Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the ECU on the z's a flashable unit, as in I would only need to buy software to tune it, or would i have to buy a whole new computer to be able to do that?

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
You can send the ECU away for a reflash (google Technosquare). As far as getting your own software to modify it yourself, somethin like GReddy E-Manage is probably what your lookin for.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool so there is something out there to tune it myself. In the fbody comunity we had HP tuners and LS1 edit. Good to hear that there is something for the z too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went to their site, and they didnt have any prices up, do you know about how much they are talking, one of my buds has his own dynojet in his shop and I get all the free dyno time i can handle

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Originally posted by Rob@Sep 17 2005, 03:18 AM
Is the ECU on the z's a flashable unit, as in I would only need to buy software to tune it, or would i have to buy a whole new computer to be able to do that?
[snapback]155817[/snapback]​

Yes. You can't tune it on your own. Well, you can, but I think the equipment from Technosquare is around or higher than the price for a standalone.

Technosquare and AAM have reflashing services.

I'm a Mustang fan, and the import world tuning is definitely nothing like the domestic world tuning. (generally speaking)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats the only downside to jumping the fence, everything is different.

edit:spelling

·
Registered
138 Posts
I don't think there are any units to self tune the stock ECU. The GReddy unit takes over the ECU functions doesn't it? The stuff he's talking about is like those ads on TV, plug in, answer questions and go faster.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Originally posted by Rob+Sep 19 2005, 10:21 PM-->

edit:spelling
[snapback]156562[/snapback]​
I went from the 350Z world to the Mustang world. It's so much easier to tune a Mustang. :lol:

<!--QuoteBegin-Beer Goggles
@Sep 21 2005, 12:22 PM
I don't think there are any units to self tune the stock ECU. The GReddy unit takes over the ECU functions doesn't it? The stuff he's talking about is like those ads on TV, plug in, answer questions and go faster.
[snapback]157003[/snapback]​

He's talking about a handheld programmer. Technosquare and Altered Atmosphere have programmers, they just aren't anywhere near being handheld, and they can't make it handheld (from what TS has said all along, at least)

Both reflash the ECU to your settings.

The GReddy eManage and ultimate eManage are piggybacks (interceptor-style). They receive the signals from the stock ECU and manipulate them to whatever you set. Unichip is the same.

Standalones take complete control over the ECUs signals to the engine and it thinks it's still controlling it, AFAIK. HKS fcon vpro and MoTeC M600/M800 are the most popular. I'm not sure what the new UTEC is..

·
Registered
788 Posts
Originally posted by Nis350ZTT+Sep 21 2005, 12:05 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 19 2005, 10:21 PM

I went from the 350Z world to the Mustang world. It's so much easier to tune a Mustang. :lol:

He's talking about a handheld programmer. Technosquare and Altered Atmosphere have programmers, they just aren't anywhere near being handheld, and they can't make it handheld (from what TS has said all along, at least)

The GReddy eManage and ultimate eManage are piggybacks (interceptor-style). They receive the signals from the stock ECU and manipulate them to whatever you set. Unichip is the same.

Standalones take complete control over the ECUs signals to the engine and it thinks it's still controlling it, AFAIK. HKS fcon vpro and MoTeC M600/M800 are the most popular. I'm not sure what the new UTEC is..
[snapback]157019[/snapback]​
There is a Nissan hand held ECU client available -- it's around $3700. I don't know where you can order it, though. I used to, but that was around the time I got the car (2002).

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Originally posted by Conan+Sep 21 2005, 02:26 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 21 2005, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 19 2005, 10:21 PM

[snapback]157019[/snapback]​
There is a Nissan hand held ECU client available -- it's around $3700. I don't know where you can order it, though. I used to, but that was around the time I got the car (2002).
[snapback]157054[/snapback]​

Any more information on this? I've never heard of this. And 2002 seems highly unlikely, that was right around the time the car came out, which, cracking an ECU such as the 350Z's in 3-5 months is :OMG: .

·
Registered
187 Posts
Originally posted by Rob@Sep 19 2005, 12:40 AM
I went to their site, and they didnt have any prices up, do you know about how much they are talking, one of my buds has his own dynojet in his shop and I get all the free dyno time i can handle
[snapback]156208[/snapback]​

I recently called a shop to see about the ECU reflash. I informed them that I had gained most of my info at technosquare. Since my Z is my only mode of transportation I wanted to see if I could get it done locally. I called GRD in Naperville, IL. From what I gathered they put a piggyback system on the the original ECU for $750 and a dyno tune for $150. I questioned the price and they made it sound like it was a better fit if you bring the car into the shop, rather than mailing it in. All said and done it will cost around $1000-1200. I'm going to wait til I get a some hi flow cats because I'm a little sticker shocked.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Originally posted by Hue+Sep 21 2005, 05:59 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Rob
@Sep 19 2005, 12:40 AM
[snapback]156208[/snapback]​

I recently called a shop to see about the ECU reflash. I informed them that I had gained most of my info at technosquare. Since my Z is my only mode of transportation I wanted to see if I could get it done locally. I called GRD in Naperville, IL. From what I gathered they put a piggyback system on the the original ECU for $750 and a dyno tune for $150. I questioned the price and they made it sound like it was a better fit if you bring the car into the shop, rather than mailing it in. All said and done it will cost around $1000-1200. I'm going to wait til I get a some hi flow cats because I'm a little sticker shocked.
[snapback]157118[/snapback]​

They must be talking about the Unichip piggyback, in which case, $750 is a rip off IMHO. Well, you could squeeze more out if you brought it in (especially if Tuan is tuning, he is a perfectionist), but they have general tunes, I believe.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Originally posted by Nis350ZTT@Sep 21 2005, 04:47 PM
Any more information on this? I've never heard of this. And 2002 seems highly unlikely, that was right around the time the car came out, which, cracking an ECU such as the 350Z's in 3-5 months is :OMG: .
[snapback]157116[/snapback]​
The car hit showrooms in August, 2002. Note I said it was from Nissan, so this wasn't anything that "cracked" the ECU -- this was THE factory hand-held the techs used to adjust the ECU settings (timing, etc). That's why it was so outrageously priced.

Wish I could remember where I saw how to order one....not that I'd buy it. Easier (and more flexible) to get the GReddy e-manage system.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Originally posted by Conan+Sep 21 2005, 06:09 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Nis350ZTT
@Sep 21 2005, 04:47 PM
[snapback]157116[/snapback]​
The car hit showrooms in August, 2002. Note I said it was from Nissan, so this wasn't anything that "cracked" the ECU -- this was THE factory hand-held the techs used to adjust the ECU settings (timing, etc). That's why it was so outrageously priced.

Wish I could remember where I saw how to order one....not that I'd buy it. Easier (and more flexible) to get the GReddy e-manage system.
[snapback]157122[/snapback]​

Ahh...I believe that is not a fully functional piggyback. I believe they have a basic engine management equipment piece.

·
Registered
138 Posts
$1000-1200 is a rip for a reflash and piggy back. With my old Audi it was between $300 and $500 for a new chip and reflash. The difference you see in reflashing would probably make it the most expensive mod you can add for dollar per performance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just for reference I was not refering to a hand held, I was refering to a software I can load into my laptop that will alow me to adjust everything in the ecu.
see this LINK Basicaly you have a plug that goes from your usb port to the OBDII plug, and it allows complete editing capabilitys in real time with all the wave forms. Much better than a POS handheld.

It does sound as if this is flashable, but no one has developed the software or the hardware to do this cheaply. Well maby by the time I am ready to start doing serious mods, there will be one available. Thanks for the input everyone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts