Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, there is always the talk about those performance chips that supposidly add 20+ HP just by adding them on. Rule of thumb, if it soulds too good to be true, it is. They add faked dyno reports and pictures of thier business to make themselves look legit. This is a list of the ones i found just today on ebay:

Z Performance module by a seller called rev-it-up-performance. Rating 93.2%

nice building, looks empty for a thriving business.

20+ hp Speed Chip seller sylvains0- Rating 97.3%

another claim that a resistor chip can be added to increase power.

also

$200 dollar bodykits are worth just that amount. will cost you triple to get it just to fit right, then no guarantees it will last. Aother note just because the item says NISMO on it or is claimed to be a JDM part don't mean that it really is

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If anyone else sees items like this on Ebay or other places, please post them up in this thread with their description and who is selling these items so others may be warned or informed and not make a mistake that can possibly harm their car or wallet

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
a guy on another board purchased one of these and took apart to see inside... WOW.. it is wires going in.. looping and connecting to a FUSE..and back out.... lol i dont see how this guy is selling this crap.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Dont ever, ever buy crap like this from a company. Especially this one. You can notice that the sign on the building is even photoshopped on there. I had read through their feedbacks and even though it has like a 93%, thats horrible. Never do business with someone with a rating below 98-100%. There were so many horrible reviews for this product and the company was very childish in their replies.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
I think that it is supposed to act as a 0 ohm resistor. Im not definate but its supposed to change around your air fuel mixture by confusing you car some way. NOT GOOD AT ALL TO DO! Stay away form this garbage.

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, it is just another one of those chip things that claim to raise your HP by 22+ hp. why 22? how about 25, that is a nice round number

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
22 cause using numbers that aren't multiples of 5 makes it seem more legit because most people who pick random numbers will pick a multiple of 5.

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the best one yet. this description pretty much details everyone of these things

Stage III Chip

The German Engineered Module is a BRAND NEW product that is now available only in the United States and Germany! This module is designed compete with the JET V-Chip at a fraction of the cost. The German Engineered Module will not only compete with other higher priced V-Chip, but will OUTPERFORM other competing modules and chips others are selling on eBay!!! Step by step instructions will be included along with all necessary hardware to complete the installation. Every vehicles / motorcycles have an Electronic Control Unit (ECU). This unit electronically manages and monitors your vehicle’s performance. The ECU is made to meet government regulations. In other words, your engine could perform much better and could be getting more power if the ECU is replaced. This replacement could easily cost drivers over $1500. The German Engineered Module will make the same adjustment without the high cost of replacing the complete ECU.

Gain 9-13 True Horse Power!!! No Soldering Required!!!

Here is how it works:

Every vehicle / motorcycle has an Electronic Control Unit (ECU). The ECU regulates the fuel / oxygen ratios. The stock setting for most modern ECUs is set at a ratio of 15.2:1. This ratio represents power and fuel economy, which makes most drivers satisfy with the current performance. In other words, the ratio above leans out oxygen causing loss of power, but enhance fuel efficiency. The German Engineered Module will automatically adjust the fuel/oxygen ratio to remain between 14:1 and 16:9. This ratio will give your engine most power gain and only losing about ½ mile per gallon on fuel. Our performance module will increase your car’s performance by automatically adjusting your vehicles ratio to the preferred ratio between 13 and 15.2.

Installation is done in 15 minutes!!! Instructions are Included!!!

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
I would definately stay away from any of these cheap oil caps. It is not normally one solid piece of metal and does have screws that could come loose and end up in your engine. I have heard of this in more than one instance.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Another thing to be careful of is the mention of JDM. JDM has become such a buzzword that a lot of people throw it onto their auction just to bring in bidders. Whenever you see it, if you're not certain that the item is JDM, research it. If you can't find it anywhere online, don't be afraid to inquire about it here.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Originally posted by Dave079@Apr 29 2004, 11:33 PM
I think that it is supposed to act as a 0 ohm resistor. Im not definate but its supposed to change around your air fuel mixture by confusing you car some way. NOT GOOD AT ALL TO DO! Stay away form this garbage.

In the Ls1 community we called this a "timing tricker". A 5 for $1 resistor from Radio Shack that plugs into the MAF wires and fools it into thinking that the incoming air is 52 degrees. This will increase your timing, therefore increasing power. UNLESS OF COURSE it causes spark knock, thereby LOSING POWER!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Originally posted by Steve350Z@Apr 28 2004, 05:11 PM
Ok, there is always the talk about those performance chips that supposidly add 20+ HP just by adding them on.  Rule of thumb, if it soulds too good to be true, it is.  They add faked dyno reports and pictures of thier business to make themselves look legit.  This is a list of the ones i found just today on ebay:

Z Performance module by a seller called rev-it-up-performance. Rating 93.2%

nice building, looks empty for a thriving business.

20+ hp Speed Chip seller sylvains0- Rating 97.3%

another claim that a resistor chip can be added to increase power.

also

$200 dollar bodykits are worth just that amount.  will cost you triple to get it just to fit right, then no guarantees it will last.  Aother note just because the item says NISMO on it or is claimed to be a JDM part don't mean that it really is

This is in response to your comments about e-bay: There are alot of "knock off's" or fake stuff that is made in China or some other country and someone from the U.S. buy those products in bulk then sells them to a buyer which in turn sells them on e-bay. I will buy nothing on e-bay for my Z but I have for my CRX such as lighting products but nothing mechanical.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Originally posted by Steve350Z@Apr 30 2004, 10:42 AM
the best one yet.  this description pretty much details everyone of these things

Stage III Chip

The German Engineered Module is a BRAND NEW product that is now available only in the United States and Germany!  This module is designed compete with the JET V-Chip at a fraction of the cost.  The German Engineered Module will not only compete with other higher priced V-Chip, but will OUTPERFORM other competing modules and chips others are selling on eBay!!! Step by step instructions will be included along with all necessary hardware to complete the installation.  Every vehicles / motorcycles have an Electronic Control Unit (ECU).  This unit electronically manages and monitors your vehicle’s performance.  The ECU is made to meet government regulations. In other words, your engine could perform much better and could be getting more power if the ECU is replaced. This replacement could easily cost drivers over $1500. The German Engineered Module will make the same adjustment without the high cost of replacing the complete ECU. 

Gain 9-13 True Horse Power!!! No Soldering Required!!!

Here is how it works:

Every vehicle / motorcycle has an Electronic Control Unit (ECU).  The ECU regulates the fuel / oxygen ratios.  The stock setting for most modern ECUs is set at a ratio of 15.2:1.  This ratio represents power and fuel economy, which makes most drivers satisfy with the current performance.  In other words, the ratio above leans out oxygen causing loss of power, but enhance fuel efficiency.  The German Engineered Module will automatically adjust the fuel/oxygen ratio to remain between 14:1 and 16:9.  This ratio will give your engine most power gain and only losing about ½ mile per gallon on fuel.  Our performance module will increase your car’s performance by automatically adjusting your vehicles ratio to the preferred ratio between 13 and 15.2.

Installation is done in 15 minutes!!! Instructions are Included!!!

I almost got one of those for my BMW 330 Ci (now I have a Z). I am glad I did not. I have seen alot of fake and cheaping looking stuff. I did buy a cold air intake for a 2002 Tundra (v-8) I used to own and I actaully got lucky. It was a good one but not name brand.

·
Registered
65 Posts
There's an even bigger scam going on and it's being aided by a legitimate magazine - Import Tuner. I've noticed over the last year or so, all of their "PowerPages" segments have been installing the "Direct Power Systems" ground kit.

It's not the classic grounding kit that we're all familiar with (5 - 7 wires). It's a box with three wires coming from it. MSRP of over $300. Looks suspiciously like the thing debunked on My350Z last year.

They regularly mention that they've seen gains of up to 19 hp on some turbo charged cars but in all the cars they've actually added it to, there is little to no measurable gain. Any difference is well within the tolerance and repeatability of the dyno.

I can't imagine why a reputable magazine would fall for this BS. This guy must be paying them big kick-backs. BTW, they don't ever list a website for this product. All they have is a US distributor (Tee's USA) and a phone number. The phone number actually belong to Lot USA (www.lot-usa.com) which has link to another site with the Direct Power System box:

http://www.k-g-racing.com/lot_usa/dps.html

Check out the "Secrets of Direct Power System" link, it has a diagram that is exactly what was found in the box disassembled in the My350Z exposé.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
[/quote]

yeah, here is the pic of the chip exposed
<div align="right">[snapback]69632[/snapback]
[/quote]
Thats so **** pathetic

1 - 20 of 23 Posts