Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
What type of wheel have you got?

If you were to spend big and get a set of lightweight, forged rims then your 19" ones may not weigh that much more than 17".

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yes - Touring 17" wheels will fit the Brembos.
Hi,

Last night I was defeated by a HSV Ute. It was at night so I couldn't notice what actual model it was.

Here was how the drag started. I was the lights, with TCS off. The ute was behind me. When the lights went green, I drove off in a relatively casual way. My revs were at 4000rpm in first gear and I noticed he was quite close to my rear end. So I then planted the foot and shited in second. I finished second gear and then shifted into third. As I was about to finish third gear he flew past me and I heard the most "weirdest" sound from his engine. It wasn't a turbo as there was no sounds that eminated twin turbos but it was definately not a typical modified V8 either. It actually sounded like a scary movie noise u get from the movies...a bit like whine!?!?!...

My guess is it was most likely a supercharged V8. It was definately not NA.

Whatever it was, it was quick.

So I decided to remove my spacers last night after that defeat. I noticed an improvement in my acceleration, though it will not be enough to beat that Ute.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Sounds like you were beaten by a supercharged V8. There are a lot of companies now offering superchargers for the LS1 from just $4000 (CAPA advertisement in wheels mag).
It sounds like he was playing with you so he could crush your emotions by flying by you in a high gear (probably once he assured himelf he would have sufficient traction to not spin his tyres).
Don't sweat this loss. If you are, then get yourself an APS TT and you can do to LS1's what he did to you last night.

·
Registered
293 Posts
My rule: NEVER ... EVER race a Commodore or Falcon. Reason: a few ago my mate in an S4 was driving down Monash Fwy... This guy pulled up right up his arse and was gunnign it, then pulled up next to him and they both gunned it to 180km/h ... at which point he switched on his siren and pulled over the S4. It was a black SS that sounded modded.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
This is correct never race Commonhores or Falcons, for that exact reason.

My mate in a VL had a car pull up next to him at the lights and a guy stick his head out the window and ask him what he had done to the car etc and reving his motor to race, he did this to my mate three lights in a row each time taking off at full throttle. My mate never raced him and he eventually drove off, 10 minutes later my mate drove past them and they had pulled someone over, so they were undercover cops.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Murray - there are some major scumbag cops that go around entrapping people near where I live too. (Before any American chimes in, entrapment is not illegal in Australia.)

Around the Hornsby area there's a Magna with "Mafia" tints, and it has a habit of tailgating people in sports cars and punching it from the lights.

With the tints that dark, you can't see the light bar on the rear parcel shelf nor the epatulettes on the shirts of the occupants.

Its also quite easy to screw power out of the LS1. Going for the LS1Edit "MAFless tune" (where they remove the MAF and put in a bigger diameter pipe, and just run the car on the MAP sensor with suitable ECU upgrades, along with a catback exhaust and CAI) sees some massive gains.

And with supercharger kits for half of the Z33's cost, its a lot easier to get your cheap-as-chips taxi pack SV8 to make big power.

If you want to demonstrate the superiority between a Z33 and a VZ, find a windy stretch of road or hit the track. You're not likely to beat them in a straight line.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a Sticky on top of the Australian Forum on" how does 350Z perform?" DavidM our technical advisor guy on Driving :irock: have tested on Various other high performance vehicle :)

It's interesting to read From the WRX to HSV LS2 :)

Cheers
Yun
My friend has a Z with a Diablo chip and he turned the timing up a little. Guess what? He spanked a 6.0 L Pontiac GTO!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So Commodores, Falcons, Magnas, Camarys or Monaros of ANY colour. There is a fluro orange Monaro in Canberra which the police drive around in.
Hi,

Thanks everyone for their inputs and kind concerns. Come to think of it, I am stupid to race that and fortunately that it wasn't a undercover cop.

Hmm...it definately has to be a Supercharged V8...as I had a similar race against a XR6 Turbo Ute. The same situation but the XR6 Turbo Ute could not close the distance between my rear end and the Ute's front end.

But back to the more important point and indeed I will definately bear in mind the issue of drags against Commodores and Falcons...much appreciated guys. :D

Cheers,
Bernie

21 - 30 of 30 Posts