Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my e-brake is malfunctioning. The other day I park and put the e-brake, I let go of the actual brake itself, and the car rolls back a bit. So I stepped on the brakes again and pulled the e-brake higher. Is this normal? There is a slight delcine where I parked.
Is this something I should worry about or one of those "natural" things the dealers claim to be?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
The dealer might have to adjust the brake. There is a way to do it yourself, but I would take it to the dealer. That's not normal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought I was done with minor defects on cars, oh well. Thanks for the info. I guess I will take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
598 Posts
mine does that too. its usually because i just didn't pull it up enough. lowrider hit it on the head with being in gear, especially on a hill.
mdzowner

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mines useless also, really have to pull hard and even then it slips back a bit.

Put it across a Bosch suspension / brake tester yesterday and bingo a 38% difference in rear handbrake force. The passanger left is freeloading.

Booked it into service as its still under warranty ( just ) and will be interested in what they say and who they blame.

Strange becase the 200SX handbreak was good, so why bad on the 350 ?

·
Registered
470 Posts
i tried this once and it worked , u pull the e brake and then go in reverse and acelerate a little very slowly the e brake wil get harder and harder till all of a suden the car stops, worked on mine!!

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
[/quote]

Its only meant to hold the car on perfectly level ground. On any hill whatsoever, put the car in gear. The e-brake is in case the car rolls on its own on level ground. Leaving it in gear is in case the e-brake fails, and you are on a hill.

The weight of the car SHOULD NOT rest on the gear. Its bad for the tranny. Rather, it should be placed on the brake first, then the gear should be selected.

To do this, stop the car on the hill. Pull the parking brake. Release brake pedal. Car will settle. NOW place car in gear opposite the natural direction of travel. (Facing downhill, use reverse. Facing uphill, use 1st.)

Hope this helps!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts