Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i installed an AAM plenum spacer recently and i have read on other posts that it takes about a week for the ECU to get accustomed to the change. I drove it when i could the past week and a half because of bad weather. when will i know the ECU has adapted? My main concern is that I have gotten on the car pretty well a few times for the **** of it during the times I have taken it out, and was wondering if this would have f'ed up the car if the ECU was not completely set right after the spacer install.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
It does not take a week for the ECU to "adapt" to the mod. imo, the ECU isn't going to adapt much either. The ECU runs several different timing maps. So if you want the most aggressive, either reset the ECU or drive more aggressively and the ECU may switch to the other map if conditions are okay.

And, No. You haven't damaged the Ecu.

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
In imo, the ECU isn't going to adapt much either.

Agreed, the ECU doesn't really adapt much to aftermarket modifications without 3rd party help such as the TS reflash or UTEC.

·
Registered
728 Posts
ECU flash IMO is a waste. When people say, "ECU doesn't really adapt much to aftermarket modifications" what they are really saying is, n/a mods provide VERY little gains and you get a tiny bit more out of them with a custom tune. If you want more out of your car n/a get a utec, unichip, EU, S-AFC or splt second box - something that can be custom tuned and potentially be used for FI down the road

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
UTEC is the best piggyback for the money and i have installed it. i also had it tuned and be sure to check out my thread about it. i gained some nice numbers from the UTEC.

My mods are:
UTEC
APS plenum
Kinteix resonated test pipes
Borla TD
JWT intake

·
Registered
728 Posts
UTEC is the best piggyback for the money and i have installed it. i also had it tuned and be sure to check out my thread about it. i gained some nice numbers from the UTEC.

My mods are:
UTEC
APS plenum
Kinteix resonated test pipes
Borla TD
JWT intake

Quantify "nice numbers"???

like 15 whp??? Come on guys. A grand + tuning for 15 whp. I'll keep my money in my pocket.

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Ziv the whole purpose was to see the gains this thing gave on a NA car. the real reason i got it, is when i go turbo.

go ahead and keep your money and add all those mods to your car and to me thats a waste. People are not going to get the most gains out of these mods by just adding them to the car. the whole point is to tune your car to your mods.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Ziv the whole purpose was to see the gains this thing gave on a NA car. the real reason i got it, is when i go turbo.
go ahead and keep your money and add all those mods to your car and to me thats a waste. People are not going to get the most gains out of these mods by just adding them to the car. the whole point is to tune your car to your mods.

if you go turbo, you are going to "add all those mods to your car and to me thats a waste" just like I did

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
waste, are you serious? what have i added thats a waste besides an intake? to be honest everything i have added will compliment the turbo kit i am going with.

See you went with the APS which uses the unichip. I will buy a tuner greddy kit, sell the emanage, and use the UTEC to tune it. The test pipes, exhaust, and plenum will be a nice addition to the setup.

The only other thing i will get will be bigger injectors and i will have a nice safe setup.

·
Registered
728 Posts
waste, are you serious? what have i added thats a waste besides an intake? to be honest everything i have added will compliment the turbo kit i am going with.

See you went with the APS which uses the unichip. I will buy a tuner greddy kit, sell the emanage, and use the UTEC to tune it. The test pipes, exhaust, and plenum will be a nice addition to the setup.

The only other thing i will get will be bigger injectors and i will have a nice safe setup.
I didn't mean what I said in the text you read it, nor did I read what you posted in the test you meant it. that said, you will want a more free flowing exhaust than the borla, so that is gone. Kinetix products are down right junk, so I would replace those. The intake, well, we all know that is history. So, you are left with your utec and plenum.

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
well the borla will serve it purpose as im not looking to make a 500hp car and the test pipes will do fine.

anyways lets get back on topic

·
Registered
450 Posts
i installed an AAM plenum spacer recently and i have read on other posts that it takes about a week for the ECU to get accustomed to the change. I drove it when i could the past week and a half because of bad weather. when will i know the ECU has adapted? My main concern is that I have gotten on the car pretty well a few times for the **** of it during the times I have taken it out, and was wondering if this would have f'ed up the car if the ECU was not completely set right after the spacer install.
If you can't get the information on the forums, just call Mike at AAM and talk with him and his staff.

·
Registered
728 Posts
well the borla will serve it purpose as im not looking to make a 500hp car and the test pipes will do fine.

anyways lets get back on topic

That's easy to say now - untill you've walked the walked and not just thought about it, nothing is certain.

Edit: As far as back on topic, not only have all the questions that were asked been answered, there is a obviously under utilized search feature that could be used

Questions answered in the very first response:
It does not take a week for the ECU to "adapt" to the mod. imo, the ECU isn't going to adapt much either. The ECU runs several different timing maps. So if you want the most aggressive, either reset the ECU or drive more aggressively and the ECU may switch to the other map if conditions are okay.

And, No. You haven't damaged the Ecu.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts