Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got my first dyno test yesterday at Speedquest in Waukegan, IL. They used a dynojet in 3rd gear. The conditions were 70 F, 29.14 Hg, humidity 30%, SAE 1.00. My Z has about 18,500 mi. and it was about a 40 minute drive to Speedquest. Now for the ho-hum results.

1st pull 240.5 Hp
220 TQ
2nd pull 243.5 Hp
223 TQ
AF 14.7 -13
I was kind of disappointed with the results because they seemed low compared to other results I have viewed for similar Zs and ones with mods like my own. Is a 3rd gear dyno much different than a 4th or 5th gear dyno? The time between pulls was a couple of minutes.
Let me know what you guys think. Do I need a tune? I need a little bit of an explanation.

I will post my dyno sheets when they e-mail them to me
:doh:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
If your car is a manual, they should have done it in 5th gear. What were they thinking?

I think your hp #'s are okay, but I'd venture that the plenum is part of your problem.

Ah, I just noticed you have a 7 wire kit, so you must be auto. The dyno numbers for autos are generally lower than manuals.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
a/f readout?

ecu flash in your future?
I put the A/F readout below the 2 pulls. I thought 14.7 to 13 was good? Is an ECU reflash similar to a dyno ECU remapping tune?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If your car is a manual, they should have done it in 5th gear. What were they thinking?

I think your hp #'s are okay, but I'd venture that the plenum is part of your problem.

Ah, I just noticed you have a 7 wire kit, so you must be auto. The dyno numbers for autos are generally lower than manuals.
No I have a manual. I will go count the wires.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
I put the A/F readout below the 2 pulls. I thought 14.7 to 13 was good? Is an ECU reflash similar to a dyno ECU remapping tune?

you just posted 2 numbers.. I meant more like the graph / chart. So you can read it. 14.7 and 13 isn't helpful.

An ECU reflash is an ECU remapping. You can do this on or off the dyno, in shop or mail order.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
No I have a manual. I will go count the wires.
You should only have installed 5 wires. Not that it's a big deal...

Also, I had a dyno done and it was in fifth gear. Autos should be done in fourth. I had less mods but made better numbers. I wonder if your exhaust is causing lower numbers. Maybe your car isn't breathing well enough, if that makes any sense. Sometimes the wrong combination of mods can do that.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I thought plenum was a good thing?

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
one day people will realize that dynos don't mean **** for comparison sake.

continent to continent. there are a LOT of differences. Operator, conditions, make of dyno, etc..

There was a guy that drove his car into a shop to get it tuned.. He was disappointed with only 650whp. Later that day he took it to another shop down the road and made 780whp. No change.

Too many variables.

Dyno doesn't equal real life driving conditions.. ESP. air flow to the intake, rad and intercooler.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hue,

If you have a printout or file from that day.. post it. And I'll go over it and tell you what's going on.
Thank-you for the input. Speedquest should be emailing me the results, if they don't I will scan the print outs.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Well first off you have no BASELINE dyno to compare to.Had you did a baseline before modding at all you would have seen any gains or losses.Right now you just dont know what you made HP wise over stock. 3rd hear is the wrong gear to dyno in on the Z,4th gear is better but 5th is ideal, but takes longer and puts more strain on the motor. We need to see you A/F graph please.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts