Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just made a few pulls on my 04 350z yesterday in East Hartford. My car is an 04 that i purchased new with 12 miles on it. At the dyno, it had 5400 miles on it with synthetic fluid put in two weeks ago.

Anyway I did 4th and 5th gear pulls with and without the ground kit.

Best one was 238.9 with 232 torque in 5th, this was done on a dynojet. Car was bone stock, is it good or bad? I think my first pull on the dyno was 236 or 237

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Those are some pretty good #'s for a stock Z.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Yeah, nice #'s for a stock pull. The ground kit has been tested to add up to 3hp (I think) on a stock Z. Obviously, it has done you some good.

I used a dynojet back in December and got 251hp and 252 ft-lb, but I had a little bit more done to my car.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
[/quote]
if i remember correctly, doesnt every dyno fluctuate i number up to 5%?? if so how the **** could you measure a 3 hp gain and write that off as a grounding kit gain. Sounds like bs to me :)
<div align="right">[snapback]85720[/snapback]
[/quote]
I've also heard that the warmer your oil gets, the more hp you gain after each pull...:dunno: So my 'science' is as good as the next claim. :rolf2:

As I wrote the number 3, I was thinking in the back of my mind that it could also represent a percentage, but that is too farfetched. I think 3hp would be the max one could squeeze out of the wires in THE MOST OPTIMUM setting.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The ground kit didnt do jack, car ran the same with or without it. I was within 1hp of my 4th and 5th gear run with and without the ground wires. I will do more review on it when I get home, but I wouldnt get a ground kit if you are looking to gain power. I pulled 238.9 with the ground kit, I think 238.4 withoout?

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Can you post the dyno sheets? Did you get the A/F done as well?

Average 2003-2005 287HP 350Z models with a 6MT will dyno on a Dynojet that is SAE corrected on the east coast at around 238-244 rear wheel horsepower bone stock. West coast's seem to be a little lower. Dynapack's usually read slightly lower and Mustang dyno's dyno significantly lower.

And as mentioned, the same dyno on the same day is still going to read slightly different numbers on each pull. But if you do ~3 base dyno's and 3 after dyno's, you can come up with an average. :)

I agree about them not doing much, Dave was right, it's 1-3hp...not much, which is why i'd just get a Max Ground 5-wire kit off of Ebay (seller: z327) for $45 (cheapest i've seen, and these are custom made for the 350Z), $45 for 1-3hp and some other better features are worth it IMO.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The dyno guy hasnt post the dynosheets online yet, but I do have the # here.

4th gear run
with ground wire 237.3hp 229.1 torque
w/o ground wire 237.8hp 229.2 torque

5th gear run
with ground wire 238.6hp 232.2 torque
w/o ground wire 237.0hp 230.9 torque (car was cold)

I did AF too, but it looks weird. The car is around 12:1 between 2-4K, 14:1 between 4000-5500rpm and it slowly drops to 12.5:1 up to redline. I think the fuel cut on the car is exactly 6600 (redline)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would love to see one of those HKS ground kit and see how different they are compare to the el cheapo ones on ebay

·
Registered
87 Posts
[/quote]

HKS uses 8 gauge wire so you will see less improvement in grounding then the 4 gauge wire kits.

Its not the name but the quality of the components that are important. High strand count 4 gauge OFC wire is important as is gold plated copper terminals.

Its hard to do a couple of runs on a single car and draw any conclusions. Every car is a little different and some will see more benefit then others. I did my dyno testing the same day at the same dyno with many other 350Z's so I would have more data to look at.

Don't expect big gains from a $50 to $100 mod. A grounding kit should be looked at as one more piece of the puzzle. Unless you spend big bucks on FI the gains are incremental and in most cases addative.

For NA cars a ground kit, CAI, exhaust, pullies, headers, hi-flow cats and improved plenums seem to be a good combination.

I did the ground kit first, then the CAI and then the exhaust. Mostly because they were the easiest mods to do myself. I have a 2005 lower plenum that I am going to flow test and then polish and port. Again this is an easier project then the headers so that is why I'm doing it next.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts