Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping someone will have some input on this. I posted a topic a month or two ago with the same problem and the dealership replaced my ECU.LINK Now the same thing happened to me again at the same exact place, almost the exact same time, speed, etc. This is what happend, I'm coming up to the highway off ramp which is a fairly long hairpin turn, I slow down to 50mph or so and down shift into 3 blip the throttle to match and proceed to accelerate thru the turn, as I get to the initial apex of the turn the car goes into safe mode, SEL light comes on, SLIP light comes on, and RPM's will go no higher than 1000 RPM's. Pull the car over, turn it off wait long enough for the ECU to reset, and restart it. Starts fine, runs fine, no problems. Coincidence? I doubt it but anyway, so I take to the dealership and they check codes. Yes there are 5 codes, I believe they were the same codes as the previous time. So they say they need to keep for awhile to try and get it to act up for them so they can diagnose. Ok, the next day they call saying it acted up but it threw 3 completely different codes then the day before. They are very confused, the codes it threw that time were an ABS code, Engine sensor code, and I believe a throttle code not sure exactly. They have had it for almost a week and of course the bill is adding up since Nissan won't pay for warranty service because of my MODS which is BS since the dealership has already determined that the problem is not because of my mods. We have been racking our brain trying to figure out what the problem is. My mods are headers, test pipes, TD exhaust. I'm not sure if it is because of ABS, VDC because of my wheels, because of my mods, I'm totally confused. Has anyone had this problem or have any idea what might be the problem?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you never found the cause? It's been a real headache, not that it's that painful except for my wallet, but just the not knowing what it is sucks. I guess if nothing comes out of it, I'll just keep resetting the ECU. Then once I get my other mods, I'll have to decide if I want to go piggyback or reflash.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
no, i never found the cause.. it happened 4-5 times over the course of a year.. i thought it was because my gas tank was low..

Was your gas tank low? That would explain why you are experiencing the problem giong around corners.. Could be a faulty gas tank sensor?

·
Registered
54 Posts
This happened to me twice so far, one with low gas about 1/4 tank (3000miles or less on), second time I did have more than half tank (13,000miles on), while on idle position after driving my Z very hard. Had to shut off engine and reset it ( battery off) Looked very stupid with about 50~70 people looking at me on parking lot :monkey:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As far as fuel level, I can't remember exactly how much was in it the first time I would guess somewhere between 1/2 and 1/4. This last time it did it, the fuel level was right at 1/4. The weird thing is a week or so before the last incident I had gone to the same spot where everything went to crap and drove it the exact same way.......no problems at all. Now if I remember correctly we shouldn't have problems with the fuel moving around in the tank because of the baffles, not that it's not possible but seems unlikely. I may be wrong about that.
It's really strange and I can't seem to figure it out and neither can the techs. So since Nissan will not pay for the warranty work because I don't have cats, I'm going to replace the cats to see if the problem happens again, and take it back to the dealership. I've already discussed that situation, and they said they would do the warranty at no charge if the cats are reinstalled. Even though the service guys are almost 100% sure it's not because of the cats Nissan still will not pay. I think that's a bunch of BS but what can you do?

·
Registered
106 Posts
****, that sux man, i highly doubt it has anything to do with exhaust i wouldnt waist your time, i kinda think these cars have an electrical prob, just last night had somethin similar, k here goes, i was bout to race a ram air firebird, so i f up the launch and bog, still keep up and as soon as i get to bout the top of second the car like dies, and the slip/service engine lights come on, and the car bout dies, like i was floring it and it wouldnt rev above 1k, so after i run a red light to get off this busy intersection i turned of car for a min and then it ran fine,

but still had the sel on, and i was a little less than 1/4 tank (think this had somethin to do with it) even after undoing the battery light is still on, so i get it checked and it read one code that said tps sensor malf, so i erase code off of stored codes, and now its gone(only drove bout 5 miles so far) and hopefully it stays gone, freakin weird gotta love these cars, i will post if anything else happens/changes. good luck hope this helps. p.s. this was with the traction controll OFF

·
Registered
62 Posts
Originally posted by badass1g@Jun 18 2005, 04:00 PM
****, that sux man, i highly doubt it has anything to do with exhaust i wouldnt waist your time, i kinda think these cars have an electrical prob, just last night had somethin similar, k here goes, i was bout to race a ram air firebird, so i f up the launch and bog, still keep up and as soon as i get to bout the top of second the car like dies, and the slip/service engine lights come on, and the car bout dies, like i was floring it and it wouldnt rev above 1k, so after i run a red light to get off this busy intersection i turned of car for a min and then it ran fine,

but still had the sel on, and i was a little less than 1/4 tank (think this had somethin to do with it) even after undoing the battery light is still on, so i get it checked and it read one code that said tps sensor malf, so i erase code off of stored codes, and now its gone(only drove bout 5 miles so far) and hopefully it stays gone, freakin weird gotta love these cars, i will post if anything else happens/changes. good luck hope this helps. p.s. this was with the traction controll OFF
[snapback]117145[/snapback]​

I had this problem as well. I was backing out of a parking spot at the cleaners with about 1/8 tank of gas when the RPMs fell off and the dashboard lit up. I too, cut off the car and restarted about 2 minutes later. The SES light stayed on and the ECU had 2 codes: both P2135! I called dealer service and they said not to clear the error. I guess they want to see it for themselves before replacing the TPS under warranty.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Originally posted by C-Lawd+Jun 18 2005, 04:18 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-badass1g
@Jun 18 2005, 04:00 PM

[snapback]117145[/snapback]​

I had this problem as well. I was backing out of a parking spot at the cleaners with about 1/8 tank of gas when the RPMs fell off and the dashboard lit up. I too, cut off the car and restarted about 2 minutes later. The SES light stayed on and the ECU had 2 codes: both P2135! I called dealer service and they said not to clear the error. I guess they want to see it for themselves before replacing the TPS under warranty.
[snapback]117185[/snapback]​

This may be a stupid question but how did you read the ECU code without taking it to the dealer?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Originally posted by badass1g@Jun 22 2005, 09:44 PM
auto zone/checker rents the tool to do this it took like 2 seconds and didnt cost a penny :)
[snapback]119647[/snapback]​

Thanks. I'm having problems with the service engine soon light after APS TT install. I think I'll do that instead of relying on the installer.

·
Registered
106 Posts
****, i just had this same thing happen again, this time it was while attepting to drift on the canyon roads, this **** isstarting to piss me off

·
Registered
50 Posts
Originally posted by badass1g@Jun 28 2005, 04:31 PM
****, i just had this same thing happen again, this time it was while attepting to drift on the canyon roads, this **** isstarting to piss me off

Your answer might lay here ...

http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10292

It happens to me on sharp corners ...

The resolution discussed worked for me :cheers:

Catcha

1 - 14 of 14 Posts