Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well CEL came on this past weekend and I took the Z in Yesterday and they call and tell me they're ordering me a new ECU. WTF? Has anyone else had the same problem? I know my milage is kind of high at 52K but I've never had an ECU go. The problem is that every car I've ever known to have ECU problems always continues to have ECU problems. This is actually making me think about selling the Z. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,

JZ

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Did they give you an error code with the CEL? Was there any explanation as to why the ECU went? Did you notice any problems with the car before the CEL and after it came on? Are you still covered under warranty or are they taking care of you because this is a unique situation? If it is a fluke that your ECU went than I wouldn't base that as a reason to sell the Z. Let us know what you find out.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
They are ordering a new ECU because they can't trace the problem down to any other part. This may be because of the ECU actually being the problem, or something they are overlooking.

If you've ever seen Factory Service Manuals.. Sometimes you can come to the conclusion that the ECU is at fault, incorrectly.

If you like the Z.. stick with it.

Just my 2psi.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't ask for the error code because these guys were starting to piss me off. It took over 24 Hrs for them to diagnose the problem. That tells me that they are probably doing what illz said, simply replacing the ECU because they couldn't find anything else wrong. I luckly bought the extented warranty for the **** of it so it will cost me $50 if anything. They're doing my tire warranty right now too. That was another big problem because they didn't want to do it because they thought I was out of warranty. I gladly proved them wrong and I should have new tires and an alignment when I pick the Z up. This is really becoming the end for me. I've taken the Z in for service more times than all the other cars I've owned put together. I'll probably keep it at least to 5yr/100,000 miles because I'm cover through the extended warranty.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Bringing your car to get fixed should not cost you a penny. They should not be charging you to work on a car that is covered under warranty. Nissan pays for that, not you. The same goes for the tire warranty, Nissan issued a statement about paying for tires that were purchased do to wearing out on one side this also caused the noise. I am sure you probably know about this. What else have you taken the car in for?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My front right suspension continues to make a load popping noise that they say is my brakes but it only happens when I take a sharp left trun. I've done my brakes had them checked out and still the same. I guess I'll see what happens this time.

Driver's side window is basically out of adjustment and has ripped the weather stripping on the door side. "Nissan doesn't warranty weatherstripping after the bumper to bumper factory warranty." So if I want that fixed I'll be paying.

My gas tank now only fills to about 3/4. Not having them check this out at the moment because I can deal with it for the time being and I want my car back so I can go AutoXing this weekend.

And this will be the fifth set of tires Nissan has put on my car. This is what really sets me off. Every 3-8K and my tires are shot. I would understand 15-20K but WTF?

I've had the rear axles fixed once and I think they are starting to click again. Plus the first time they were replaced I started to hear a grinding sound. They said it was my brakes. I checked everything out and there was no way it was my brakes. So I took it back and told them to figure it out. I ended up that one of the hubs they had replaced with the rear axle was bent. So I then had to take it back to have that done when the part finally came in.

That's all I can think of at this time I'm sure more will come to mind.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finally got the Z back today. The apparent code was P0442, EVAP small leak. The problem is that when they went to reprogram the ECM the CONSULT II screen went blank. They rebooted and the ECM then showed INOP. So the way I see it is that they found the problem code but could not pin point the problem because for whatever reason they tried to reprogram the ECM. Now this is all speculation but I guess I will see in the next few months because it takes two trips for this failure to cause the CEL to come on. The reason I say this is because the two times prior to taking the Z in I could only re-fuel to 3/4 from what the guage said...one of the possible problems for the P0442 code, "Fuel level sensor and the circuit." So in about a months time I will finally fill up two times and we'll see if the problem reoccurs.

The ECM "fix" was at the no charge and I ended up getting new tires and an alignment for $60. I'm going to be really pissed if the CEL light comes back on as I'm expecting it to.

Am I thinking wrong?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts