Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I note Duncan's comments in the topic on "Best Mods etc" that he is very pleased with his Dunlop SP Sport 9000 tyres and, after 14,000km on the same tyres, I certainly agree with him.

Tyres have long been an issue on this forum with feathering and noise frequently being mentioned, but this has not been an issue for me. Naturally there is some noise, but this has to be expected given that I am running 19" with 35 profile and 38psi.

In brief:

- Tyre wear has been very good and I expect to get somewhere close to 30,000km. I havn't done any track days but don't hesitate to give the car a bootful on occasions
- Handling is excellent with good feel. Bucket loads of confidence.
- Noise levels are very acceptable
- Very good in the wet
- Virtually no "tracking" despite running 245 on the front and 275 on the rear

The downside is the cost and I expect a number of readers will think I've got rocks in my head when I say that I paid $570 for the fronts (245.35.19) and $745 for the rears (275.35.19), but there are very few choices in these sizes. The price is likely to have come down now that there are more cars running on 19s.

I havn't tried other tyres on the car (except for the original Bridgestones) so comparisons are not possible, but I would have no hesitation in putting the same tyres on again - even if I have to dig deep!! Could be a case of you get what you pay for.

cheers
coatsie

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I expect a number of readers will think I've got rocks in my head when I say that I paid $570 for the fronts (245.35.19) and $745 for the rears (275.35.19)

Was that cost per tyre, or per pair of tyres? It sounds like you payed $570 for the 2 fronts, which is really, really cheap ie. $285 per tyre!! So I pressume that you meant that you payed $570 per front tyre.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I'd say $570 for the front.

My Direzza DZ101s cost $300 a corner in 235/45/17, and the SP Sport 9000 are Dunlop's flagship street tyre.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I've previously put up my review for the Direzza DZ101s, and I'm quite happy with their on-road performance as well, especially in the wet.

I guess Dunlop just do better street tyres. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
yeah I paid around $2200 for a full set in 18s, so about 400 more for 19s.

And I stand by them as being great road tyres, I've used heaps of performance street tyres and R tyres over the years and these are just as good as the falken fk451.

·
Registered
77 Posts
BTW on the topic of cost I know $2k sounds like a lot for tyres but I have never understood spending $70k on a sports car and then compromising the handling to save a couple of hundred dollars.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
whats the contact patch compare to the Bridgestone SO2 and SO3? anyone???

my SO2 275 actually looks quite small compare to other 275 tyres though... weird...

cheers,

richie

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Apologies for any confusion, but the costs quoted ($570 front and $745 rear) were per tyre. Total cost $2630 which is certainly not cheap, but "what the ****"!

Nice to know that others have enjoyed the same experience.

cheers
coatsie

·
Registered
77 Posts
sorry I don't really know how to accurately measure that, the car can roll up onto the edge of the tyres at times.

But certainly there is an enourmous range of actual widths with road car tyres, it is up to the manufacturer to decide how they actually measure it. If you compare road car tyres to semi slick (r type ) tyres you will see the semi slicks are very wide for the same size.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts