Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Z owners,

I am a :newbie: to this Forum

I have been trying to find a Forum that caters for Z owners in Australia and was pleased to come across this Forum.

I own and drive a manual transmission 2004 Nissan 350Z. As you all can agree, it is a real pleasure to drive the 350Z (Z33). The car handles well, the torque spread is very user friendly and it has decent straight line acceleration. In addition, the car is a well designed. The only criticism that I have is that the car is relatively heavy which obviously hampers straight line acceleration and cornering abilities.

I have upgraded the entire exhaust system (except the headers/extractors). I have also upgraded the intake system. The car does "breathe" better across the mid to high end of the rev range. Whehter my acceleration times have improved is hard to notice given a relatively heavy vehicle.

I am striving to improve my acceleration times and understand the next best thing is to upgrade the ECU with a Piggy Back interceptor type unit. Unfortunately my bank balance does now allow for any form of forced induction or a full MOTEC M600 ECU replacement.

I understand APS are well known for the supply, installation and dyno-tuning of the Unichip Piggy Back ECU. I have been advised of a price of $1250 for supply, installation and dyno tuning (both pre and post fitment of the unit).

There are two reasons behind the decision to upgrade the factory ECU. They are as follows:

(1) To take advantage of the upgraded intake and exhaust system.
(2) To get more power/torque with a view to better acceleration times.

Some of you might be saying "why modify such a well rounded/packaged car from the Nissan factory?" or "if it aint broke, don't fix it". I can fully appreciate these comments but I strongly believe that there is always "room for improvement" in any factory spec vehicle without negatively affecting the overall driveability of the car.

I would appreciate any your advice/experiences (if any) regarding the matter I have raised above.

On a slightly different topic/note, I am always curious to know how well the 350Z performs in a straight line against other V6/straight line six powered vehicles or even V8 powered vehicles. Has any of you Z owners successfully surprised other V6/straight six and V8 powered vehicles who thought your car was "nothing but show"?

Look forward to your advice/response.

Cheers,
z33fairlady

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
welcome to the board.... and I am sure unichip will perform what you need though... you should be able to feel the differences.... and the next stage will be TT from APS for ya I would say!

cheers and enjoy driving your z!

richie

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Originally posted by Z33Fairlady@Sep 11 2005, 08:21 PM

On a slightly different topic/note, I am always curious to know how well the 350Z performs in a straight line against other V6/straight line six powered vehicles or even V8 powered vehicles.  Has any of you Z owners successfully surprised other V6/straight six and V8 powered vehicles who thought your car was "nothing but show"?

[snapback]154309[/snapback]​

There is a Sticky on top of the Australian Forum on" how does 350Z perform?" DavidM our technical advisor guy on Driving :irock: have tested on Various other high performance vehicle :)

It's interesting to read From the WRX to HSV LS2 :)

Cheers
Yun

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Yun,

That is one nice 350Z you have there!

You have a relatively extensive list of modifications. In particular I am interested in the following performance items you have fitted:

UR Pulley, TopFuel PowerNeo 1000, Unichip ECU

How these performance upgrades helped your performance? Where did you get these performance parts from and where did you get it fitted/tuned?

Thanks,
Z33Fairlady

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
On a slightly different topic/note, I am always curious to know how well the 350Z performs in a straight line against other V6/straight line six powered vehicles or even V8 powered vehicles. Has any of you Z owners successfully surprised other V6/straight six and V8 powered vehicles who thought your car was "nothing but show"?

As Yun has mentioned - I have lined up a fair few cars and you can find the links here:

http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3598

Also here are the times that we have managed on the drag-strip. You should find a list of mods for each car/driver, but surprisingly the perfrormance numbers we've managed do not always reflect the mods. The driver seems to be the biggest 'variable' in each car:

http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/index.php?...topic=3027&st=0

ps. Welcome to the board. Where are you located?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Welcome Z33Fairlady - nothing wrong with getting a Unichip to maximise the power gains from various mods. If you keep the car long enough, eventually the fuel savings from a better calibrated ECU delivering a more efficient air / fuel mixture would pay for the chip.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi David,

I should stop calling myself "Z33Fairlady". My actual name is Bernard (you can call me Bernie/Bern).

I am based in Melbourne (Victoria).

The reason behind extracting more power is I have had a fair share of losses at traffic light drags. To date, I have been beaten by the Ford XR6 Turbo, HSV ClubSport 255Kw/260Kw. These Australian cars are brutal in power delivery!!!

Anyway, I am not expecting miracles from just a UniChip.

Cheers,
Bernie.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
You should be line ball with an XR6T, unless he's chipped. I would expect similar from a 255kW HSV. Did you manage to get a clean start off the line each time or was this a slow roll from the lights for 5km/h and then bury the throttle?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Hi benard'

As APS has claimed based on mine i have gain about 9 Rwkw. Ur Pulley is another way on getting a Responsiveness on the car.

Top Fuel power neo? I think i don't even felt much difference lol.

Because it's so minor. I doubt there is a gain about 1 rwkw or 2 :)

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
yun with the pulley, the revs rise quicker, but do the revs fall quicker in bw gears as well

i got my KJR pulley last thursday and am worried driving the car everyday will be annoying with the revs falling quickly, or is it not noticeable?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I should stop calling myself "Z33Fairlady". My actual name is Bernard (you can call me Bernie/Bern). I am based in Melbourne (Victoria).

