Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Z owners,

I am a :newbie: to this Forum

I have been trying to find a Forum that caters for Z owners in Australia and was pleased to come across this Forum.

I own and drive a manual transmission 2004 Nissan 350Z. As you all can agree, it is a real pleasure to drive the 350Z (Z33). The car handles well, the torque spread is very user friendly and it has decent straight line acceleration. In addition, the car is a well designed. The only criticism that I have is that the car is relatively heavy which obviously hampers straight line acceleration and cornering abilities.

I have upgraded the entire exhaust system (except the headers/extractors). I have also upgraded the intake system. The car does "breathe" better across the mid to high end of the rev range. Whehter my acceleration times have improved is hard to notice given a relatively heavy vehicle.

I am striving to improve my acceleration times and understand the next best thing is to upgrade the ECU with a Piggy Back interceptor type unit. Unfortunately my bank balance does now allow for any form of forced induction or a full MOTEC M600 ECU replacement.

I understand APS are well known for the supply, installation and dyno-tuning of the Unichip Piggy Back ECU. I have been advised of a price of $1250 for supply, installation and dyno tuning (both pre and post fitment of the unit).

There are two reasons behind the decision to upgrade the factory ECU. They are as follows:

(1) To take advantage of the upgraded intake and exhaust system.
(2) To get more power/torque with a view to better acceleration times.

Some of you might be saying "why modify such a well rounded/packaged car from the Nissan factory?" or "if it aint broke, don't fix it". I can fully appreciate these comments but I strongly believe that there is always "room for improvement" in any factory spec vehicle without negatively affecting the overall driveability of the car.

I would appreciate any your advice/experiences (if any) regarding the matter I have raised above.

On a slightly different topic/note, I am always curious to know how well the 350Z performs in a straight line against other V6/straight line six powered vehicles or even V8 powered vehicles. Has any of you Z owners successfully surprised other V6/straight six and V8 powered vehicles who thought your car was "nothing but show"?

Look forward to your advice/response.

Cheers,
z33fairlady

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Yun,

That is one nice 350Z you have there!

You have a relatively extensive list of modifications. In particular I am interested in the following performance items you have fitted:

UR Pulley, TopFuel PowerNeo 1000, Unichip ECU

How these performance upgrades helped your performance? Where did you get these performance parts from and where did you get it fitted/tuned?

Thanks,
Z33Fairlady

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi David,

I should stop calling myself "Z33Fairlady". My actual name is Bernard (you can call me Bernie/Bern).

I am based in Melbourne (Victoria).

The reason behind extracting more power is I have had a fair share of losses at traffic light drags. To date, I have been beaten by the Ford XR6 Turbo, HSV ClubSport 255Kw/260Kw. These Australian cars are brutal in power delivery!!!

Anyway, I am not expecting miracles from just a UniChip.

Cheers,
Bernie.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by KY350@Sep 13 2005, 12:28 AM
You should be line ball with an XR6T, unless he's chipped.  I would expect similar from a 255kW HSV.  Did you manage to get a clean start off the line each time or was this a slow roll from the lights for 5km/h and then bury the throttle?
[snapback]154360[/snapback]​

Hi,

I think I know why my car has not been performing "at its best".

What I have forget to mention is that I have fitted a set of 19x8.5 (245/35/ZR19) and 19x9.5 (275/35/ZR19) wheels and tyres. These wheels are very heavy.

I have also added hub-centric spacers to make the wheels "sit out more/fill up the guards".

I have been reading that having heavy wheels, larger diameters and wheel spacers create "unsprung" weight. This means that launches and acceleration times are negative affected.

In the above regard, I am planning to put my original 17inch wheels (fitted to the Touring spec). However, my concern now is whether it will clear the Brembo brakes. Does anybody know of whether the Brembo brakes as fitted on the Track spec will accept 17inch wheels, specifically those fitted to the Touring spec.

Thanks and regards,
Bernie

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yes - Touring 17" wheels will fit the Brembos.
Hi,

Last night I was defeated by a HSV Ute. It was at night so I couldn't notice what actual model it was.

Here was how the drag started. I was the lights, with TCS off. The ute was behind me. When the lights went green, I drove off in a relatively casual way. My revs were at 4000rpm in first gear and I noticed he was quite close to my rear end. So I then planted the foot and shited in second. I finished second gear and then shifted into third. As I was about to finish third gear he flew past me and I heard the most "weirdest" sound from his engine. It wasn't a turbo as there was no sounds that eminated twin turbos but it was definately not a typical modified V8 either. It actually sounded like a scary movie noise u get from the movies...a bit like whine!?!?!...

My guess is it was most likely a supercharged V8. It was definately not NA.

Whatever it was, it was quick.

So I decided to remove my spacers last night after that defeat. I noticed an improvement in my acceleration, though it will not be enough to beat that Ute.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So Commodores, Falcons, Magnas, Camarys or Monaros of ANY colour. There is a fluro orange Monaro in Canberra which the police drive around in.
Hi,

Thanks everyone for their inputs and kind concerns. Come to think of it, I am stupid to race that and fortunately that it wasn't a undercover cop.

Hmm...it definately has to be a Supercharged V8...as I had a similar race against a XR6 Turbo Ute. The same situation but the XR6 Turbo Ute could not close the distance between my rear end and the Ute's front end.

But back to the more important point and indeed I will definately bear in mind the issue of drags against Commodores and Falcons...much appreciated guys. :D

Cheers,
Bernie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts