turns on and off NO MIDDLE POSITION. A ground will also be needed for this. I would use the spot next to the VDC off button. There is a unused spot for a switch there for coupe models. And a ground can be found again very easily behind the dash panel. Any screw or bolt will work once again make sure its clean. Now you should have three wires hooked up to your switch one that comes from where you are feeding power from the fuse position, two: the ground, and three: the power wire that goes to the camera to give it power.

As far as hooking it up to your reverse relay I'm not too sure maybe someone else knows. I would check the fuse box and see if one position gets a voltage reading once the car is put into reverse if so you and that fuse position and add the switch as noted above.

Now the video line will go straight to the monitor in the dash. you will have to decide how you want to run all the wires but I would keep them together as much as possible. Keep it clean and easy to adjust or remove if needbe. Just my opinion Hope this helps.
Also...use soldier if you can it is stronger and more reliable than connectors...make sure you cover all connections wether they be soldier or crimp on connectors with electrical tape to keep from shorting the system out to the Z.

If I can answer any more questions or help I will PM, Email, or Post ill be in touch and good luck.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Coastie...

Thanks for the reply. Very thorough.

1: Camera Ground: Not sure how to ground the camera, because as you can see from the picture it only has a female plug and it seems to be only one wire, haven't snipped the end off to see if there is a pair of wires in that connector (hope you follow), so if there is no additional wire, should I buy a 12V power adapter for this camera and just use that? Also what is an "anti seize"?

2: The switch I intend to use is an extra switch, that is identical to the one currently in the Map Lamp Assembly. I would like to place it at the opposite end of the current switch, on the assembly. Power, I am probably going to be using the radio power source ("splicing" into that), since that is an ignition only power source, that sound OK?

3: Reverse lights power... I was just planning on "splicing" into the power for the reverse lights harness, instead of running wire all the way to the fuse block, but of course putting fuses where necessary. Will that work?

4: Clean, is the look I am going for, so all the above are wants, not needs. If they can't be achieved, I will do something else, but this is what I would like to try and accomplish.

Thanks again for your help. Any other input?
Chris

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Aloha,

About grounding the camera. either it's going to use the video ground (not the best, but I've seen some like that). Or the power connector has two wires. Anti-seize keeps threaded parts from binding (usually dis-similar(?) metals), but doesn't lubricate the parts, like when changing spark plugs.

Using the radio power should be okay, just make sure you put in an inline fuse. And the light switch should be okay.

You could tap into the reverse light harness. Shouldn't be a problem. Again, use an inline fuse. You still have to run power from the manual switch to the camera anyway. If the Z has a reverse light switch on the tranny, you migth be able to use that.

I can see one potential drawback. Hooking the power from the radio could cause your reverse lights to go on if the camera switch is left on. Don't know how the CAN and/or BCM would react either. I'll try to come up with a simple relay circuit or check aboout using a diode to eliminate these possible issues for you.

A Hui hou

PaulO

·
Registered
506 Posts

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
let me think this over..ill try to post a drawing sunday.. i have a crap load of school work to finish

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Aloha,
Got two options for you.

A Hui Hou

PaulO

forgot to add fuse to camera power lead on prefered diagram!!

Attachments

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the insight guys...

Anyone else?

I installed the camera yesterday, and hooked it directly to the reverse lights. Waiting to get a littl more comfortable with the relay option before I attemp the switch. Will have pics ASAP.

BTW, post up the ideas guys... the few that I have so far are great.

Thanks,
Chris

1 - 14 of 14 Posts