Hi Bernie. There are a fair few of us here in Melbourne so it should be pretty easy for you to meet some of us. A fair few of us are going to Sandown in about 3 weeks and then to Calder Friday night drags about a month later. You should join us if you don't have any other plans.

The reason behind extracting more power is I have had a fair share of losses at traffic light drags. To date, I have been beaten by the Ford XR6 Turbo, HSV ClubSport 255Kw/260Kw. These Australian cars are brutal in power delivery!!!

My father has a 220kW HSV R8 (automatic) and I had a friend with an XR6 Turbo ... he did not keep it for long though. Anyway, I did not have much problem with the XR6-T but I think it was handicapped badly due to the warm temperatures. The HSV R8 is another story and beating that is not easy. Still, with a good lauch you shold beat it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Originally posted by TPIACE@Sep 13 2005, 12:34 AM
yun with the pulley, the revs rise quicker, but do the revs fall quicker in bw gears as well

i got my KJR pulley last thursday and am worried driving the car everyday will be annoying with the revs falling quickly, or is it not noticeable?
[snapback]154363[/snapback]​

That's what the right pedal is for, some people call it rev matching. In daily driving I'm annoyed that the revs don't fall fast enough.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Originally posted by TPIACE@Sep 12 2005, 07:34 AM

[snapback]154363[/snapback]​

Sam i don't think you should have much problem at all, to me the Pulley is not much noticable, compared to Flywheel as it's more noticable. One thing you must keep in mind the Effect between the Lightweight Pulley and Flywheels has only on the weight. but complete different feel on downshift or the rev falls quicker or easier to shift, etc.

I think the same with Nuff.
If the rev fall quicker it's easier to rev matching it by doing heel and toe ( Warning: Practice needed!) ;)

Cheers

·
Registered
125 Posts
Originally posted by Z33Fairlady@Sep 12 2005, 06:14 AM
Hi David,

I should stop calling myself "Z33Fairlady".  My actual name is Bernard (you can call me Bernie/Bern).

I am based in Melbourne (Victoria). 

The reason behind extracting more power is I have had a fair share of losses at traffic light drags.  To date, I have been beaten by the Ford XR6 Turbo, HSV ClubSport 255Kw/260Kw.  These Australian cars are brutal in power delivery!!!

Anyway, I am not expecting miracles from just a UniChip. 

Cheers,
Bernie.
[snapback]154338[/snapback]​

the ford xr6 turbo isnt that brutal if you have the minimum mods fitted to your car, like an exhaust (cat-back) for example....they are, however, quick on take off, from my experience, but whoever was in that ridiculous looking purple xr6 turbo, soon saw me tailights go by....

abd btw...welcome to the forums!

cheers
mr350zed - owen

·
Registered
288 Posts
Welcome Bernard, the 350Z is a great car and even better when modified correctly. Your right in the fact at it's to heavy for the power it's has from the factory, I wish Nissan would release a lighter type 'R' for those of us wanting a more track oriented car, get rid of all those luxuries ie 7 speakers, electric seats, electric windows maybe some lighter panel maybe. Anyway I chose the APS TT path and it's awesome car to drive, though I have problems in getting the power (280rwkw) to the road, nice problem though.

Cheers :cheers:

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
The revs falling isn't as much of a problem as people believe. With the stock setup I found myself having to wait for the revs to drop when upchanging. When downchanging, I heel-toe anyway.

When I had the JUN flywheel installed and drove the car around, my first thought was "it could be lighter". Should I replace my clutch, I might look at getting a 7lb flywheel as well.

I've also got the Unichip ECU installed. Because it makes such a linear increase in power, its a lot harder to feel the difference than with the exhaust (which gives you a kick in the higher end).

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
i went for the black KJR pulley, is this something that will void my warranty? as ideally id like the dealer to fit it on the next service. I have no idea how to loosen the belts or how much to retighten them, etc

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by KY350@Sep 13 2005, 12:28 AM
You should be line ball with an XR6T, unless he's chipped.  I would expect similar from a 255kW HSV.  Did you manage to get a clean start off the line each time or was this a slow roll from the lights for 5km/h and then bury the throttle?
[snapback]154360[/snapback]​

Hi,

I think I know why my car has not been performing "at its best".

What I have forget to mention is that I have fitted a set of 19x8.5 (245/35/ZR19) and 19x9.5 (275/35/ZR19) wheels and tyres. These wheels are very heavy.

I have also added hub-centric spacers to make the wheels "sit out more/fill up the guards".

I have been reading that having heavy wheels, larger diameters and wheel spacers create "unsprung" weight. This means that launches and acceleration times are negative affected.

In the above regard, I am planning to put my original 17inch wheels (fitted to the Touring spec). However, my concern now is whether it will clear the Brembo brakes. Does anybody know of whether the Brembo brakes as fitted on the Track spec will accept 17inch wheels, specifically those fitted to the Touring spec.

Thanks and regards,
Bernie

1 - 20 of 30 Posts